UK switches back to feudal copyright law

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
If you burn a disc with copyright protected content, you will be burned as well. Not exactly but the UK´s High Court declared a relatively new legislation unlawful. By now, the Brits may not:

- Make private copies of their owned copyright protected files

This means:
- They may not copy music from their lawfully obtained music CDs to their music players
- They may not backup any copyright protected material, whether to local or online storage

This can affect Apple´s iTunes as well, as it offers a CD-ripping feature. Microsoft´s Windows Media Player is also a good ripper. It can rip any Music CD, whether software on the disc prevents even the playback on computers or not. Thus, iTunes and Media Player, both installed on many computers, are illegal software in the UK. While it was the music industry that launched the initiative at the High Court, the decision will make people buy less CDs and download more pirated music.

"Needless to say, this turns almost the entire country into ‘outlaws’."
iTunes is Illegal Under UK Copyright Law - TorrentFreak

Sounds like a few of the old record company people still in denial, still thinking they can control the industry.
When the first cassette players came out with the ability to record so easily, and with somewhat acceptable quality, the record industry cried and whined and filed lawsuits trying to stop the sales. Saying it would kill the whole music business.
It eventually led to the things that indeed DID kill the business. Their business, not the music.
Personal recording, internet streaming, piracy - it all killed the business side of music. Which, IMO, was a great thing.

The MP3 Inquisition...
Is that a song or are you trying to sell premium memberships?
I never profit from the links I post. You, on the other hand, failed to take an accurate look at the offering. "One" song...
It was a simple question, wasn't clicking on any of the download links........ No need to get bent out of shape over it tovarisch. :eusa_whistle:
Well, there is no need for pathetic questions in that case, Secretary of Islamic State Kerry.

The MP3 Inquisition...
Is that a song or are you trying to sell premium memberships?
I never profit from the links I post. You, on the other hand, failed to take an accurate look at the offering. "One" song...
It was a simple question, wasn't clicking on any of the download links........ No need to get bent out of shape over it tovarisch. :eusa_whistle:
Well, there is no need for pathetic questions in that case, Secretary of Islamic State Kerry.
Ya know what, you suck at this....... :lmao:

At least you maintained a decent amount of humor...

My company a year or so ago changed to a new computer program, company wide - but unfortunately we also use it to ship trucks of our product,

So, starting about 6 months ago we had a upper level manger in the executive building tell us not to put multiple loads on a scale ticket. Then the mid level admin guy in transportation said we can. The Manager in the admin building said no we cannot we cannot enter multiple loads in the computer system - the new shipping system on the computer will not recognize it - the trucker must scale out with one load, rescale in on a new scale ticket and go back to pick up another load of our product.

The shipping manager in the executive building and the transportation manager have yet, for about six or seven months, to communicate with each other - they take their frustrations out on the gate guard whom scales in and scales out the trucks of our product. Instead of the two managers communicating, they take their frustrations out on the guard at the gate ; contradicting and overriding what the other manager says to the guard at the gate.

About three days ago, I arrive at work for the night shift. There is an email from the shipping manager telling us guards that we can put multiple leads on one scale ticket. The shipping manager tells us guards and the senior shipping manager it is ok to put multiple loads and enter multiple load numbers into the computer system. IT IS OK to put multiple loads on one truck, it us alright to enter multiple loads into the computer system for one truck.

But again = the senior shipping manager in the executive building told us that we cannot enter multiple loads for one truck, as the new computer system will not recognize it. To write the multiple loads numbers on one scale ticket ( multiple pick ups - different product sizes and shapes multiple loads for multiple destinations ) will cause a major computer flaw, and it is not possible to enter multiple pickup numbers as the new shipping computer will not accept it.

So much for improvement huh. Our last shipping program was 200% better in my opinion.

The new shipping program will not let us se the particular product that is being picked up - the date of pickup and the time of the pickup. Some driver shave come in to get loaded, and we have scaled them in...but they shortly leave and scale out ; waiting till morning because their load is not until the next day. I use to be able to know that - now I cannot.

New computer programs. Humph - no improvement in this situation.

I still wonder how the computer problem got fixed if the new program will not accept multiple load numbers for one truck. If they can fix that, can they fix the computer problems we frequently have at Gate One?

Shadow 355

Yeah, newer does not automatically mean better. Another example:
As the computing power, storage and memory have multiplied during the years, the quality of many programs declined because the need for proper resource management simply has fallen apart. My browser is eating almost 300 MB of RAM for the single tab that is currently opened. I don´t think this is necessary, I mean this is enough for an entire OS with various tools opened.
Your new program does not accept two types of goods/deliveries of the same good on a single truck? That´s lousy, you boss should reclaim his money.

Countries that introduce draconian copyright laws are basically telling IT companies to close down and leave the country. It will lead to a massive brain drain, and those jobs will end up in the UAE, Kuwait, China, Russia, South Korea and Japan - or the US (till the TPP clamps down here).

The UK is already a mess with its draconian immigration laws, that penalize anyone that wants to work there from outside the EU. For example, three years of working legally in NZ grants someone a path to citizenship, but in the UK you are kicked out after one year - no matter how much you contribute to the country economically.

The UK government really is working hard to shoot itself in the foot and kill economic growth, and this new measure is no different.

Countries that introduce draconian copyright laws are basically telling IT companies to close down and leave the country. It will lead to a massive brain drain, and those jobs will end up in the UAE, Kuwait, China, Russia, South Korea and Japan - or the US (till the TPP clamps down here).

The UK is already a mess with its draconian immigration laws, that penalize anyone that wants to work there from outside the EU. For example, three years of working legally in NZ grants someone a path to citizenship, but in the UK you are kicked out after one year - no matter how much you contribute to the country economically.

The UK government really is working hard to shoot itself in the foot and kill economic growth, and this new measure is no different.

Google Chrome - 378MB and 80% CPU usage at peak....that is so ridiculous that it seems impossible. That is actually more memory taken up by some Linux OS's - and I don't mean the tiny scaled down ones.

Sounds like a few of the old record company people still in denial, still thinking they can control the industry.
When the first cassette players came out with the ability to record so easily, and with somewhat acceptable quality, the record industry cried and whined and filed lawsuits trying to stop the sales. Saying it would kill the whole music business.
It eventually led to the things that indeed DID kill the business. Their business, not the music.
Personal recording, internet streaming, piracy - it all killed the business side of music. Which, IMO, was a great thing.
www.businessinsider.com/these-charts-explain-the-real-death-of-the-music-industry-2011-2

Interesting read and take on sales. It seems that the real killer in music is the rise of the single. The largest advantage to digital content is that you no longer have to buy all that packaged crap music on the CD you do not want for that one song that you do.

Forum List

Back