Undocumented Immigrants Flock To Get Driver's Licenses Under New California Law

Allowing undocumented immigrants to apply for a driver's license is perfectly appropriate and comports with 14th Amendment jurisprudence, where one is not guilty of a crime until his guilt has been determined in a court of law. That one is undocumented does not necessarily mean he is 'illegal,' nor does it warrant denying him due process or equal protection of the law.

Moreover, the notion that this policy will 'encourage' more 'illegal' immigration is ignorant, unfounded, and fails as a post hoc fallacy.
Being undocumented is illegal moron.

California Department of Motor Vehicles locations, often the bane of a driver’s existence, will be exciting places for more than 1 million Californians next month.

Effective Jan. 2, undocumented immigrants in the state will be able to obtain driver’s licenses and car insurance for the first time, following a decades-long push by the state legislature’s Latino caucus to address problems caused by so many unlicensed, uninsured motorists.

"While undocumented immigrants form the backbone of many key industries in California, exclusion from the ability to apply for a license has meant a simple trip to work or school can easily morph into a nightmare," Jon Rodney, a spokesman for the California Immigrant Policy Center, told The Huffington Post. "Folks have faced discriminatory car impounds, costing working families untold thousands of dollars, and even arrests."

With more than 33,000 traffic fatalities recorded in the U.S. in 2012, state officials said it’s vital to prioritize road safety over policing immigrants.

“It has nothing to do with if they’re in the country legally or illegally,” Julie Powell, a spokeswoman for the California Highway Patrol, told The Sacramento Bee. “Our main concern is that the people of California are safe, and one way to assist in accomplishing that mission is to make sure California drivers are tested, trained and insured.”

Undocumented Immigrants Flock To Get Driver s Licenses Under New California Law

First, I do not really understand how this measure is supposed to reduce the number of car accidents and traffic fatalities. Are the officials going to teach the immigrants to drive? If not, are they going just to issue more licenses?

And second, using these licenses, will the immigrants be able to vote?
it doesnt reduce nothing.....but they have to prove they have ins if they own a car.....so if they run into you they are covered....unlike before......and it says on the license not for Federal purposes.... so they cant register to vote......from the DMV.....
Customers applying for an original driver license will need to do the following:
  • Study for the driver license exam
  • Complete a driver license application form (DL 44) available at the DMV office
  • Under AB 60, applicants will need to provide DMV with:
  • Pass a vision test, TouchScreen knowledge (written) test, and if applicable, a road sign test
  • Give a thumb print
  • Have a picture taken
  • Schedule a future appointment for the behind-the-wheel driving test
Applicants under 18 applying for an original driver license will also need to submit proof of driver education completion.
So I take it you are now for voter ID? As it should be.
i am now for?.....was i ever against it?....

If a random message board poster says you were, you must have been
yep....what else could it have been?....

Allowing undocumented immigrants to apply for a driver's license is perfectly appropriate and comports with 14th Amendment jurisprudence, where one is not guilty of a crime until his guilt has been determined in a court of law. That one is undocumented does not necessarily mean he is 'illegal,' nor does it warrant denying him due process or equal protection of the law.

Moreover, the notion that this policy will 'encourage' more 'illegal' immigration is ignorant, unfounded, and fails as a post hoc fallacy.
you can say illegal jones.....oh thats right.....you dont converse you just throw bullshit up and leave.....

No they are Undocumented Immigrants. Soon President Obama will give them
amnesty! FREE AT LAST - FREE AT LAST. I wish he could make it happen on
Cinco de Mayo.

No they are Undocumented Immigrants. Soon President Obama will give them
amnesty! FREE AT LAST - FREE AT LAST. I wish he could make it happen on
Cinco de Mayo.
no they are not here legally.....if you want to play that stupid politically correct bullshit go right ahead.....and what are they free of?.....

Forum List

Back