U.S. concerned about Turkey's Choice of Chinese Missile System.....

MMC

VIP Member
Sep 27, 2013
Chicago Illinois - USA
The United States said on Saturday it had expressed serious concerns to Turkey over its decision to co-produce a long-range air and missile defense system with a Chinese firm under U.S. sanctions.

Turkey, a member of the NATO military alliance, announced this week that it had chosen the FD-2000 missile defense system from China Precision Machinery Import and Export Corp, or CPMIEC, over rival systems from Russian, U.S. and European firms.

CPMIEC is under U.S. sanctions for violations of the Iran, North Korea and Syria Nonproliferation Act.

Some Western defense analysts have said they were surprised by Turkey's decision, having expected the contract to go to Raytheon Co, a U.S. company that builds the Patriot missile, or the Franco/Italian Eurosam SAMP/T.

The United States, Germany and the Netherlands each sent two Patriot batteries and up to 400 soldiers to operate them to southeastern Turkey early this year after Ankara asked NATO for help with air defenses against possible missile attack from Syria.

U.S. concerned about Turkey's choice of Chinese missile system

What is Turkey thinking.....here they have cried and whined about getting into NATO. Then they turn around and talk to the Chinese about a Missile System. This while we also sent 400 Troops to man those Patriot Missiles.

Defense Minister
"We had asked for joint production and a technology transfer," the Turkish minister said. "If other countries cannot guarantee us that, then we will turn to ones that can."
POLITICS - Turkey defends choice of Chinese missiles

Chinese will offer technology transfer.
In the end, Turkey will have a nationalized system with full rights.
In 5-10 years, when Turkey needs to make modifications on the system, Turks don't have to pay for Raytheon's "service-contracts" or depend on US government's approval, but will make all the changes themselves as the system (software) is open.
The Chinese offer was the best available.

Last edited:
Another lie , probably Usa wanted Turkey to buy a few Chinese system and lets see what is Chinese level of technology : )

Defense Minister
"We had asked for joint production and a technology transfer," the Turkish minister said. "If other countries cannot guarantee us that, then we will turn to ones that can."
POLITICS - Turkey defends choice of Chinese missiles

Chinese will offer technology transfer.
In the end, Turkey will have a nationalized system with full rights.
In 5-10 years, when Turkey needs to make modifications on the system, Turks don't have to pay for Raytheon's "service-contracts" or depend on US government's approval, but will make all the changes themselves as the system (software) is open.
The Chinese offer was the best available.

Mornin Ekrem.
hello.gif
Yeah we knew the Chinese would offer the Tech transfer.

Still.....like the OP stated there has to be a concern due to NATO. They wont be allowed to use both or attempt to integrate both.

Another lie , probably Usa wanted Turkey to buy a few Chinese system and lets see what is Chinese level of technology : )

Mornin Nox.
hello.gif
Why would it be a lie?

Moreover.....why settle for second best.

As to knowing Chinese Tech.....we already know and with far more sophisticated tech than some standard ballistic missiles.

Mornin Nox.
hello.gif
Why would it be a lie?
As to knowing Chinese Tech.....we already know and with far more sophisticated tech than some standard ballistic missiles.

This was just my first opinion when I hear this news a few days ago . Why an Usa ally buy defence missile system from a competitor country .

But now I can see more clearly that Turkey dont like Usa so much . They are trying to be completely independent of other countries as all types of industrial .

Mornin Nox.
hello.gif
Why would it be a lie?

This was just my first opinion when I hear this news a few days ago . Why an Usa ally buy defence missile system from a competitor country .

But now I can see more clearly that Turkey dont like Usa so much . They are trying to be completely independent of other countries as all types of industrial .

Nox countries buy stuff wherever they can or wish. The USA is not at war with
China or Turkey. What makes you think that china is a "competitor country"
with the USA ??? in what sense are we competitors? What makes you think that
Turkey does not like the USA? I know lots of Turks-----they all like the USA

If you love each other so much and if you trust each other so much , why Usa and Nato have voiced discomfort of this situation when Turkey explained about arms deal with China ?
Because they are bothered of Turkey will have missiles can shoot high altitude flying Usa bomber planes , Nato is afraid of Chinese missiles cannot be managed and followed through their radar system .

Last edited:

If you love each other so much and if you trust each other so much , why Usa and Nato have voiced discomfort of this situation when Turkey explained about arms deal with China ?
Because they are bothered of Turkey will have missiles can shoot high altitude flying Usa bomber planes , Nato is afraid of Chinese missiles cannot be managed and followed through their radar system .

Heya Nox.
hat.gif
They are more concerned about security with any integration. Not because NATO is worried about China. Well maybe the Europeans have something to worry about. Since most of NATO's Military Might comes from the US.....we are hardly worried about the Chinese having Rockets getting thru to anything.

Whoa!!!

It's one thing if they wanna thumb their nose at our President. But don't go dissing our military industrial complex!!! Is Raytheon just supposed to look the other way? There will be repercussions!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back