U.S. weighs joint approach to Beijing Olympics with allies

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This might get interesting. I would suggest that this could be the best step for America and the West to take, to stifle and potentially prevent war in the future. I will reserve my opinion until I see just how far and serious the West is about this.

The world MUST place a spotlight on the Communists, they MUST continue to ensure they are on the defensive and could suffer major economic consequences unless they become a member of the global order and not a self-serving cult that violates all it can.

WASHINGTON — The State Department said Tuesday the Biden administration is consulting with allies about a joint approach to China and its human rights record, including how to handle the upcoming Beijing Winter Olympics.
The department initially suggested that an Olympic boycott to protest China's rights abuses was among the possibilities but a senior official said later that a boycott has not yet been discussed.

The official said the U.S. position on the 2022 Games had not changed but that the administration is in frequent contact with allies and partners about their common concerns about China. Department spokesman Ned Price said earlier the consultations were being held in order to present a united front

``Part of our review of those Olympics and our thinking will involve close consultations with partners and allies around the world,'' Price told reporters.

Human rights groups are protesting China's hosting of the Games, which are set to start in February 2022. They have urged a diplomatic or straight-up boycott of the event to call attention to alleged Chinese abuses against Uyghurs, Tibetans, and residents of Hong Kong.

Leave politics out of the Olympics.

If only it were that simple. This is a major coup for President Xi, this to him, is the message he sends to his citizens, under the eye of 200M CCTV cameras, that China is great under his control.

It is a confirmation that China is considered a great nation of the world. It is providing him a very large soap box, as he is now the leader who can be in power for eternity.

He and the CCP will be milking this for full value. Remember the Olympics in Berlin in 1936? The worlds leaders have to view this with a sober mind, providing him this platform without calling out (or, boycotting as I would if I were a nations leader) is a grave error. Maybe not understood today, but in the future when China does even worse than they have, to many allies.

This might get interesting. I would suggest that this could be the best step for America and the West to take, to stifle and potentially prevent war in the future. I will reserve my opinion until I see just how far and serious the West is about this.

The world MUST place a spotlight on the Communists, they MUST continue to ensure they are on the defensive and could suffer major economic consequences unless they become a member of the global order and not a self-serving cult that violates all it can.

WASHINGTON — The State Department said Tuesday the Biden administration is consulting with allies about a joint approach to China and its human rights record, including how to handle the upcoming Beijing Winter Olympics.
The department initially suggested that an Olympic boycott to protest China's rights abuses was among the possibilities but a senior official said later that a boycott has not yet been discussed.

The official said the U.S. position on the 2022 Games had not changed but that the administration is in frequent contact with allies and partners about their common concerns about China. Department spokesman Ned Price said earlier the consultations were being held in order to present a united front

``Part of our review of those Olympics and our thinking will involve close consultations with partners and allies around the world,'' Price told reporters.

Human rights groups are protesting China's hosting of the Games, which are set to start in February 2022. They have urged a diplomatic or straight-up boycott of the event to call attention to alleged Chinese abuses against Uyghurs, Tibetans, and residents of Hong Kong.

Bad, bad China, because.... the US invaded Afghanistan and Iraq, bombed Libya, Syria, sanctions against Iran and Venezuela (a lot of OPEC in there, what a coincidence).....

And China.... well, China....er..... they you know, they er.... invaded Beijing... or something.

Boycotts on the Olympics never seem to do much in a positive way. Allies and the U.S. need to develop a united front on the China problem but leave politics out of the Olympics.

And China.... well, China....er..... they you know, they er.... invaded Beijing... or something.
Wow, you REALLY need to pick up a newspaper.

Do I really? Perhaps you need to write more in your posts.
Yes, you really do. Start with the genocide in China happening right now.

As if the US gives one flying fuck about genocide in China right now.

In 2001 the US became pretty anti-Muslim. Used it to attack OPEC, three of the four anti-US OPEC members in 2001 were Muslim (Iraq, Iran and Libya) and the US invaded one, bombed another to remove its leader and put heavy sanctions on the other.

The US loves killing Muslims.

In 2001 the US became pretty anti-Muslim. Used it to attack OPEC, three of the four anti-US OPEC members in 2001 were Muslim (Iraq, Iran and Libya) and the US invaded one, bombed another to remove its leader and put heavy sanctions on the other.

I didn't have you figured for a CCP shill. I guess you never know.

I didn't have you figured for a CCP shill. I guess you never know.

That's because I'm not.

It's so easy to just put everything down to "oh, you're an apologist for xxxxx" instead of having a proper argument.

I know about China. You can either listen or you can stick your head under the sand and get manipulated by the US and Western government.

China is pretty bad. The US is the biggest threat to global security out there right now. China wants to be that.

Just because China is bad, doesn't mean it doesn't do good things, and it doesn't mean the US is good either.

China is pretty bad. The US is the biggest threat to global security out there right now. China wants to be that.
China is pretty bad? That's like saying tsunamis are pretty wet. They are the scourge of the planet and they just launched a virus attack on the world. Wake up.

If you're going to get yourself all tied up around which adjective I use, this is not going to be a fun conversation.

Try talking about ANYTHING that I've actually spoken about. Give it a go, what do you have to lose, instead of pointless tangents!

Actually if biden can get the western nations and other democrst countries to boycott the Beijing olympics it will be a powerful blow against the communist dictatorship

and he will deserve an attaboy

but I would not bet the rent money on such a longshot

Try talking about ANYTHING that I've actually spoken about. Give it a go, what do you have to lose, instead of pointless tangents!
China is the definition of an evil regime. They routinely kidnap, imprison or murder people because they say something critical about the government. They use Muslim Uighurs like human lab rats. They have a prison population in the millions whom they exploit for free labor. That's just the surface. There is NO DISCUSSION comparing who is worse the US or China. You are a Chinese Shill or a lot dumber than I thought you were.

China is the definition of an evil regime. They routinely kidnap, imprison or murder people because they say something critical about the government. They use Muslim Uighurs like human lab rats. They have a prison population in the millions whom they exploit for free labor. That's just the surface. There is NO DISCUSSION comparing who is worse the US or China. You are a Chinese Shill or a lot dumber than I thought you were.

The US by definition is an evil regime.

Slavery for the first 89 years. Taking land from the native peoples through an assortment of ethnic cleansing and genocide. Segregation for the next 88 years, and even then black people are treated badly.

In more recent times taking out anyone it doesn't like to get cheaper oil. Four OPEC countries opposed the US in 2001, Iraq, invaded, Libya, bombed and leader deposed and then left to rot as a country in civil war, Venezuela, coup in 2002 supported by the US and then heavy sanctions against the government and Iran, threatened with all sorts and then heavy sanctions.

All because they had oil and didn't like the US.

The US used massive anti-Muslim sentiment against its OWN PEOPLE. Muslims living in the US at the time were subject to a lot of problems, problems caused by their own government.

"
Hope and Despair: Being Muslim in America After 9/11"

There was Trump playing up the right wing crazies, getting people to attack all over the place, kill people.

"
Trump attacks 'disgraceful' National Anthem protester Colin Kaepernick: 'What he is doing is very bad for the spirit of the country'"

The US locks up people who are inconvenient.

Leonard Peltier, in prison since 1975, two life sentences for daring to oppose the US government. For daring to speak out against the US government.

Political prisoners in the USA.

Then we have those locked up in Guantanamo, no trial, no rights, just locked up because they happened to be fighting in a country that the US decided to invade. I'm sorry, but that's wrong.

The US is an evil regime.

If there's no discussion, then don't reply. I'm not here so you can tell me that you're right when you are unwilling to look at how bad the US is. I'm not saying China is nice. I'm saying the US and China are different, but evil in their own ways.

The same with the USSR and the US in the Cold War, the powerful always turn into the worst.

Forum List

Back