U.S. Faces Shortage of Doctors

Care4all, seriously, the number one thing we can do to help with this is take responsibility for our own health by better diet and exercise. Making ourselves healthier is probably the most immediate and long lasting impact on costs.

SL...I meant to tell you earlier that I agreed with you that it is important to take better care of ourselves....but i got off rambling on another point...

Care4all, seriously, the number one thing we can do to help with this is take responsibility for our own health by better diet and exercise. Making ourselves healthier is probably the most immediate and long lasting impact on costs.

SL...I meant to tell you earlier that I agreed with you that it is important to take better care of ourselves....but i got off rambling on another point...

We agreed! I'm smiling over here and just wanted you to know that. This problem is not going to be a one-size-fits-all. Some more schools is a good idea too. More pieces of the puzzle need to fall into place.

Great news! Now that we're treating all the crack-ho's, drug dealers, illegal aliens, and people who just generally refuse to get off their ass, there won't be enough doctors to see all of us that have worked all our lives. Thank you idiot liberals. :clap2:

Great Melodrama! :clap2:

But utterly ridiculous argument.

crack ho's drug dealers illegal aliens ALREADY can acquire medical care through emergency rooms and those that are citizens probably get it through MEDICAID.....

Boomers are who will be visiting and utilizing the Doctors THE MOST under all stats....

Just because you have health insurance, Does NOT mean that you are automatically sick, and use it....sicknesses, primarily plague people when they are old.

Most people paying for health insurance, do not use it other than for yearly check ups....imo. Most people on medicare, DO USE IT, because they are sickly and have to.

Our problem with doctor shortages comes from Boomer Doctors retiring and the Boomer citizens hitting old age, nearly all at once...and the poor planning in the medical industry on estimated future doctors needed, as I have SHOWN, in previous articles.

He was talking about "Republicans".

Only 6% of scientists are Republican. That highlights their "disdain" for education. Doctors need education to BE a doctor. That means very few Republicans will ever become doctors. This country gets so tired of having to take care of Republicans who can't take care of themselves. Especially when it's the Democrats doing all the work.

The estimated Doctor shortage that the article mentioned numbers on was from a 2007 study of 2005 figures I believe.....3-5 YEARS BEFORE the Health Care Bill passed and 9 years before health care reform becomes effective in 2014...were there any concerns back in 2005-2007 about the future Doctor shortage?

The Doctors leaving the field were doing so LONG before HCR becomes affective....

Yeah, and the government just threw another 30 million people into the system. That'll sure help things along, huh....

It's interesting what happens when those who want to become doctors are disheartened due to the back breaking costs of college and med school isn't it?

If you have a system that starts off as only the rich being able to go to college, change it to a system that everyone can enter, and then make it so it's only the rich again, things like this will happen.

And what is your magic plan to just make becoming a doctor cheaper?

The question is, WHAT can we do about it? How can we increase the numbers in medical schools, nursing schools, medical technology schools etc. even MORE?

Where there is a problem, there is a solution....the glass is half full, not half empty folks.

Well, first off, don't make the professional a completely GRIM AND THANKLESS SERVITUDE with every aspect dictated by government bureaucrats.

Maybe more people would be interested in becoming doctors if they could actually exercise their wisdom and skills in the care of their patients instead of being micromanaged and second guessed by people who know far less than they do about the particular case.

The question is, WHAT can we do about it? How can we increase the numbers in medical schools, nursing schools, medical technology schools etc. even MORE?

Where there is a problem, there is a solution....the glass is half full, not half empty folks.

Well, first off, don't make the professional a completely GRIM AND THANKLESS SERVITUDE with every aspect dictated by government bureaucrats.

Maybe more people would be interested in becoming doctors if they could actually exercise their wisdom and skills in the care of their patients instead of being micromanaged and second guessed by people who know far less than they do about the particular case.

I Like Playing Doctor.

Perhaps we should encourage more role playing.:cool:

I Like Playing Doctor.

would have tought veterinarian...:eusa_whistle:

The estimated Doctor shortage that the article mentioned numbers on was from a 2007 study of 2005 figures I believe.....3-5 YEARS BEFORE the Health Care Bill passed and 9 years before health care reform becomes effective in 2014...were there any concerns back in 2005-2007 about the future Doctor shortage?

The Doctors leaving the field were doing so LONG before HCR becomes affective....

The Doctor shortage has been KNOWN since 2000......or before....of course with all the boomers heading to retirement, health care needs of the country would INCREASE.....

Care4all,

My county in the People's Republic of Illinois lost 160 doctors in 18 months because of all the malpractice suits filed over BS claims. The county is regularly listed as one of the nation's largest judicial "hell-holes". I don't care how many schools are opened, or how many incentives are offered, nothing is going to bring them back outside of tort reform. Unfortunately, this will never happen, as the lawyer lobby is far too powerful.

It's a sad state of affairs when you have to travel across state lines to find a doctor that is willing to take new patients. And only because their state has better protections for doctors.

I Like Playing Doctor.

What do you call a squid Dr?

crack ho's drug dealers illegal aliens ALREADY can acquire medical care through emergency rooms and those that are citizens probably get it through MEDICAID.....

Wait. You mean EVERYONE in the U.S. had access to medical care before this bill was passed? Why didn't someone tell me this? Oh, wait, that's what I've been saying for MONTHS and all these liberals insisted that I was wrong. Now we find out that we didn't need this bill in it's current form to begin with?

Rick

I Like Playing Doctor.

What do you call a squid Dr?

Octopodiatrist.

n154272646895_3505.jpg

The Doctor shortage has been KNOWN since 2000......or before....of course with all the boomers heading to retirement, health care needs of the country would INCREASE.....

Care4all,

My county in the People's Republic of Illinois lost 160 doctors in 18 months because of all the malpractice suits filed over BS claims. The county is regularly listed as one of the nation's largest judicial "hell-holes". I don't care how many schools are opened, or how many incentives are offered, nothing is going to bring them back outside of tort reform. Unfortunately, this will never happen, as the lawyer lobby is far too powerful.

It's a sad state of affairs when you have to travel across state lines to find a doctor that is willing to take new patients. And only because their state has better protections for doctors.

I understand the frustration, but it is not as simple as you may think....ESPECIALLY if you believe in the Small government and the Constitution.

What you are asking with Tort Reform, IS for the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to GET INVOLVED with our tort system, LIMITING what a person can sue for, regardless of the individual circumstances and CAPPING THIS Amount IN the FAVOR of a PRIVATE BUSINESS over and above the individual or citizen....by FAVORING the Doctor or the Hospital with this cap.

WHERE in the constitution, does it give this power, to the Federal Government???

WHAT happened to letting the "free market" work????

What gives you the right to dictate the cap of what some injured person, through the MALPRACTICE of the Doctor gets? Are you part of the Jury?

And where in our free market do you require a CAP on what people can sue for?????

WHY GIVE THIS PROTECTIONISM to ONLY one industry and NOT to everyone else out there struggling in business?

THIS IS NONE of the Federal government's business, NOR is it within their Power given to them and NOR should congress EVER pic and choose who wins or loses with things like this...and a CAP, PREDETERMINES THIS.

The problem we have is less than 2-5% of doctors cause all malpractice suits, some have been charged with malpractice more than 3-5 times, YET they continue to work and are NOT removed from practicing....and EVERY OTHER DOCTOR, who are good doctors, 95+% never in their lifetime comit malpractice YET THEY are the ones CHARGED for the mistakes of the few doctors that actually are probably crappy doctors.... SOMETHING is not right with that in my book....

You nailed it exactly!

From the cited AAMC report:

The problem will grow worse as the U.S. population
increases and ages. The U.S. Census Bureau projects that
the population will grow by more than 50 million (to 350
million) between 2006 and 2025. This alone likely will lead to a
considerable increase in the demand for physician services.

Moreover, an aging population is projected to drive demand up
and supply down: As the Baby Boomers age, they are more
likely to develop complex and multiple conditions, requiring
more extensive medical care. At the same time, more than one in
three physicians is currently over 55 and likely to retire within
the next two decades.

supply-demand08.jpg

The growing and aging U.S. population foreshadows an increasing
shortage of physicians over the next 15 years.

Sources: U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division; Dill, Michael J.
& Edward S. Salsberg. 2008. The Complexities of Physician Supply
and Demand: Projections through 2025. AAMC: Washington, DC.

Last edited:
Dear liberals,

Before you go giving yourselves too many high fives, consider the following:

1. Many of your doctors are babyboomers too. They are going to retire in large numbers too.

2. The very legislation you saw passed, may mean a significant number of doctors leave the profession in the next five years.

in 2005, long before this bill.... the estimate was 80,000 baby boomer physicians retiring....how many more do you think was added to that after this bill?

in 2005, long before this bill.... the estimate was 80,000 baby boomer physicians retiring....how many more do you think was added to that after this bill?

I have no real idea. It will be more, but the 80,000 you mention is a daunting total. I'm just trying to look at this in simple terms. Less doctors and more people seeking care. That is rationing and most likely a shift to physicans assistants, which may be a quality of care issue.

Speaking of physicans assistants, this may be part of your solution. You can crank them out faster than doctors.

I have no real idea. It will be more, but the 80,000 you mention is a daunting total. I'm just trying to look at this in simple terms. Less doctors and more people seeking care. That is rationing and most likely a shift to physicans assistants, which may be a quality of care issue.

Speaking of physicans assistants, this may be part of your solution. You can crank them out faster than doctors.

yep, that could be the answer....

skin cancer runs in my family, and we didn't know crud about the effects of the sun in my youth...shoot, i used baby oil and iodine on the jersey shore in my youth....and in florida with no sunscreen at all....anyway, i am at risk, and i have been to see a dermatologist 6 times now, and paid a Doctor's fee....over a hundred each for them, and NOT ONCE have i ever seen a Dermatologist or physician....ONLY the Physician assistant....and they even wrote the prescriptions! healthy/no cancer thank goodness...

the number retiring is daunting, i am not trying to diminish this crisis...i don't believe limiting who can get routine care is the answer either though....so physician assistants may be the way to go....at least short term...

yep, that could be the answer....

skin cancer runs in my family, and we didn't know crud about the effects of the sun in my youth...shoot, i used baby oil and iodine on the jersey shore in my youth....and in florida with no sunscreen at all....anyway, i am at risk, and i have been to see a dermatologist 6 times now, and paid a Doctor's fee....over a hundred each for them, and NOT ONCE have i ever seen a Dermatologist or physician....ONLY the Physician assistant....and they even wrote the prescriptions! healthy/no cancer thank goodness...

the number retiring is daunting, i am not trying to diminish this crisis...i don't believe limiting who can get routine care is the answer either though....so physician assistants may be the way to go....at least short term...

Lugging around that sword saving people outdoors all day really exposes you to the Sun. I'd suggest a career change. Although keep the outfit.

Personally, I don't understand why a pharmacist can't dispense antibiotics. Most are fairly inexpensive, so it is not like they are going to try and sell this in bulk to make money. Fairly easy to tell a cold from something more serious.

Forum List

Back