U.S. may lose top credit rating soon, Moody's says

They have been saying that for 1-1/2 years now. If we do not get our fiscal house in order they will downgrade US debt. Of Course so has Obama's own CBO--and he's ignored that also.

$Hope-and-Nope.jpg

I'm sick of this argument that not raising the debt limit is doing something to threaten the country's credit rating.

Think about it: Greece's debt, spread evenly to every family, would be a burden of $40,000. Here in America it would be $45,000, and the left and Obama want us to believe that not increasing that number to $50,000 would hurt the country's credit yeah right. 63% of Americans, over 50% on all polls, the plurality of America is against this president.

Whether you are sick or not about this is irrelevant. What matters is what the ratings agencies say.

You keep bringing up this 63% of people saying we shouldn't raise the debt ceiling. Do you believe that if two-thirds of the country says something, we should do it?

<sigh>

Can't conservatives ever do ANYTHING (as in being involved in governance) without the result being a disaster or a disaster in the making?

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1=NEW YORK&sty=h&form=msdate
Well the heats on Wall Street. Wall Street Republicans are going to be transferring that heat to Congress pretty quick. With the government debt under review, the rating agencies can move rapidly. The government obligations are AAA now. The first interest or principal payment that the government misses will result in an immediate downgrade. Usually if you default, your ratings go from wherever they are now to a D rating (Default). From the news article, it sounds like they will downgrade us it a deal is not reached by Aug 2nd.

When Lehman defaulted, I owned one of their bonds. Within 2 weeks of the default, the value of their bonds were down 80%. I'm certainly not saying this will happen with government bonds, but it will be one hell of shock to bond holders that will be felt in ever financial market. Remember, people that buy US debt do so because it is believed to be one of the safest investment in world. That's why major corporations, pension funds, investment companies and other nations park huge amounts of cash in treasuries.

It will be interesting to see investors reaction to this news at next weeks treasury bill auction. I think the government plans to auctions 27 billion.

This is why Boehner wants to make a deal but is afraid he can't get the votes from the wacked out Tea Party Republicans.
I have a friend that's a broker. He said on a conference call with with some analysts the subject of the debit limit came up. He said, the opinion on the Street is total disbelief that Congress would not come together and resolve this issue.

The financial consequences are so great, it is unimaginable that any group of sane people would allow this to happen, but then whoever said we are dealing with sane people.

<sigh>

Can't conservatives ever do ANYTHING (as in being involved in governance) without the result being a disaster or a disaster in the making?

I'm seriously asking about the highlighted part.

A self-described conservative, Bush 43, attacks Afghanistan and botches the hunt for bin Laden, resulting in the totally unbelievable presidential statement that he doesn't spend much time thinking about OBL. WTF?

Attack Iraq for nonexistent WMD? What's up with that?

Can't get to New Orleans for four friggin' days after Katrina? I could have driven to NO in my car in one day!

Prescription drug benefit (Medicare D) with NO bargaining for the lowest cost?

Going to bring down our credit rating because they won't raise the debt ceiling or taxes? WTF?

I'm sick of this argument that not raising the debt limit is doing something to threaten the country's credit rating.

Think about it: Greece's debt, spread evenly to every family, would be a burden of $40,000. Here in America it would be $45,000, and the left and Obama want us to believe that not increasing that number to $50,000 would hurt the country's credit yeah right. 63% of Americans, over 50% on all polls, the plurality of America is against this president.

What is it with conservatives that you guys are SO willing to reject reality in favor of a faith in your own beliefs, which aren't even backed up by any factual support? I mean, it's really mystifying.

Take the attack on Iraq for example. I didn't even include one of the post Iraq invasion fiascos which is now as clear as 20/20 hindsight, although it was perfectly clear to military experts prior to the invasion.

If you're going to invade a country with over 30 million people who have historical divisions along religious, ethnic, and tribal lines, take enough troops to secure the post invasion occupation. Despite warnings from Colin Powell (you remember the Powell Doctrine, right) and a large number of Generals), Bush and Rumsfeld just dismissed their concerns and plowed ahead with an inadequate force because they had "faith" that they were right. They weren't!

And here we are with the debt ceiling, and idiots who have NO idea what they're talking about claim that there is no threat to America's credit rating in the face of an overwhelming number of experts in business and the financial sector who say otherwise. Which side has more professional credibility?

We just need to up the ante by another trillion or so... that's will ease concerns about our creditworthiness.

A self-described conservative, Bush 43, attacks Afghanistan and botches the hunt for bin Laden, resulting in the totally unbelievable presidential statement that he doesn't spend much time thinking about OBL. WTF?

Can't get to New Orleans for four friggin' days after Katrina? I could have driven to NO in my car in one day!

Going to bring down our credit rating because they won't raise the debt ceiling or taxes? WTF?

What is it with conservatives that you guys are SO willing to reject reality in favor of a faith in your own beliefs, which aren't even backed up by any factual support? I mean, it's really mystifying.

Take the attack on Iraq for example. I didn't even include one of the post Iraq invasion fiascos which is now as clear as 20/20 hindsight, although it was perfectly clear to military experts prior to the invasion.

If you're going to invade a country with over 30 million people who have historical divisions along religious, ethnic, and tribal lines, take enough troops to secure the post invasion occupation. Despite warnings from Colin Powell (you remember the Powell Doctrine, right) and a large number of Generals), Bush and Rumsfeld just dismissed their concerns and plowed ahead with an inadequate force because they had "faith" that they were right. They weren't!

And here we are with the debt ceiling, and idiots who have NO idea what they're talking about claim that there is no threat to America's credit rating in the face of an overwhelming number of experts in business and the financial sector who say otherwise. Which side has more professional credibility?

Hey, genius.... if you are having trouble paying your debts at current levels, piling more debt on isn't going to help. In your world if you can't make the payments at $14,000,000,000,000, let's bump it up to $16,000,000,000,000?

And frankly.. WTF does the Powell Doctrine have to do with any of this?

When your expenses exceed your income, you lower your expenses, not increase them which is what borrowing money does.

Hey, genius.... if you are having trouble paying your debts at current levels, piling more debt on isn't going to help. In your world if you can't make the payments at $14,000,000,000,000, let's bump it up to $16,000,000,000,000?

And frankly.. WTF does the Powell Doctrine have to do with any of this?

Raising the debt ceiling is not the cause of increasing our debt. It's already going up due to our need to borrow money to meet our current debt obligations. So, NOT raising the debt ceiling is just plain stupid BECAUSE the subsequent rise in interest rates that would take place from any default WOULD increase our debt, both public AND private.

If you don't understand the comparison, I can't help you.

The tea party kooks better get a clue...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Standard & Poor's has warned lawmakers privately that it would downgrade the country's debt if the Treasury Department is forced to prioritize payments because Congress does not raise the debt limit, a congressional aide said on Thursday.

The warning undercuts an argument made by some Republicans that the country's credit rating would not be affected as long as the Treasury Department made debt service a priority over other obligations.

S&P warns lawmakers on debt limit downgrade: aide - Yahoo! News

US debt is a long term problem which can be addressed over time.

The debt ceiling/risk to the US credit rating is an immediate problem which needs to be addressed ASAP.

It's akin to the difference between a house with two problems. One is a termite problem. The other one is a fire. Which problem deserves to be taken care of first in your opinion?

Last edited:

do dims live in a time warp?

<sigh>

Do Pseudo-con live in a a constant state of cognitive dissonance?

<sigh>

They have been saying that for 1-1/2 years now. If we do not get our fiscal house in order they will downgrade US debt. Of Course so has Obama's own CBO--and he's ignored that also.

View attachment 14095

The debt ceiling/risk to the US credit rating is an immediate problem which needs to be addressed ASAP.

It's akin to the difference between house with two problems. One is a termite problem. The other one is a fire. Which problem deserves to be taken care of first in your opinion?

Addressed by whom?

<sigh>

I think your question might actually be an insight as to why so many conservatives don't seem to learn from past examples of being both wrong and in denial at the same time. They just refuse to learn from their mistakes. I guess ignorance IS bliss...for some people.

I think your question might actually be an insight as to why so many conservatives don't seem to learn from past examples of being both wrong and in denial at the same time. They just refuse to learn from their mistakes. I guess ignorance IS bliss...for some people.

Talking about learning from mistakes let's , adress the first time the fuckers defaulted, circa 1935.

Back then the bastard hads printed to much paper money. When the people tried to redeem the same Uncle Sam couldn't and defaulted.

The Lesson was LEARN TO LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS.

The fuckers, of course, ignored it.

Hopefully losing their credit rating will force the mo'fo's to live withing their means.

<sigh>

View attachment 14095

It's akin to the difference between house with two problems. One is a termite problem. The other one is a fire. Which problem deserves to be taken care of first in your opinion?

:clap2:

Forum List

Back