U.K. - Can't Defend The Family??? Jesus.....

Look, there is no way it can be illegal for someone to wave a knife around in their own home. I don't care what the law says, if the law says you can't brandish a knife, why don't they just ban knives?

The law is bad enough over here. Can't carry a knife for self protection, and we wonder why people are attacked and robbed. They can't fight back, obviously. Some demented people here even ask 'why does anyone need to carry a knife'. Well, duh. Most people carry a knife for self protection. I wish I could.

As has been pointed out, the view expressed in the OP is wrong. It's not illegal. She's on private property so has not broken a law there, and the possible charge of assault would not stand as she's defending herself, her property and her child.

Look, there is no way it can be illegal for someone to wave a knife around in their own home. I don't care what the law says, if the law says you can't brandish a knife, why don't they just ban knives?

The law is bad enough over here. Can't carry a knife for self protection, and we wonder why people are attacked and robbed. They can't fight back, obviously. Some demented people here even ask 'why does anyone need to carry a knife'. Well, duh. Most people carry a knife for self protection. I wish I could.

As has been pointed out, the view expressed in the OP is wrong. It's not illegal. She's on private property so has not broken a law there, and the possible charge of assault would not stand as she's defending herself, her property and her child.

Doesn't stop people from believing it.

David Cameron said he did not know the full facts of the case but said the police “do seem to do things that slightly fly in the face of common sense”. Asked about the incident on ITV’s This Morning, he said: “If that is the case I think it is ridiculous to complain about someone who is obviously worried about what people were threatening her with. “Sometimes the police do seem to do things that slightly fly in the face of common sense.” He went on: “I don’t know the facts of the case and sometimes when you look at these cases and you find a bit more detail, you find it is not quite ... what it appears. But we want some common sense in policing. One of the things that has gone wrong with all this red tape and form filling is that we are taking away discretion from the nurse, the teacher, the doctor, the police officer. We have got to give them back that discretion.”

David Cameron defends Myleene Klass on 'common sense' policing | UK News | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express

Full 'facts' appear to be that the police say they never gave her that advice, unless someone knows something different...

The police say they never gave her that advice???? The claim isn't in the article you posted. Only that David Cameron said that he thought the advice lacked common sense.

David Cameron said he did not know the full facts of the case but said the police “do seem to do things that slightly fly in the face of common sense”. Asked about the incident on ITV’s This Morning, he said: “If that is the case I think it is ridiculous to complain about someone who is obviously worried about what people were threatening her with. “Sometimes the police do seem to do things that slightly fly in the face of common sense.” He went on: “I don’t know the facts of the case and sometimes when you look at these cases and you find a bit more detail, you find it is not quite ... what it appears. But we want some common sense in policing. One of the things that has gone wrong with all this red tape and form filling is that we are taking away discretion from the nurse, the teacher, the doctor, the police officer. We have got to give them back that discretion.”

David Cameron defends Myleene Klass on 'common sense' policing | UK News | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express

Full 'facts' appear to be that the police say they never gave her that advice, unless someone knows something different...

The police say they never gave her that advice???? The claim isn't in the article you posted. Only that David Cameron said that he thought the advice lacked common sense.

:confused:

What?

It's always best to check a report from the red tops who go for sensationalism, rather than accuracy, in reporting....

But a statement from Hertfordshire police said: "Officers spoke to reassure the home owner, talked through security and gave advice in relation to the importance of reporting suspicious activity immediately to allow officers to act appropriately."

It added: "For clarification, at no point were any official warnings or words of advice given to the home owner in relation to the use of a knife or offensive weapon in their home."

BBC News - Myleene Klass has 'no regrets' over knife incident

A knife wouldn't really do jack shit over here if someone is pointing a Desert Eagle in your grill.

It's always best to check a report from the red tops who go for sensationalism, rather than accuracy, in reporting....

But a statement from Hertfordshire police said: "Officers spoke to reassure the home owner, talked through security and gave advice in relation to the importance of reporting suspicious activity immediately to allow officers to act appropriately."

It added: "For clarification, at no point were any official warnings or words of advice given to the home owner in relation to the use of a knife or offensive weapon in their home."

BBC News - Myleene Klass has 'no regrets' over knife incident

Yeah, exactly. Odd that that's covered in the link I posted but Katz appears to be saying it isn't.

Well, maybe not that odd.

It´s the same in sweden if you defends your relatives or your property you go to jail often it happens that the defender gets harder punishment then the theif.

It is legal to own a firearm in the UK as long as you go through the proper processes. Oh, and your friend is wrong. You can own and buy pocket knives in the UK. Now, flick knives, they're a whole different issue...

I don't think he's wrong/making up stories. You can buy CRACK in the UK I am sure - not too sure it's legal.

Regarding knives - Anything that "folds" knife-wise, is illegal. Fact.

I'm not saying he might be wrong or right. He is dead wrong. You can buy firearms in the UK as long as you go through the correct process and do not have a criminal conviction.

I also have a friend who owns a camping shop in London. They sell swiss army knives. Fact....

You are right: Might be able to shed some light on this as a native.
1: Handguns are completely illegal for private use as a result of legislation brought in after the Dunblane massacre. Amusingly, this legislation does not cover flintlock pistols which have seen a resurgence in gun clubs.
2: Rifles are legal, but getting a license is pretty difficult (i.e. you have to be a Scottish highland park ranger or a member of a gun club etc.). Shotguns are easier because the rich 'sporting' types who like to blow stupid pheasants out of the sky often sit in parliament and would never have approved legislation that would have curtailed their fun. Still, you have to be vetted and hold a license.
3: Knives are completely legal. (Sumurai swords, longswords, Bowie knives, Swiss army knives, axes etc. are all legal).

Think about it, would there be any point banning Swiss army knives without also banning every kitchen knife? The law here states that you can be arrested for carrying an offensive weapon, but that can be anything, including screwdrivers, baseball bats, carpet knives. The presumed intent at time of arrest is what you would get done for.

Forum List

Back