UPDATED: 5 People Shot At 3 Different Gun Shows On Gun Appreciation Day

Context: Considering gun shows are statistically a thousand times safer its kind of a oranges and apples thing........ :eusa_whistle:

they are? tell that to the people who were shot. it's like hit-by-lightning stats., I don't golf so my risk is lower than some. I don't swim when storms are approaching...

Uummmm, your implication appeared to be a comparison between the two, I referenced the statistical, not the emotive..........

In my city, not being young or in a gang, my chances of getting shot are about nil...

it's all about full context. Most gun violence in America is not random.

they are? tell that to the people who were shot. it's like hit-by-lightning stats., I don't golf so my risk is lower than some. I don't swim when storms are approaching...

Uummmm, your implication appeared to be a comparison between the two, I referenced the statistical, not the emotive..........

In my city, not being young or in a gang, my chances of getting shot are about nil...

Yet for purely political reasons it's emotive .
And based on your above statement and claimed context, that makes the accidents being discussed non random........ Interesting........

Ron White said it best... "You can't fix stupid."

reaganamnesty.png

Cars are a neccesary item to get around in. And we have been making safer cars and roads in the past decades. Guns for most people are an ego item. Nobody needs a gun that can fire 30 rounds in under 10 seconds, and reload in 2 seconds or less. Yet, in this nation, by present trends, deaths from guns will exceed deaths from autos in less than two years.

Report: Gun Deaths Will Exceed Traffic Deaths By 2015 - Business Insider

By 2015 more people will be killed by guns than by traffic accidents, according to a startling chart compiled by Bloomberg Government's Alex Tribou.

Motor vehicle deaths have declined 22 percent since 2005 while gun fatalities — including homicide, suicide and accidents — have steadily risen from a low point in 2000.

The decline of traffic accident fatalities — which coincides with deliberate moves to cut back on drunk driving, increase seatbelt use and enforce car safety standards — and the increase in gun fatalities will lead to a massive change in 2015.

At the current rates, gun deaths should hit around 33,000 annually in 2015 while traffic fatalities should decrease to around 32,000, according to Bloomberg estimates.

Read more: Report: Gun Deaths Will Exceed Traffic Deaths By 2015 - Business Insider

And based on your above statement and claimed context, that makes the accidents being discussed non random........ Interesting........

people speak of the mean streets being dangerous because of gun violence. That's only for a relative handful/segment of society.

of course an accidental shooting at a gun show hits people randomly. but with all the talk about safety and responsibility on the part of gun owners who want few if any regulations...it's ironic to have this shooting at this time.

and I feel safer in my city streets than I would at a gun show. Not saying I wouldn't attend any...but I'd be careful around most everyone .. especially the bullshitters who preach safety. I'm a cautious individual

people speak of the mean streets being dangerous because of gun violence. That's only for a relative handful/segment of society.

of course an accidental shooting at a gun show hits people randomly. but with all the talk about safety and responsibility on the part of gun owners who want few if any regulations...it's ironic to have this shooting at this time.

and I feel safer in my city streets than I would at a gun show. Not saying I wouldn't attend any...but I'd be careful around most everyone .. especially the bullshitters who preach safety. I'm a cautious individual

Point understood.
However, violence, in many of it's forms, on the mean streets, can be and occasionally is "random". Statistically speaking, gun shows are safer by a huge margin.
When I use "random" in this context I'm referring to criminals who randomly pick what they perceive to be easy marks, simply because that person is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Point understood.
However, violence, in many of it's forms, on the mean streets, can be and occasionally is "random". Statistically speaking, gun shows are safer by a huge margin.
When I use "random" in this context I'm referring to criminals who randomly pick what they perceive to be easy marks, simply because that person is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think very little gun violence happens during random robberies of persons on streets.

Of course gun shows are relatively safe, but with all the bullshit about gun owners being responsible...

too many accidental shootings. I am very careful around most people who have guns. I know a collector who actually has special licenses for guns like Tommy Guns...always felt safe around him because he was not a blowhard or careless in anything he did. most people are careless.

Point understood.
An accidental discharge of a firearm should not be construed as "gun violence" whether it happened at a gun show or elsewhere. It does qualify as an incident that would not have happened if all guns had been confiscated, but it does not represent a legitimate point to argue for the confiscation of all guns.

Point understood.

I think very little gun violence happens during random robberies of persons on streets.

Of course gun shows are relatively safe, but with all the bullshit about gun owners being responsible...

too many accidental shootings. I am very careful around most people who have guns. I know a collector who actually has special licenses for guns like Tommy Guns...always felt safe around him because he was not a blowhard or careless in anything he did. most people are careless.

I'm a collector, reenactor, target shooter, trained, certified and qualified private law enforcement officer (not security officer), former military and have been around firearms all my life. Honestly I've found myself doing something stupid on two occasions, one was handing a pistol to a friend without locking back the slide even though I had removed the magazine. The other was when I was ramming powder down my Enfield musket and realized my hand was over the top of the ramrod. If the powder had ignited I would have had a metal ramrod half way through my hand. Yes, even experts can make mistakes.
I also don't step out into a cross walk without looking. Sure I have the right-of-way but a vehicle with a distracted driver doesn't care about that..... :lol:

Point understood.
An accidental discharge of a firearm should not be construed as "gun violence" whether it happened at a gun show or elsewhere. It does qualify as an incident that would not have happened if all guns had been confiscated, but it does not represent a legitimate point to argue for the confiscation of all guns.
Never said it did. :eusa_eh:

Accident while being checked
a gun accidentally discharged and shot two people at the show’s safety check-in booth just after 1 pm. Both victims were transported to an area hospital, and the Raleigh Fire Department announced that the show would be closed for the rest of the day.
Self inflected
In Ohio, the local ABC affiliate reports that one individual was brought to a hospital by EMS, and in Indiana Channel 8 WISH says that an individual shot himself in the hand while trying to reload his gun in the show parking lot. That brings the tally to 4 victims of gun violence so far at three different gun shows during the country’s first Gun Appreciation Day.
SHIT HAPPENS.

Point understood.

OR any guns.

Point understood.

wtf is talking about confiscation? give it a rest.

and accidental gun wounds and gun deaths can be classified as gun violence

Point understood.

I'm a collector, reenactor, target shooter, trained, certified and qualified private law enforcement officer (not security officer), former military and have been around firearms all my life. Honestly I've found myself doing something stupid on two occasions, one was handing a pistol to a friend without locking back the slide even though I had removed the magazine. The other was when I was ramming powder down my Enfield musket and realized my hand was over the top of the ramrod. If the powder had ignited I would have had a metal ramrod half way through my hand. Yes, even experts can make mistakes.
I also don't step out into a cross walk without looking. Sure I have the right-of-way but a vehicle with a distracted driver doesn't care about that..... :lol:

which makes the case that being around guns can be and is often dangerous.

no problem, I do dangerous, but I do not call it by something else. We need honesty in debate on gun control. All sides play with euphemisms and bullshit.

Guns are here to stay. Millions out there. 2nd amendment. What do we do?

Point understood.

Can be but isn't by the FBI an other non agenda driven organizations...... for obvious reasons, accidental stabbings aren't classified as knife violence....... :dunno:

Can be but isn't by the FBI an other non agenda driven organizations...... for obvious reasons, accidental stabbings aren't classified as knife violence....... :dunno:

people conflate gun violence and accidents with crime. although some gun accidents carry criminal negligence on the part of the owners

everyone has an agenda on some level

Forum List

Back