So what are the reasons for the comparatively high cost of healthcare in the US?

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by BILLSANDS, Sep 20, 2018.

1. BILLSANDS

BILLSANDS Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The four main ones, in comparison to other OECD countries, seem to be:

• Higher costs of services [5]. This includes higher costs for laboratory tests, radiology, doctor’s fees, hospital beds, and private health insurance premiums
    • A greater number of tests are ordered (such as MRI and CT scans) and more surgeries (e.g. CABG, hip and knee replacements) performed [5]
    • Lack of controls in place to limit the rising costs of private insurance [5]
    • Greater administrative costs [5]. In my opinion this is probably due to insurance complexity. Most clinics will not allow you to book an appointment until the office staff personally double check your coverage
    • Healthcare in the US and Australia - a comparison

2. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,071
    Health care costs are inflated in the US because very few people are paying for their own health care.

3. MedfordMan

MedfordMan Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20

4. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,343
    Health care is primarily a service industry, the primary input is labor. As of this year, health care is the largest employment sector in the U.S. and the wages are comparatively pretty good--significantly higher than the OECD average. As long as we employ this many people in health care and pay them well, health care will cost more here than it does other places.

5. Frankeneinstein

Frankeneinstein Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,565
    I have had 2 knee replacement surgeries, a hernia and appendix operations several pre knee replacement surgeries [8 surgeries in all] stitches in 11 different places [all sports related accept for appendix] at least a dozen hospital stays and total cost for me including taxes and insurance is $0.00...so in Australia [or anywhere else for that matter] how much money would they be giving me for all that.