Un-Believable

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Not to be insulting to anyone, but I have spent years researching the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and I just can't figure out how anyone with a three-digit IQ could swallow that load of obvious baloney.

Certainly, kids who were brought up in The Faith can be forgiven for accepting what they were taught by their parents, teachers, and so on, but at some point the blinders have to come off and...the whole thing is just ridiculous! Joseph Smith was an obvious fraud and a womanizer, the history of the BoM is total nonsense, and the other "sacred" books of LDS are just ridiculous.

And even if you are willing to accept the preposterous story about the golden plates and the Angel Moroni, five minutes of internet research will result in absolute proof that the Book of Abraham is a total fraud.

The more you dig into it, the more ridiculous it becomes.

It's like people who watch professional wrestling and can't figure out that it's scripted.

Honestly, how do they get adults to believe this nonsense?

Not to be insulting to anyone, but I have spent years researching the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and I just can't figure out how anyone with a three-digit IQ could swallow that load of obvious baloney.

Certainly, kids who were brought up in The Faith can be forgiven for accepting what they were taught by their parents, teachers, and so on, but at some point the blinders have to come off and...the whole thing is just ridiculous! Joseph Smith was an obvious fraud and a womanizer, the history of the BoM is total nonsense, and the other "sacred" books of LDS are just ridiculous.

And even if you are willing to accept the preposterous story about the golden plates and the Angel Moroni, five minutes of internet research will result in absolute proof that the Book of Abraham is a total fraud.

It's like people who watch professional wrestling and can't figure out that it's scripted.

While I'd agree, I'd say it's unfair to pick on any specific group as being 'more nuts' than all the others. Once you say "God is..." you've jumped the shark. :)

Laziness and having ears tickled--I feel the same with Catholicism, how a single mortal believes that bull is beyond my thinking--- lazy mortals who cannot be bothered to learn Jesus truths is the answer. they will all lose.
At least Mr Smith knew only one God exists and it is not a trinity---

Catholicism is from the Roman era of paganism...So it is only logical that they would not give up on multiple God plots like the trinity, making them polytheist instead on monotheists..Just like during the Pagan dayz,,,

You make it sound like LDS is the Weirdest Religion.

No.

Go study Hinduism for a few years.

Thousands to millions of deities, no nothing strange there. :)

Whole Helluva lot more Hindus than members of LDS.

Lots More.

stock-photo-pantheon-collage-of-hindu-gods-76301770.jpg

600 million if I recall.

But mistaking number of followers for legitimacy is a common mistake, and one I used to make. If we go by that to grant credibility to a religion, then allowing Christian denominations to be stand-alone, Islam would be no. 1 having like 1.5 billion. Christianity all tolled has about 2 billion, but half of those are Catholics, rest various sorts of Protestants, with a handful of Orthodox thrown in.

Hinduism is weirder than Scientology?

You mean there is something stranger than brain-washed dead alien zombies that sticks to you like glue?

And its older? Give me a story to read!! I love weird religious stories!!

By the way

LDS have some kind of formula that attracts people to it. It seems to be most effective on people with a Protestant background.

Because of that, it scares the hell out of many American Protestant clergy, especially Baptists.

In fact, you can find some real interdenominational hate when you google baptists views on Mormonism. I could post some links here, but I am afraid some Mormon will take offense when I am showing how hypocritical Baptist are when it comes to their fellow believers in Christ.

By the way, I think Joseph Smith was actually an hedonistic atheist and narcissist. If yu read just the history the PBS channel puts out, you get the impression he did not really believe what he said but understood the power that being a prophet gave him.

I wonder if all religions were started by hedonistic atheist with a narcissistic twists. If so, damn atheists!!

Wait a second....:eek:

My friend was really religious in college. I thought he was a Christian.

Talked with him about a year ago about Jesus Christ as taught in the Bible. He told me that he was LDS and not a Christian. He found out that it's a cult and decided to quit. He got perma banned by the cult, shunned by his entire family.

Hmmmmm.....
"Apostate" Mormons get shunned.
"Apostate" Muslims get beheaded unless they're stoned to death first.

If I had to choose, I think I'd rather be a Mormon. Less downside at the end of the day.

Mormons do not murder others in the name of God. ( to my knowledge - don't know much about it ) I was told about a story of Buddhists that put a woman in a bamboo cage and left her on the side of a mountain to starve to death. The LORD sent someone to free her and let her out of that cage. Anyone who thinks that religion is all peaceful and loving is mistaken.

I have to agree with you on that one.
I believe in God and am a Spiritual person, but I have to say that most organized religions have beliefs that are deal-breakers. A person who wants to be part of a religion (and there are plenty of good reasons to want that) will just not look at those deal-breakers too closely.

I guess that's it.............

Genevieve, we must be born again. It is not about membership in a church or denomination. We must be born again and serve the Lord and tell others about Him. It is about relationship with the LORD not rituals and dead religion. We need to pray for the lost.

At least he got out, Max. Did you lead him to the LORD? Is he saved now?

My friend, in college, was very religious and was very smart, easily IQ of 150+. He took the most advanced math class offered by UC Berkeley for fun.

I don't know the whole story of how he found out that all his life was built around the lies and falsehood of the LDS cult.

He told me that after being shunned, losing all relations with family and good friends, he was devastated. That led him to spending months just reading about religion in the library.

He's very bitter and hurt after his narrow escape from Satan's clutches. Hopefully the Lord will grant him grace.

You make it sound like LDS is the Weirdest Religion.

No.

Go study Hinduism for a few years.

Thousands to millions of deities, no nothing strange there. :)

Whole Helluva lot more Hindus than members of LDS.

Lots More.

stock-photo-pantheon-collage-of-hindu-gods-76301770.jpg

Was living there for about 4 years if I add the tournaments up.
I had personal audiences with the Swami of one of the bigger Hinducommunities (some locl contractor dragged me there), and listened just for fun to some TV apperances of holy men explaining the Vedes. (about 5000 years old, quite remarkable)

I have one of the gods above, Ganesha, standing on my shelf. A gift from a business partner there, I think ten ounces pure silver. It's the god of prosperity. What a coincidence....:biggrin:

Now, what I learned there was the following. Left aside a few sects and pagan tribe naturalist beliefs the bigger and older "world" religions are basically bound to their cultural background.
Hinduism ist strictly cornered into India, Indians beeing a very isolated culture and ethnic group over millennias, with their very own mentality not found anywhere else. And it describes the tale of the origin of India, nothing else.
They were not much interested in the rest of the world, most of them aren't today.
Buddhsm, although Buddha originated from Hinduism, fits more to East Asia Cultures and mentalities, European or American people will not even find a real connection to it. Some Hipsters try, but I find that ridiculous.
The three desert cults, i.e. Judaism, Christinity and Islam, originate from the same shithole in the middle east and teach basically the same. Judaism and Islam are stuck to that. (Islam added the brute force factor). Christianity took the opportunity of spreading out over Europe.by adapting cults, rites and part of belief systems of the local populations before it became mighty enough to built its own dogma out of that. Which then was justified by miles of books filling whole libraries of theology.

So all of this religions are tailored to fit the regional structures of power by using the ethnic based mentality.
I don't say they are deliberately designed for this purpose. I think this is kind of symbiotic a process of give and take.

What makes it so hard to kill.

Forum List

Back