UNIONS Good or Bad for this Country ???

When the unions were at full strength maybe 50 years ago, I would have said yes, they were bad for the country, but now. During the Reagan years and beyond, unions have been servilely weaken. If things continue as they are, collective bargaining will become a thing of pass.

And this is bad?

What the fuck is the point of the DOL and labor laws?
In a completely free enterprise system, a nation's wealth will eventually gravitate to the enterprising minority. Some people are just better at making money than others. What would eventually happen is what China was like before Mao Tse Tung took over. It was a country of absolutes. You were either absolutely rich or absolutely poor. No middle class.

Labor unions delayed that eventuallity by keeping the flow of wealth going back to the working class. That is slowly changing though as the unions are losing their clout. The saying "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer" is becoming painfully obvious to most people as already about half the wealth of this nation is in the hands of only 8 percent of the population.

What has organized labor(labor unions) done for the American economy? - Yahoo! Answers

When the unions were at full strength maybe 50 years ago, I would have said yes, they were bad for the country, but now. During the Reagan years and beyond, unions have been servilely weaken. If things continue as they are, collective bargaining will become a thing of pass.

And this is bad?

In a completely free enterprise system, a nation's wealth will eventually gravitate to the enterprising minority. Some people are just better at making money than others. What would eventually happen is what China was like before Mao Tse Tung took over. It was a country of absolutes. You were either absolutely rich or absolutely poor. No middle class.

Labor unions delayed that eventuallity by keeping the flow of wealth going back to the working class. That is slowly changing though as the unions are losing their clout. The saying "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer" is becoming painfully obvious to most people as already about half the wealth of this nation is in the hands of only 8 percent of the population.

What has organized labor(labor unions) done for the American economy? - Yahoo! Answers

Well eventually after all the wealth is concentrated..there's generally a bloodly revolution, in which all the "Keepers" of the wealth are beheaded.

I already posted a link showing they are only 7.5% of the entire private sector. They don't have much of an impact. A much bigger impact is the 2.4 million jobs Republicans moved to China from 2001 to 2008 and the tens of thousands of American factories they shut down.

Unions have served their purpose and moved to the dark side. They are more a part of the problem today than they are the solution.

MUCH more.

The emergence of unions was a great thing for our current labor laws and standards.
They have outlived their usefulness.

Just saw a sign in the demonstration that read "Care for Teachers like they care for your Children".

I'm sorry but I just don't see it.
As a nation our children are falling further and further behind the rest of the civilized world, in scholastics.

If a teacher truly loves their profession can't they still do it without being part of a protected class?

To me it looks like the main theme of the protests is over the loss of their status.

As the labor unions have shrunk over the years so has the middle class. This is not just a correlation, but cause and effect. In a free enterprise system, no employer is going to spend more on labor costs than is necessary to increase profits. As an employee ages and his work output decreases, he is scraped for a younger more capable employee. A sick employee is replaced by a healthier employee. If the Chinese can do the work cheaper, the plant is closed and the employer is gone. The local community, state, and federal government must deal with the aftermath of these actions not the employer.

People argue that we don't need unions we have the Dept. of Labor and OSHA to protect employees. Without unions, these agencies would be blind to violations. In fact, the very existence of these agencies is owed to the unions.

The next time you take a paid vacation day, paid sick leave, receive overtime pay, or many other benefits, remember it was the unions that fought for these benefits before you were born.

Last edited:
I for one believe that even on their worst day, their good for the blue collar worker.

Unless of course you want to work for a Company, live in a Co-op house, and shop at a Co-op store.

Without the Unions, decent pay, pay raises, benefits and retirement would be non-existent.

A lot of people ( Those without Union Representation ) I believe hate unions, because of their jealousy. I believe they should fight to UNIONIZE!!!!

Have any of You listened to Rush, Beck & Hannity and noticed how they complained about people having class envy against them. Then through mis-direction they started bashing unions, and now everyone wants to bash unions. Now I ask you, why would Rush, Beck & Hannity bash unions, unless it's because maybe they have class envy, they say it's lonely at the top, who knows maybe it is. Let me know what You think.

National Unions are EXACTLY what they were created to fight . BIG Business.

Yes to fight for the workers to try and achieve balance.

And they have become a business in themselves, but so has news reporting/journalism, Religion, political parties, etc.

We need to correct the proplems within unions not the unions.

If you have a tumor do you try and get rid of just the tumor of just kill yourself?

Last edited:
Since unions only make up 7.5% of all private company workers in the US, their impact is slight. The reason right wingers and corporations don't like them is because they get out the vote and the Republican leadership is OWNED by corporations. When the Republican leadership screw their base, they eat it up. Well, let's see if they shut down the government and what happens when all those elderly that get SS stop getting it. And they voted Republican. Can't wait.

There are some things that unions have caused to happen that were really a good thing for the country. Just to mention a few, i.e., 40 hour work week, no child labor, safer working conditions, holiday pay, etc. They things happened years ago. These days, unions demand high wages, everything under the sun you can mention and you can't fire a worthless employee without a whole lot of troubles - even one that shouldn't be working because of poor performance. My opinion is that unions don't do anything but promote leeches that suck the blood out of a business and if allowed, kill the ability of states to do reasonable things with their budgets. I say outlaw all unions and let the greedy bastards live like the rest of us. Another thing that really pisses me off is that everybody I know that is a union member is quick to tell you what he will not do but very few of them pipe up and tell you what they will do. They tend to be self-centered assholes and you can pick them out of any crowd. Fuck a bunch of union bastards.

Unions are bad. They are only out for the dues.

And companies are only out for profits... The companies that provide the best service and products make the best profits. The unions that best represent their constituents make the best dues.

And this is bad?

Exactly, those laws are now strong enough to make unions unnecessary.....

Unions are a function of pure capitalism. I don't know what makes any of you think you have the right to tell labor they can't organize. Shame on you.

And this is bad?

Unions are a function of pure capitalism. I don't know what makes any of you think you have the right to tell labor they can't organize. Shame on you.

Public Employee Unions have absolutely NOTHING to do with Capitalism.

They negotiate with career politicians who are not the ones to foot the bill.

Public Employee Unions have absolutely NOTHING to do with Capitalism.

They negotiate with career politicians who are not the ones to foot the bill.

Another post...in which you show..for the listening audience..you know very little about economics or government.

Forum List

Back