U.S. appeals court denies Trump administration request to resume federal executions

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Ban on executing continues:

U.S. appeals court denies Trump administration request to resume federal executions

"A U.S. appeals court on Monday denied the Justice Department's request to overturn a lower court decision that temporarily stalled plans by President Donald Trump's administration to resume executions of prisoners convicted of certain federal crimes after a 16-year hiatus.
The three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit found that the administration had "not satisfied the stringent requirements" to stay the lower court's ruling. The administration had planned to resume executions of federal death row inmates starting on Dec. 9."

"A U.S. appeals court on Monday denied the Justice Department's request to overturn a lower court decision that temporarily stalled plans by President Donald Trump's administration to resume executions of prisoners convicted of certain federal crimes after a 16-year hiatus.
The three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit found that the administration had "not satisfied the stringent requirements" to stay the lower court's ruling. The administration had planned to resume executions of federal death row inmates starting on Dec. 9."

They will take it to the Supreme Court.

It's a toss up on how they will rule on this.

I support the ban.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz

I support the ban.
I don't but if Ruth Ginsberg is forced out due to health reasons it would be impossible to keep in place our de facto ban on death penalties. This argument should be had in front of the court and the matter should be settled once and for all.

Who in the administration is pushing this?

I support the ban.
When it comes to mass murderers, child murderers and serial killers, I completely support the death penalty. That said, I would want people executed only if the evidence is "so overwhelming" that it couldn't possibly have been anyone else that committed the crime(s).

Too bad. I rather liked the idea of 30 or so democrats all lined up against a wall blindfolded, cigarette in mouth, all executed for high crimes with a bunch of the very assault rifles they've tried to ban for years!

Too bad. I rather liked the idea of 30 or so democrats all lined up against a wall blindfolded, cigarette in mouth, all executed with a bunch of the very assault rifles they've tried to ban for years!
Of course you wood.

Too bad. I rather liked the idea of 30 or so democrats all lined up against a wall blindfolded, cigarette in mouth, all executed with a bunch of the very assault rifles they've tried to ban for years!
Of course you wood.
Oak or Maple? I prefer Wormy Chestnut.

Interestin' glimpse into your mind..ya might want to keep that on the down low.....lest the collectors come to visit you!

You wish to execute your political opposition....sounds like a familiar refrain in history, eh?

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz

Interestin' glimpse into your mind..ya might want to keep that on the down low.....lest the collectors come to visit you!

You wish to execute your political opposition....sounds like a familiar refrain in history, eh?

Never said a word about "political opposition," that was all fabricated in your odious mind. I have no "political opposition," child. Merely said I support execution of convicted state criminals by firing squad. When it comes to heinous crimes, I'm tired of seeing people left to live out good lives behind bars for decades at my expense! In most cases, they have it better in prison than they did on the street!

Besides, how bad can execution by firing squad really be? The Democrats have supported it for decades in Chicago.

Chicago Has Had More Than 12,000 Shootings Since 2010 (MAP)

Last edited:

Were the crimes of treason and sedition mentioned?

Never said a word about "political opposition," that was all fabricated in your odious mind. I have no "political opposition," child. Merely said I support execution of convicted state criminals by firing squad. When it comes to heinous crimes, I'm tired of seeing people left to live out good lives behind bars for decades at my expense! In most cases, they have it better in prison than they did on the street!

Besides, how bad can execution by firing squad really be? The Democrats have supported it for decades in Chicago.

Chicago Has Had More Than 12,000 Shootings Since 2010 (MAP)
LOL! You must be one old geezer..to call me child! I guess senility would explain your posts...

You said 'Democrats'--and then alluded to a political position--i.e. the banning of assault rifles.

I hope I get a transcript of your interrogation!

iu

Nope...just the ambiguous 'Certain crimes' phrase.

The issue appears to be about execution drugs and protocol..not specific crime.

last conviction for sedition..1949--a guy spreading Nazi propaganda...interestin'....

List of people convicted of treason - Wikipedia

United States
Further information: Category:people convicted of treason against the United States
  • Philip Vigol and John Mitchell, convicted of treason and sentenced to hanging; pardoned by George Washington; see Whiskey Rebellion.
  • John Fries, the leader of Fries' Rebellion, convicted of treason in 1800 along with two accomplices, and pardoned that same year by John Adams.
  • Governor Thomas Dorr 1844, convicted of treason against the state of Rhode Island; see Dorr Rebellion; released in 1845; civil rights restored in 1851; verdict annulled in 1854.
  • John Brown, convicted of treason against the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1859 and executed for attempting to organize armed resistance to slavery.
  • Aaron Dwight Stevens, took part in John Brown's raid and was executed in 1860 for treason against Virginia.
  • William Bruce Mumford, convicted of treason and hanged in 1862 for tearing down a United States flag during the American Civil War.
  • Walter Allen was convicted of treason on September 16, 1922 for taking part in the 1921 Miner's March with the coal companies and the US Army on Blair Mountain, West Virginia. He was sentenced to 10 years and fined. During his appeal to the Supreme Court he disappeared while out on bail. United Mineworkers of America leader William Blizzard was acquitted of the charge of treason by the jury on May 25, 1922.[13]
  • Max Stephan. Max Stephan, a German-born Detroit tavernkeeper, was convicted of treason on July 2, 1942, after the jury deliberated for only one hour and 23 minutes. In April 1942, Tuttle harbored and fed at his tavern a German pilot who escaped from a Canadian POW camp.[14] On August 6, Judge Arthur J. Tuttle sentenced Stephan to death by hanging.[15] He was the first man convicted and sentenced to death on a federal treason charge since the Civil War. His sentence was later commuted by President Roosevelt to life in prison.[16]
  • Hans Max Haupt, Walter Otto Froehling and Otto Richard Wergin were convicted of treason and sentenced to death, and Erna Emma Haupt, Lucille Froehling and Kate Martha Wergin were convicted of treason and sentenced to 25 years in prison on November 24 1942, in a joint indictment.[17] All six individuals were charged with treason for giving aid and comfort to the executed German saboteur Herbert Hans Haupt. On appeal, these judgments were reversed and remanded to be retried.[18] Hans Max Haupt was convicted again on June 9, 1944.[19] He was sentenced to life in prison. He appealed again, but the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed this judgement.[20] Walter Otto Froehling and Otto Richard Wergin were sentenced to 5 years in prison on July 22, 1944 as accessories to treason.[21] Hans Max Haupt eventually appealed the case up to the Supreme Court, which sustained the verdict against him.[22]
  • Martin James Monti, United States Army Air Forces pilot, convicted of treason for defecting to the Waffen SS in 1944. He was paroled in 1960.
  • Robert Henry Best, convicted of treason on April 16, 1948 and served a life sentence.
  • Iva Toguri D'Aquino, who is frequently identified by the name "Tokyo Rose", convicted 1949. Subsequently, pardoned by President Gerald Ford.
  • Mildred Gillars, also known as "Axis Sally", convicted of treason on March 8, 1949; served 12 years of a 10- to 30-year prison sentence.
  • Tomoya Kawakita, sentenced to death for treason in 1952, but eventually released by President John F. Kennedy to be deported to Japan.
  • Herbert John Burgman, convicted of treason in 1949 during WWII for spreading Nazi propaganda.

Last edited:
LOL! You must be one old geezer..to call me child! I guess senility would explain your posts...
I was addressing your mental age and apparent mental maturity since I cannot see your body.
You said 'Democrats'--and then alluded to a political position--i.e. the banning of assault rifles.
Democrats are pretty much synonymous with criminals. I can think of about 30 whom have already evaded felony conviction! And the banning of assault rifles is a political POSITION yes, you said political OPPOSITION. Since I'm not a politician, I don't have any political opponents.

If you want to converse with adults, you really need to learn to use the big boy words.

I was addressing your mental age and apparent mental maturity since I cannot see your body.
Democrats are pretty much synonymous with criminals. I can think of about 30 whom have already evaded felony conviction! And the banning of assault rifles is a political POSITION yes, you said political OPPOSITION. Since I'm not a politician, I don't have any political opponents.

If you want to converse with adults, you really need to learn to use the big boy words.
I always enjoy your posts...so very....off-----

You said, 'Democrats are pretty much synonymous with criminals.' Further proving my point...in what you fondly believe to be your rebuttal. Oh..and you have political opponents...millions and millions of them.

Tis war of words you wish--I fear you're a bit..errr..under-equipped.

I always enjoy your posts...so very....off-----

You said, 'Democrats are pretty much synonymous with criminals.' Further proving my point...in what you fondly believe to be your rebuttal. Oh..and you have political opponents...millions and millions of them.

Tis war of words you wish--I fear you're a bit..errr..under-equipped.

:cuckoo: :itsok:

last conviction for sedition..1949--a guy spreading Nazi propaganda...interestin'....

United States
Further information: Category:people convicted of treason against the United States
  • Philip Vigol and John Mitchell, convicted of treason and sentenced to hanging; pardoned by George Washington; see Whiskey Rebellion.
  • John Fries, the leader of Fries' Rebellion, convicted of treason in 1800 along with two accomplices, and pardoned that same year by John Adams.
  • Governor Thomas Dorr 1844, convicted of treason against the state of Rhode Island; see Dorr Rebellion; released in 1845; civil rights restored in 1851; verdict annulled in 1854.
  • John Brown, convicted of treason against the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1859 and executed for attempting to organize armed resistance to slavery.
  • Aaron Dwight Stevens, took part in John Brown's raid and was executed in 1860 for treason against Virginia.
  • William Bruce Mumford, convicted of treason and hanged in 1862 for tearing down a United States flag during the American Civil War.
  • Walter Allen was convicted of treason on September 16, 1922 for taking part in the 1921 Miner's March with the coal companies and the US Army on Blair Mountain, West Virginia. He was sentenced to 10 years and fined. During his appeal to the Supreme Court he disappeared while out on bail. United Mineworkers of America leader William Blizzard was acquitted of the charge of treason by the jury on May 25, 1922.[13]
  • Max Stephan. Max Stephan, a German-born Detroit tavernkeeper, was convicted of treason on July 2, 1942, after the jury deliberated for only one hour and 23 minutes. In April 1942, Tuttle harbored and fed at his tavern a German pilot who escaped from a Canadian POW camp.[14] On August 6, Judge Arthur J. Tuttle sentenced Stephan to death by hanging.[15] He was the first man convicted and sentenced to death on a federal treason charge since the Civil War. His sentence was later commuted by President Roosevelt to life in prison.[16]
  • Hans Max Haupt, Walter Otto Froehling and Otto Richard Wergin were convicted of treason and sentenced to death, and Erna Emma Haupt, Lucille Froehling and Kate Martha Wergin were convicted of treason and sentenced to 25 years in prison on November 24 1942, in a joint indictment.[17] All six individuals were charged with treason for giving aid and comfort to the executed German saboteur Herbert Hans Haupt. On appeal, these judgments were reversed and remanded to be retried.[18] Hans Max Haupt was convicted again on June 9, 1944.[19] He was sentenced to life in prison. He appealed again, but the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed this judgement.[20] Walter Otto Froehling and Otto Richard Wergin were sentenced to 5 years in prison on July 22, 1944 as accessories to treason.[21] Hans Max Haupt eventually appealed the case up to the Supreme Court, which sustained the verdict against him.[22]
  • Martin James Monti, United States Army Air Forces pilot, convicted of treason for defecting to the Waffen SS in 1944. He was paroled in 1960.
  • Robert Henry Best, convicted of treason on April 16, 1948 and served a life sentence.
  • Iva Toguri D'Aquino, who is frequently identified by the name "Tokyo Rose", convicted 1949. Subsequently, pardoned by President Gerald Ford.
  • Mildred Gillars, also known as "Axis Sally", convicted of treason on March 8, 1949; served 12 years of a 10- to 30-year prison sentence.
  • Tomoya Kawakita, sentenced to death for treason in 1952, but eventually released by President John F. Kennedy to be deported to Japan.
  • Herbert John Burgman, convicted of treason in 1949 during WWII for spreading Nazi propaganda.

I find it interesting all of the heated opposition for simply executing a convicted state criminal guilty of a heinous or high crime! Over the months and years reading various threads I have read many people promote the following views here:
  • Person on welfare or food stamps: cut them off, throw them in the streets and stomp them a new mudhole for being a burden to society the filthy animals!, regardless of the reasons (not known), if they are sick, a victim or disabled, no matter. Off with their heads.
  • Person resisting arrest: no matter the cause, maybe cop's an ass, maybe they are a mental case, off their meds, just had a parent die in a car crash, have some health or medical condition that doesn't allow them to get on the ground or put arms behind back, etc., don't know, don't care, no excuses, either jump to anything any cop tells you or get your head blown off. No exceptions.
  • Politicians spending money / not reducing the deficit: a terrible thing!
Now yet with about 1,500,000 prisoners in the USA, the average jail sentence between 4-10 years and growing longer all the time and blacks the majority of those incarcerated at an average cost upwards to $37,000 a year ($56 Billion a year just in incarceration costs), and with people like Charles Manson living on the state dime for 46 years at a cost of over $1 million dollars, playing ping pong, basketball, playing on the computer all day, a guy with no hope of parole, no redeeming value, that despite all that, a heated effort should be made to NOT execute such people even in the worst cases!

Cost of one bullet to the head: 30¢

Only a brainless California lib would OTOH bitch about the deficit then stand there defending spending $1 million dollars for 46 years on something like Manson that could have been treated just as well for 30 cents and 10 seconds and think they got a bargain. BOTH saw him put in a pine box, 6 feet under, only one was 3,300,000X cheaper. :21:

Last edited:

United States

I find it interesting all of the heated opposition for simply executing a convicted state criminal guilty of a heinous or high crime! Over the months and years reading various threads I have read many people promote the following views here:
  • Person on welfare or food stamps: cut them off, throw them in the streets and stomp them a new mudhole for being a burden to society the filthy animals!, regardless of the reasons (not known), if they are sick, a victim or disabled, no matter. Off with their heads.
  • Person resisting arrest: no matter the cause, maybe cop's an ass, maybe they are a mental case, off their meds, just had a parent die in a car crash, have some health or medical condition that doesn't allow them to get on the ground or put arms behind back, etc., don't know, don't care, no excuses, either jump to anything any cop tells you or get your head blown off. No exceptions.
Now yet with about 1,500,000 prisoners in the USA, the average jail sentence between 4-10 years and growing longer all the time and blacks the majority of those incarcerated at an average cost upwards to $37,000 a year ($56 Billion a year just in incarceration costs), and with people like Charles Manson living on the state dime for 46 years at a cost of over $1 million dollars, playing ping pong, basketball, playing on the computer all day, a guy with no hope of parole, no redeeming value, that despite all that, a heated effort should be made to NOT execute such people even in the worst cases!

Only a brainless California lib would OTOH bitch about the deficit then stand there defending spending $1 million dollars for 46 years on something like Manson that could have been treated just as well for 30 cents and 10 seconds and think they got a bargain. BOTH saw him put in a pine box, 6 feet under, only one was 3,300,000X cheaper. :21:
California sentenced Charles Manson to die. He was on death row waiting for execution when the US Supreme ruled the Death Penalty unconstitutional..thus commuting everyone who was under sentence of death..to life in prison..with parole. Every State was affected.

United States

California sentenced Charles Manson to die. He was on death row waiting for execution when the US Supreme ruled the Death Penalty unconstitutional..thus commuting everyone who was under sentence of death..to life in prison..with parole. Every State was affected.

Dang, Marge! Done snaked myself another weakfish!

cartoon-fisherman-catching-fish-19101196.jpg

United States

Dang, Marge! Done snaked myself another weakfish!

View attachment 292892
You catch it..you got ta eat it...
iu

Forum List

Back