Under obamacare ER visits will be prohibited

Under provisions of obamacare, if you get discharged from the hospital and have a complication, you won't get seen in an emergency room.

More than 2,200 hospitals face penalties under ObamaCare rules | Fox News

A provision of ObamaCare is set to punish roughly two-thirds of U.S. hospitals starting this fall over high readmission rates, according to an analysis by Kaiser Health News.
Starting in October, Medicare will reduce reimbursements to hospitals with high 30-day readmission rates -- which refers to patients who return within a month -- by as much as 1 percent. The maximum penalty increases to 2 percent the following year and 3 percent in 2014.
Doctors are concerned the penalty is unfair, since sometimes they have to accept patients more than once in a brief period of time but could be penalized for doing so -- even for accepting seniors who are sick.
"Among patients with heart failure, hospitals that have higher readmission rates actually have lower mortality rates," said Sunil Kripalani, MD, a professor with Vanderbilt University Medical Center who studies hospital readmissions. "So, which would we rather have -- a hospital readmission or a death?"

obama's answer, he'd rather have a death.

you mean like the GOP "House" trying to pass a law to absolve hospitals of liability for letting women die by not giving them a life-saving abortion or even directing them to someplace where one would be performed? that kind of death?

or does it not count because it's only a woman?

thanks for playing.

Under provisions of obamacare, if you get discharged from the hospital and have a complication, you won't get seen in an emergency room.

A provision of ObamaCare is set to punish roughly two-thirds of U.S. hospitals starting this fall over high readmission rates, according to an analysis by Kaiser Health News.
Starting in October, Medicare will reduce reimbursements to hospitals with high 30-day readmission rates -- which refers to patients who return within a month -- by as much as 1 percent. The maximum penalty increases to 2 percent the following year and 3 percent in 2014.
Doctors are concerned the penalty is unfair, since sometimes they have to accept patients more than once in a brief period of time but could be penalized for doing so -- even for accepting seniors who are sick.
"Among patients with heart failure, hospitals that have higher readmission rates actually have lower mortality rates," said Sunil Kripalani, MD, a professor with Vanderbilt University Medical Center who studies hospital readmissions. "So, which would we rather have -- a hospital readmission or a death?"

You really are one stupid bat shit crazy lying moron. It does not say all ER's. It says those with high return rates only will be penalized 1% the first year the 2% and so on. It is supposed to encourage hospitals with ER's to give better treatment in the first place and not kick patients out too early.

It does not say ANYTHING about ER admitting. Where does it say a hospital is free to reject patients? So they will start rejecting former recent hospital patients from returning through the ER to avoid paying 1% penalty on reimbursements if too many patients have to return do to inadequit care during their first visit? Really? THAT'S how you interpreted what you used as evidense for your rediculous thread title? Really?

It must hurt for you to think. Have you had an MRI to see if you have blockages in your skull? Seriously..something ain't right in your noggin.

Here's a novel idea, keep the patients until they are well.

here is a novel idea...... if you cant pay for your hospital visit...don't complain about what you get for free....and or demand ....more.

Really? You really think like that? Where in the OP does it say that someone is getting hospital care for free? The OP concerns a tiny reduction in reimbursements for hospitals with cronic poor outcomes resulting in the patient needing to return to the hospital through the ER..as in AN EMERGENCY! Nothing in the OP has anything to do with indegent patients. Under ObamaCare nobody is indegent.

Your statement is stupid. Not trying to be rude. I thought you were smarter than that. I mean I already knew the OP was an idiot. You I had a much higher opinion of.

Killing off elderly patients is how Obamacare will reduces costs.

That's what happens when you let Eugenicists who talk about "untermenschen" run the US healthcare system

I have been hearing many stories of Doctors
refusing to take on new Medicare patients because Obamacare
really cuts reimbursements.

Physician payments under Medicare are set by the Balanced Budget Act of 1997, not Obamacare.

obamacare supercedes all prior acts.

The purpose is to prevent the sick and injured from getting care. Just like cutting the payments to doctors is to prevent the sick and injured from getting care.

That's what happens when you let Eugenicists who talk about "untermenschen" run the US healthcare system

I think we already have that. Many of the elderly are encouraged to forgo chemo and radiation therapy. And we have the nerve to criticize Canada's healthcare system.

I think we already have that. Many of the elderly are encouraged to forgo chemo and radiation therapy. And we have the nerve to criticize Canada's healthcare system.

The elderly might be encouraged to forego treatment, under obamacare treatment will be prohibited.

When questioned whether or not an elderly woman should receive a pacemaker, obama said to just give her a pill instead. Pacemakers is something the elderly would no longer get, particularly since it is a medical device that would also have enormous taxes attached.

This topic never ceases to amaze me. Faux news babbles something about ACA dropping hospitals that care more for the dollar than they do for your health, and you right wingnuts come out in droves.

My mother died of breast cancer that was caught early enough that she could have been wearing a pink ribbon on a flat chest today. She died in a hospital right after she elected to stop treatment due to the COST OF TREATMENT AND HER LACK OF INSURANCE OR PERSONAL ASSETS. Pre-Obamacare = voluntary eugenics.

Don't let facts get in the way of your stupidly myopic view. And whatever you do, don't actually try to understand what the wingnut news tells you - and that goes for both sides. I'd post links to the actual text of ACA, but apparently you'd rather have Hannity eat it first so you don't have to chew.

This topic never ceases to amaze me. Faux news babbles something about ACA dropping hospitals that care more for the dollar than they do for your health, and you right wingnuts come out in droves.

My mother died of breast cancer that was caught early enough that she could have been wearing a pink ribbon on a flat chest today. She died in a hospital right after she elected to stop treatment due to the COST OF TREATMENT AND HER LACK OF INSURANCE OR PERSONAL ASSETS. Pre-Obamacare = voluntary eugenics.

Don't let facts get in the way of your stupidly myopic view. And whatever you do, don't actually try to understand what the wingnut news tells you - and that goes for both sides. I'd post links to the actual text of ACA, but apparently you'd rather have Hannity eat it first so you don't have to chew.

Dying from lack of treatment is somehow worse than dying because the hospital won't admit you.

My son's sister in law had breast cancer. By the time they found it it had spread. They had to crack open her ribs to get it. The surgery was at City of Hope with follow up treatment at the Samuel Oschin Cancer Center at Cedars Sinai Hospital. She has since had reconstructive surgery and is doing fine. But then she went to charity hospitals. No out of pocket. Which is a good thing because she has five kids and is penniless.

Dying from lack of treatment is somehow worse than dying because the hospital won't admit you.

My son's sister in law had breast cancer. By the time they found it it had spread. They had to crack open her ribs to get it. The surgery was at City of Hope with follow up treatment at the Samuel Oschin Cancer Center at Cedars Sinai Hospital. She has since had reconstructive surgery and is doing fine. But then she went to charity hospitals. No out of pocket. Which is a good thing because she has five kids and is penniless.

Had to rely on charity? Must not have been very personally responsible.

obamacare supercedes all prior acts.

Not in this case it doesn't. To its discredit, the ACA does not attempt to fix the BBA's flawed methodology for reimbursing physician services under Medicare. Hence the continuing search for the elusive "permanent doc fix" that will replace the terms of the Balanced Budget Act.

In response to the OP:

Many of the hospitals being penalized say they have already launched efforts to reduce their readmissions.

In Western Pennsylvania, an official at UPMC’s McKeesport hospital told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that it has begun placing nurse practitioners in nursing homes where many of its elderly patients are discharged. Readmissions have dropped by 40 percent since the effort began 18 months ago, but Medicare’s penalty of 0.68 percent is based on its readmission rates for the three years ending in June 2011, so any improvements weren’t factored in to the penalty calculation.

In Southwest Florida, Lee Memorial Health System told the News-Press that it used electronic monitoring to keep taps on its sicker patients who had returned home. Patients also receive follow-up calls from staffers and even physician house calls to avoid them returning to the hospital. The hospital will receive a 0.11 percent penalty.

Oh no, they're killing old people!

Oh wait, no--they're getting better at caring for them.

A slight misdirection there... My mother "chose" her path because the hospital told her what the bill would be, what her responsibility was, and required her to show her financial responsibility before they did ANYTHING more than make her comfortable - as required under the EMTALA Act.

In essence, they had to admit her due to her pain. They were forced to treat that pain. But, no money, no living, no excuses, no IOUs. This would NOT have been the case under ACA.

"Back so soon, Untermenschen? What is it today? Short of breath? Here, read The Audacity of Hope. You'll understand true suffering"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbpWonUzlrc]Obama Gaffe - YouTube[/ame]

Why Obama called in Bill Clinton instead of running on Obamacare

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's a novel idea, keep the patients until they are well.

Unheard of! And stop being so logical. You are confusing the conservatives!

Forum List

Back