"Under the Dome" anyone?

Book Spoiler Coming:

For those who don't know, the book took a much different turn, more or less as follows: The dome was created by a group of boisterous alien "adolescents" using some sort of a game console on their home planet. They thought they were playing a harmless game, and did not realize they were terrorizing and killing sentient beings. (The analogy used by King in the book is that it was like kids on earth burning ants with a magnifying glass, assuming that they can't feel pain and are not self-aware).

While the kids who knew about the Egg were figuring this out, a series of events took place that resulted in all of the stored propane in the town exploding at one time, and creating a massive fire that basically consumed most of the oxygen within the dome.

Over the course of a short time (couple hours), virtually everyone within the dome died of a combination of suffocation and breathing the tainted air from the fire/explosion. Including Big Jim.

The Dome in the novel was not completely impermeable, and a bit of air would pass through. Also, communication with the outside was maintained through cell phones and internet. Seeing what was coming, Barbie communicated with his contact on the outside to set up a grid of giant fans on the outside of the dome at a pre-arranged spot. Barbie and his few remaining friends went to that spot and were able to breath the wisps of air that were passing through the wall, to prolong their lives temporarily.

Meanwhile, one of the kids figured out what was going on with the dome, picked up the egg and was able to telepathically plead with one of the aliens to remove the dome. It worked.

By the time the dome magically lifted back into the sky, never to be seen again, only Barbie, the Redhead and a few of the kids remained alive, and the town was totally destroyed by the fire and explosion.

Not a very satisfying ending, to a typically King-like preposterous scenario. Big Jim basically died of a heart attack and Barbie never got any revenge or vindication from the townspeople - who all believed he was responsible for everything.

I do agree about Linda - shit cop. Why the hell didn't she stand up and object to Barbie's execution? And is she ever going to change her clothes? She's worn that cop outfit for months now, she must stink to high heaven!

I am bored by fantasy. But I did watch parts of three episodes -- only because I have a profound loathing for the persona of the Big Jim character, who also plays Hank Schraeder in Breaking Bad. I recorded and sampled those three episodes hoping to see something really painful happen to him but I was sorely disappointed.

Although the actor who plays Big Jim manages to perfectly project the egomaniacal authoritarian personality, my overall impression of The Dome is it's a stupidly contrived, poorly presented bore and a waste of time.

I am bored by fantasy. But I did watch parts of three episodes -- only because I have a profound loathing for the persona of the Big Jim character, who also plays Hank Schraeder in Breaking Bad. I recorded and sampled those three episodes hoping to see something really painful happen to him but I was sorely disappointed.

Although the actor who plays Big Jim manages to perfectly project the egomaniacal authoritarian personality, my overall impression of The Dome is it's a stupidly contrived, poorly presented bore and a waste of time.

Does this show qualify as fantasy? :confused:

I was kinda hoping. He could have set a record for getting whacked from two shows in two days.

I was thinking the same thing.

I think I decided after the season finale that I can't stand this show. It makes no sense and it's boring. What's season 2 going to be about? I bet they're still in the dome and nothing makes sense yet! And despite nothing happening in the story a bunch of the characters die! Woohoo! What a formula!

Not true!

There is an egg...and uh, lights...and stuff.

(I don't get this show, but I tried).

Guess I'm gonna have to pick the book back up.

I thought it was just going to be a summer season, but then they do a 'season finale' implying a second season.

The book is larger that The Stand was, so there is still a LOT to be revealed.
Maybe I'll finish it before Season 2 and know if I want to tune in
:D

Do you really need to ask if there is something fantastic about a big dome covering a town?

I tuned this nonsense in somewhere near the end and returned to the last two episodes expecting to possibly find that the dome was a metaphor. But it wasn't. It is just a really stupid, poorly acted waste of time.

Do you really need to ask if there is something fantastic about a big dome covering a town?

I tuned this nonsense in somewhere near the end and returned to the last two episodes expecting to possibly find that the dome was a metaphor. But it wasn't. It is just a really stupid, poorly acted waste of time.

I don't think anything fantastic makes it part of the fantasy genre. Is the dome alien in origin? That might put it into the sci-fi category. Is it supernatural, and will it lead to fear and death? That might make it horror.

I think of fantasy as more about magic, sword & sorcery, dragons, etc.

The show started out slow, picked up steam, then took a header into the asphalt.

Didn't even watch the last 3-4 episodes.

I don't think anything fantastic makes it part of the fantasy genre. Is the dome alien in origin? That might put it into the sci-fi category. Is it supernatural, and will it lead to fear and death? That might make it horror.

I think of fantasy as more about magic, sword & sorcery, dragons, etc.
Okay. Then we harbor different impressions of what fantasy is.

My idea of fantasy is something which does not and cannot exist in the known and tangible world.

Fantasy is a dream world. It is the realm of infantile imaginings. Whether these imaginings are possible is not relevant. They do not exist within immediate reality, nor is their existence conceivable to the contemporary intellect.

While some science fiction is conceivable, most (to me) is not. So I will regard the latter category, e.g., time travel, as fantasy.

Steven King's books mostly all take the same form. You have people who are presumably normal, and they are confronted with a factor or person that is supernatural. A malevolent car ("Christine'). A pet cemetery where the pets come back to life after they are buried there ("Pet Semetery"). In this case, a town that is enclosed in an impermeable force field of unknown origin.

The people are presumed to act normally to the supernatural factor. That is King's formula, dating back to Salem's Lot. Whether you call it a "fantasy" or "science fiction," or "rubbish" is up to you. I stopped reading his stuff many years ago because of his irritating writing style.

Did it come out in the TV series that the "dome" is not a dome?

The walls of the enclosure actually follow the borders of the town (shaped "like an athletic sock"), and they rise vertically to about 45,000 ft. The top is also enclosed, so it would not be possible to come in from the stratosphere.

Just sayin'. It ain't a "dome."

The walls of the enclosure actually follow the borders of the town (shaped "like an athletic sock"), and they rise vertically to about 45,000 ft. The top is also enclosed, so it would not be possible to come in from the stratosphere.

In the show it is a sphere. They measured it, and found the exact center of it, it ain't a sock.

In the show it is a sphere. They measured it, and found the exact center of it, it ain't a sock.

Dante?
Is that you?

:eusa_shifty:

Didn'y know that. But thanks for ruining it for the rest of us ass.

Didn'y know that. But thanks for ruining it for the rest of us ass.

They did that in the 2nd fucking episode.

But I have noted that in some of the promotional slots they pictured a dome over a town. And the name of the book HINTS that it might be dome-shaped.

I'm a little peeved that it switched from the promised mini-series to an open-ended series. I committed to it specially because I liked the idea of watching a story which was completed in 13 episodes.

But now that it's clear that it has veered off course I'm glad to hear what would have happened if they'd stayed true to the book.

Well, it probably had just enough viewers to give the bean counters reasons to extend it for another season.

Ratings = $$$$$

Forum List

Back