U.K. - Can't Defend The Family??? Jesus.....

I asked – can’t you protect yourself, inflict bodily harm? He says – nope. Have to attempt to restrain the intruders. Can’t injure/kill them –result=jail time.

Not really true. English law allows reasonable force in self defense. Your friend's comments are probably based on a recent case (2005), in which the occupant was a drug dealer defending his illegal stash of drugs. In the U.S., if you use deadly force to defend your stash of drugs, you'll do time as well.

Vote Obama. We’ll be at this level about 2 years into his next Commie term.

Obama isn't running for office in England.

Unfreaking believable what the U.K. has become.

You've clearly not put much though into this at all. You're in the midst of an emotional reaction, though, so no amount of factual evidence will change your mind. Feel first - think never - the Republican way.

Last edited:
Firstly, you can buy a knife with a folding blade over the counter in camping, outdoor pursuits and field sports shops throughout the UK. But unless its blade's 3.5 inches or less, carrying one in public is forbidden.

Secondly, I own both a shotgun and .22 rimfire. Unless you've got a history of waving one around in public or general mental instability, getting a shotgun license in the UK is relatively easy. In fact, legally speaking, it's the right of any Brit of sound mind and moral integrity to be issued with one. Getting a Section 1 license - under which I hold my rimfire - is a bit harder, usually depending on what county you live in, but not impossible.

Lastly, and I'm going to word this very carefully, if you know of the right people, getting your hands on a run-of-the-mill self-loading handgun is relatively simple in places like London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and Glasgow. This falls in the realms of a .38 revolver, sawn-off shotgun and various common calibre automatics from Eastern Europe, specifically the Wanad P-83 and Makarov. You aren't, however (and contrary to what a lot of the recent UK 'gangster' films imply) likely to lay your hands on something like a Glock or Sig Sauer, unless you've got serious connections, which I haven't, I hasten to add.

The other avenue to explore would be ambiguous nature of deactivated firearms. A pre-1995 deactivated pistol was subject to the most scant alterations. For instance, someone I know has a .22 Webley revolver which was deactivated before '95. The only (laughable) restriction its endured is having the firing spur filed down. He informs me that a child would be more than capable of rendering the pistol capable of firing live ammo, if they so wished. Neither of us do. But both barrel and cylinders are clear and can accept ammo. Also, under EU law - which is responsible for stewarding the sale and movement of deactivated firearms - any deactivated weapon that bears a recognised proofing house stamp is legally defined a deactivated weapon and may pass borders. Without wanting to encourage anyone that wished to explore this loophole, it's common practice in some less developed countries left of the old Iron Curtain to deactivate a pistol by simply wedging a piece of plastic in the barrel, which can easily be removed without disturbing the rifling. Or they just remove the firing pin. Though reversing either procedure - which wouldn't be difficult - to the extent that it left you with a gun capable of firing live ammo would be in breach of the law.

The only reason I imagine anyone of good standing would want to lay their hands on an self-loading handgun in the UK would be to give themselves a headstart if the shit did hit the fan (which it's doing in places like Greece). Probably no surprise that sales in pre-'95 deacts have risen in the last few years...

Vote UKIP to see the handgun ban overturned.

3) Clearly not, dipshit. I am merely reporting facts in the UK. And at the rate the current regime is pushing anti-gun measures, this could be our dismal, pathetic future.

So, go fuck yourself.

Put your mouth back on Obama's ass now. You obviously get a "high" off of what he emits from his ass, vs. a cold Guiness.

Thanks.

There is the way liberals THINK it is, and the way it REALLY is. You won't get through to American libs by actually having been to the UK and know what's REALLY going on.

I work for a UK company. The executive Brits split their time half here and half in London. I know what you're saying is true.

I don't think he's wrong/making up stories. You can buy CRACK in the UK I am sure - not too sure it's legal.

Regarding knives - Anything that "folds" knife-wise, is illegal. Fact.

I'm not saying he might be wrong or right. He is dead wrong. You can buy firearms in the UK as long as you go through the correct process and do not have a criminal conviction.

I also have a friend who owns a camping shop in London. They sell swiss army knives. Fact....

You can't buy firearms in the UK as you can here. Fact.

So what?

And what I mentioned earlier about "self defense" is a fact also.
No it isn't. Brits are allowed to use reasonable force to defend their lives. Just because they aren't allowed to shoot someone in the head for looking at them wrong doesn't mean they can't defend their lives.
Perhaps someday when you venture out of the trailer park and experience life outside the US, you'll find out first-hand, vs. what you read between masterbation sessions on the internet.

Thanks.

Wow. You went to the UK. Congratulations, your an expert on British law.

Last edited:
3) Clearly not, dipshit. I am merely reporting facts in the UK. And at the rate the current regime is pushing anti-gun measures, this could be our dismal, pathetic future.

So, go fuck yourself.

Put your mouth back on Obama's ass now. You obviously get a "high" off of what he emits from his ass, vs. a cold Guiness.

Thanks.

There is the way liberals THINK it is, and the way it REALLY is. You won't get through to American libs by actually having been to the UK and know what's REALLY going on.

I work for a UK company. The executive Brits split their time half here and half in London. I know what you're saying is true.

So because he went to the UK, got drunk, and talked to a local in a pub, who was probably also drunk - makes him an expert on not only British law - but liberals as a whole.

Got it.

So because he went to the UK, got drunk, and talked to a local in a pub, who was probably also drunk - makes him an expert on not only British law - but liberals as a whole.

Got it.

Actually, assbrain, it was a discussion around the table during dinner.

I will take the word of a Brit, in person, vs. the word of a half-wit, uneducated stooge (you) I bump into on the Internets.

Twit.

Got it.

Actually, assbrain, it was a discussion around the table during dinner.

I will take the word of a Brit, in person, vs. the word of a half-wit, uneducated stooge (you) I bump into on the Internets.

Twit.

LOL! You'll take the word of any Brit - or just someone who tells you something that makes you feel something you know is right?

LOL! You'll take the word of any Brit - or just someone who tells you something that makes you feel something you know is right?

I certainly don't take the word of half-baked kooks (you) on Internet Forums

You don't have to take anyone's word. You could actually go and look up the relevant UK law. But that would require work on your part, and you might find out you're wrong, which would mean the facts would contradict your emotions, and we can't have that, can we?

So, go fuck yourself.

Thanks.

As pointed out, Warrior's friend was mistaken on the issues of knife and self defence law. Clearly you passed by posts numbers 17 and 22. Both from English posters.

It flows in the UK. American "version" on tap is chilled....

maybe it is in whatever shit hole you drink in, but it doesn't change the fact that it's irish, not british.

I don't give a fuck if it's Polish, asswipe. I never said it was British. That's what I enjoyed every night in the pub. They even had Heineken and Budweiser, you half-bred assfucker. Tell us where they're from genius and why it means a shit.

Let me guess...del?

The right to self-defense « Uncommon Misconceptions

Here are the basic rules for self-defense in Britain:

You are permitted to protect yourself with a briefcase, a handbag, or keys. You should shout “Call the Police” rather than “Help.” Bystanders are not to help. They have been taught to leave such matters to the professionals. If you manage to knock your attacker down, you must not hit him again or you risk being charged with assault.

I know lots of Brits. I work for a British company. The executive split their time equally between London and Los Angeles. What I have learned is that Brits themselves don't really understand self-defense or see a need for it. Self defense is somewhat distasteful.

Bookworm Room » Britain outlaws a homeowner’s self-defense against intruders
Myleene Klass, the broadcaster and model, brandished a knife at youths who broke into her garden – but has been warned by police that she may have acted illegally.

Miss Klass, a model for Marks & Spencer and a former singer with the pop group Hear’Say, was in her kitchen in the early hours of Friday when she saw two teenagers behaving suspiciously in her garden.

The youths approached the kitchen window, before attempting to break into her garden shed, prompting Miss Klass to wave a kitchen knife to scare them away.

Miss Klass, 31, who was alone in her house in Potters Bar, Herts, with her two-year-old daughter, Ava, called the police. When they arrived at her house they informed her that she should not have used a knife to scare off the youths because carrying an “offensive weapon” – even in her own home – was illegal.

One Brit, who describes himself as a pacifist, doesn't see the need for any kind of self defense. If you are nice, and cooperative, you might lose some property (possibly to someone who really needs it) but no one will hurt you.

You are permitted to protect yourself with a briefcase, a handbag, or keys. You should shout “Call the Police” rather than “Help.” Bystanders are not to help. They have been taught to leave such matters to the professionals. If you manage to knock your attacker down, you must not hit him again or you risk being charged with assault.

I know lots of Brits. I work for a British company. The executive split their time equally between London and Los Angeles. What I have learned is that Brits themselves don't really understand self-defense or see a need for it. Self defense is somewhat distasteful.

Myleene Klass, the broadcaster and model, brandished a knife at youths who broke into her garden – but has been warned by police that she may have acted illegally.

Miss Klass, a model for Marks & Spencer and a former singer with the pop group Hear’Say, was in her kitchen in the early hours of Friday when she saw two teenagers behaving suspiciously in her garden.

The youths approached the kitchen window, before attempting to break into her garden shed, prompting Miss Klass to wave a kitchen knife to scare them away.

Miss Klass, 31, who was alone in her house in Potters Bar, Herts, with her two-year-old daughter, Ava, called the police. When they arrived at her house they informed her that she should not have used a knife to scare off the youths because carrying an “offensive weapon” – even in her own home – was illegal.

One Brit, who describes himself as a pacifist, doesn't see the need for any kind of self defense. If you are nice, and cooperative, you might lose some property (possibly to someone who really needs it) but no one will hurt you.

Thats strange to me.

Just back from a week in the U.K.

Last night there – had dinner with a WONDERFUL couple (leg of lamb, veggies, potatoes, cheese, dessert – of course, Guiness – totally British!) and the topic of guns came up. I told our host how many guns I had in the house back in the States and he said, “Wait a minute…..”

He rushed upstairs to his hiding place and came back with a standard, WalMart issue pocket knife. He told me it’s illegal to have this – anything that “folds” is illegal. We are talking a basic pocket knife here.

I asked him – “What do you do if someone breaks in, attacks your wife, and you stab them with that thing?” He told me – he gets prison time, the attacker gets “Community Service.”

WTF???

I asked – can’t you protect yourself, inflict bodily harm? He says – nope. Have to attempt to restrain the intruders. Can’t injure/kill them –result=jail time.

I agree with Obama. You are too stupid to own a pocket knife.

Hilarious how guys like you insist you know more about a country foreign to you than the locals know themselves. I refer you once again to post 17. It even provides an example of how far 'reasonable' force extends...in that case to actually killing the intruder and facing no prosecution.

I'll take bullshit for $100 Alex.

BBC News - Is it illegal for Myleene Klass to wave a knife at intruders?

Just back from a week in the U.K.

Last night there – had dinner with a WONDERFUL couple (leg of lamb, veggies, potatoes, cheese, dessert – of course, Guiness – totally British!) and the topic of guns came up. I told our host how many guns I had in the house back in the States and he said, “Wait a minute…..”

He rushed upstairs to his hiding place and came back with a standard, WalMart issue pocket knife. He told me it’s illegal to have this – anything that “folds” is illegal. We are talking a basic pocket knife here.

I asked him – “What do you do if someone breaks in, attacks your wife, and you stab them with that thing?” He told me – he gets prison time, the attacker gets “Community Service.”

WTF???

Only just saw this OP.

In 2007, to be certain, I asked a cop at Waterloo station whether it was illegal to carry a knife. he said it depends on the type of knife and the length of blade. I produced a swiss army knife attached to my keyring. He instantly said, "No, that's fine, blade isn't too long and it doesn't lock."

If someone breaks into your house, you can't just take that as carte blanche to kill them. You can use appropriate force to defend yourself.

Your friend was being dramatic. It must have been a good dinner.

David Cameron said he did not know the full facts of the case but said the police “do seem to do things that slightly fly in the face of common sense”. Asked about the incident on ITV’s This Morning, he said: “If that is the case I think it is ridiculous to complain about someone who is obviously worried about what people were threatening her with. “Sometimes the police do seem to do things that slightly fly in the face of common sense.” He went on: “I don’t know the facts of the case and sometimes when you look at these cases and you find a bit more detail, you find it is not quite ... what it appears. But we want some common sense in policing. One of the things that has gone wrong with all this red tape and form filling is that we are taking away discretion from the nurse, the teacher, the doctor, the police officer. We have got to give them back that discretion.”

David Cameron defends Myleene Klass on 'common sense' policing | UK News | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express

Look, there is no way it can be illegal for someone to wave a knife around in their own home. I don't care what the law says, if the law says you can't brandish a knife, why don't they just ban knives?

The law is bad enough over here. Can't carry a knife for self protection, and we wonder why people are attacked and robbed. They can't fight back, obviously. Some demented people here even ask 'why does anyone need to carry a knife'. Well, duh. Most people carry a knife for self protection. I wish I could.

David Cameron said he did not know the full facts of the case but said the police “do seem to do things that slightly fly in the face of common sense”. Asked about the incident on ITV’s This Morning, he said: “If that is the case I think it is ridiculous to complain about someone who is obviously worried about what people were threatening her with. “Sometimes the police do seem to do things that slightly fly in the face of common sense.” He went on: “I don’t know the facts of the case and sometimes when you look at these cases and you find a bit more detail, you find it is not quite ... what it appears. But we want some common sense in policing. One of the things that has gone wrong with all this red tape and form filling is that we are taking away discretion from the nurse, the teacher, the doctor, the police officer. We have got to give them back that discretion.”

David Cameron defends Myleene Klass on 'common sense' policing | UK News | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express

Full 'facts' appear to be that the police say they never gave her that advice, unless someone knows something different...

Forum List

Back