U.s. Flag causes controversy

JimJones

May 21, 2009
Tampa,Fl
This past Friday I saw a report about a man that had spent more then $180,000 to build an Italian supper club and was told he was all set to get a liquor license. After purchasing the building and doing the much needed renovations, he was told by the town’s board that they weren’t going to give him the needed license.

The man that lived in the 1000 person village of Crivitz, which is just outside Green Bay, saw his whole life flip upside down. His personal home, his family was at risk of going down in bankruptcy. This businessman, Vito Congine Jr., an Iraq war veteran, doesn’t know failure. He did what he was always been told to do when in distress, he raised his America flag union down to express his situation. He was making a distress call attempt to the people of his village, his nation, which he served.

Instead of finding help, within hours before the towns Forth of July parade four police officers accessed Congine property and removed the flag. Not only took it down but actually stole his flag. It’s been reported by the AP Press that the removal of the flag was under the advice of Marinette County District Attorney Allen Brey.

This is a flat out violation of Congine’s First Amendment rights. AP PRESS reported that neighbor Steven Klein watched in disbelief and said to the police officers “What are you doing?” And the Police responded by saying “It is none of your business.”

Marinette County Sheriff Jim Kanikula said it was not illegal to fly the flag upside down but people were upset and it was the Fourth of July.

How dare Sheriff Kanikula! He sights that it’s ok, but removes the flag and violates Vito Congine’s First Amendment rights on the very day we celebrate our freedom. The Fourth of July is a day that we reflect our free liberties not remove them the last time I checked. I am lost for words that this veteran that put his life at risk in Iraq to help free the people there can come home to be violated by his own government. This is unacceptable! This is the direction our country is heading and it needs to be stopped.

”Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” Abraham Lincoln.

source: AP News, FoxNews

-JimJones

Last edited:

Forum List

Back