Universal healthcare is the price for retaining no considerations for previous conditions

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Supposn, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Supposn

Supposn VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Universal healthcare is the price for retaining no considerations for previous conditions.

The cost of medical insurance is the cost of medical products, (i.e. goods and services) including the costs of medical insurance. Obviously, medical insurance costs more if all other medical goods and services cost more. We in the USA have not found a method to reduce all medical costs, so naturally, our medical insurance is more expensive.

The least expensive per capita method to administrate medical insurance, is single payer government administrated basic medical insurance, augmented by commercial insurers for coverage of products or procedures beyond basic medical insurance.

Our nation's per capita medical costs would be less if every person would receive basic annual medical screening tests appropriate for their age and previous medical condition regardless of their ability to pay the costs. A stitch in time saves nine is a rhyme. I suppose late diagnoses and treatment cost our nation more than 900% of universal screening expenses.

[I''m on Medicare, and I think I've been told that there are certain medical screenings that require no co-pay. I believe similar clauses are within all medical insurance policies that qualify for Romneycare].

Commercial insurance was unobtainable for the majority of USA's elderly. Now Medicare and Medicaid serving most of them, but there's still the problem for those that are not so extremely impoverished as to qualify for Medicaid, but cannot afford the 20% coinsurance and the 100% annual deductibles required by Medicare.

USA citizens want affordable insurance that cannot be denied due to pre-existing conditions. That's inconceivable unless every, or almost every USA legal resident is medically insured. I don't suppose that's feasible unless medical insurance is an entitlement of every USA citizen.

Almost all catastrophically expensive medical expenses are effectively now paid by insurance plans and/or our federal and state governments. Millionaires cannot afford to be uninsured; uninsured millionaires are extremely rare.

USA now has child health insurance plans of the states, (i.e. CHIPS), Medicaid, veteran hospitals, Medicaid, Medicare, commercial, non-profits, and charitable hospitals, clinics, and insurance plans. If we continue adding patches, or evolve to some other method for funding medical insurance, I suppose that basic medical screening and catastrophic medical expenses should be the entitlement of every USA citizen. What we have now is of greater cost to our federal budgets and is less healthy for our nation.

Respectfully, Supposn

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. cnm

cnm Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,282
    Why do you hate profits made from suffering?

3. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,108
    The problem is, there just isn't enough suffering.

4. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,597
    The primary cause of health care inflation is insurance.

Per capita medical spending is high in the US because people are willing to spend a lot of money on health care. And in the US, we have it to spend. What you're proposing is nationalizing health care so these people aren't allowed to spend so much on health care. While that might bring down per capita spending on health care, it won't bring down prices of health care. It won't make health care cheaper for poor people. It will just prevent rich people from spending so much on health care.

Yep. Its exactly this delusional "want" that makes it impossible for us to fix the mess in the health care market. We need a leader with the balls to tell these people that they are being idiots.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Supposn

Supposn VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +122
    using the phrase “universal health-care”, we're assuming referring to government administrated medical insurance system. The word “universal” implies every USA citizen, (and I'm among those that consider it to imply every USA legal resident) is covered by an adequate basic medical insurance plan.

DBlack, your contention that the extraordinary rate of USA medical costs should be attributed to almost all medical costs being paid by third parties, (i.e. medical costs insurers), has merit. I don't disagree.

I'm among the many that believe medical insurance fees that do not financially penalize those with previous detrimental medical conditions, requires almost everyone, (if not everyone) be within the “insured pool”, (i.e. “universal medical insurance”).

USA voters won't be satisfied unless they have universal medical insurance. Unless we find a method to reduce the costs of medical insurance, the voters well remain dissatisfied even if we obtain universal medical insurance.
    Other nations are handling this issue in superior manners and their voters are in principle satisfied with their government's' medical insurance plan.

Respectfully, Supposn

6. Oddball

Oddball Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +13,497
    VA incompetence and indifference for everyone!

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. danielpalos

danielpalos Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,216
    Solving simple poverty should improve the efficiency of our markets. We really just need a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage and unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed.

8. Supposn

Supposn VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +122
    DanielPalos, poverty is not a simple problem. Due to mathematics, any reduction of the federal minimum wage rate's purchasing powers also reduces that of our nation's median wage rate, and thus the reduction of USA's aggregate wages' purchasing powers.

Economic benefits of the minimum rate are reduced to the extent the ratre's permitted to lose purchasing power. I'm a proponent of pegging the minimum rate to a cost-price index. It should be monitored and annually updated for cost-of-living adjustments.

Furthermore, the minimum rate should be increased 12% every Labor Day until it achieves no less than 120% of its February 1968 purchasing power.

Refer to www.usmessageboard.com/threads/minimum-wage-is-a-character-issue.689714/

Respectfully, Supposn

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. danielpalos

danielpalos Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,216
    We really just need a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage and unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed, along with industrial automation to help with social costs.

How does your view, apply to that statement?

10. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,597
    Tell about the rabbits, George!

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1