Two thumbs up!

You know for a fact that UPS would pay their delivery men $7.95 an hour? And how much you make per hour doesn't make you an honest person. If you're inclined to steal then I'd wager you'd be willing to do so regardless of how much you're making.

did i say UPS?....i thought i said Joes Delivery Service.....yep thats what i said.....UPS has NO desire to deliver letters....and we in the PO are kinda monitored by the Postal Inspection service....you might steal...but you wont be stealing for long....if it comes to their attention that things are not showing up....they will set you up and catch you....and they WILL catch you.....and only an idiot would throw away the pay and benifits you get working here to steal something....a guy making 10 bucks an hour with very little or no benefits may not care as much....

What about a casual? They only get $12/hour and no benefits. They're employed by the USPS and maybe they're more likely to steal then? At any rate, the fact is that theft can happen no matter what. The point is that it's illegal to steal. The Post Office could do it, some random person walking down the street could do it, or somebody from a private firm could do it. That's no reason to continue giving the Post Office, who has consistently lost money and been a drain on the economy, a monopoly in first class mail delivery.

and if they are stealing they will be found out and fired and many times arrested....and there is enough problems delivering the mail with one company doing it,if there were 8or9 you would have even more problems....and your congress wont let the post office make money,they cant even set prices without approval from them.....and since it has not been tax supported for about 30 years,how is it a drain on the economy?.....

did i say UPS?....i thought i said Joes Delivery Service.....yep thats what i said.....UPS has NO desire to deliver letters....and we in the PO are kinda monitored by the Postal Inspection service....you might steal...but you wont be stealing for long....if it comes to their attention that things are not showing up....they will set you up and catch you....and they WILL catch you.....and only an idiot would throw away the pay and benifits you get working here to steal something....a guy making 10 bucks an hour with very little or no benefits may not care as much....

What about a casual? They only get $12/hour and no benefits. They're employed by the USPS and maybe they're more likely to steal then? At any rate, the fact is that theft can happen no matter what. The point is that it's illegal to steal. The Post Office could do it, some random person walking down the street could do it, or somebody from a private firm could do it. That's no reason to continue giving the Post Office, who has consistently lost money and been a drain on the economy, a monopoly in first class mail delivery.

and if they are stealing they will be found out and fired and many times arrested....and there is enough problems delivering the mail with one company doing it,if there were 8or9 you would have even more problems....and your congress wont let the post office make money,they cant even set prices without approval from them.....and since it has not been tax supported for about 30 years,how is it a drain on the economy?.....

That would apply to anyone, not just the Postal Service. You say there would be more problems, but competition is good in every other industry so I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same for first class mail delivery. Likely it would be a problem for the Post Office, but good for everyone else. My Congress? I say let the market decide their prices, but let others compete to see if they can do a better job. How is a company that's been losing money for years, and $7 billion in the red this year alone, not a drain on the economy? A privately owned firm would have gone out of business.

You seem to be under the impression, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, that a free market would somehow be without laws. There are still laws in a free market. Laws against fraud, for instance. What you don't need are onerous regulations that only serve to hamper business growth and competition. The government's duty in a free market would be to enforce contracts and prosecute fraud.

there goes that theme music to the Twilight Zone again...

Please feel free to continue ignoring the points I made and deflect and demean some more.

Kevin, the code of federal regulations is law - administrative law. And these are the rules and regulations set forth by the Executive. The Congress gives the President broad authority to interpret laws passed by the Congress. The fact is the 'free market' is an idea which has never (at least in a devoloped nation) existed.
Does the Federal (or state or local) government have the duty to enforce pollution laws? In a free market wouldn't someone be able to take as many fish, crab, etc. as they wanted? Why can't someone practice medicine, law, etc. without a license? All rules limiting the above also limit a 'free market'. Don't they?

there goes that theme music to the Twilight Zone again...

Please feel free to continue ignoring the points I made and deflect and demean some more.

Kevin, the code of federal regulations is law - administrative law. And these are the rules and regulations set forth by the Executive. The Congress gives the President broad authority to interpret laws passed by the Congress. The fact is the 'free market' is an idea which has never (at least in a devoloped nation) existed.
Does the Federal (or state or local) government have the duty to enforce pollution laws? In a free market wouldn't someone be able to take as many fish, crab, etc. as they wanted? Why can't someone practice medicine, law, etc. without a license? All rules limiting the above also limit a 'free market'. Don't they?

You're trying to change the issue. You took offense to what the article said and I have proved that the article is correct. If you don't support a free market you support some level of federal regulators running your life. The fact that there hasn't been a truly free market doesn't change that fact.

That would apply to anyone, not just the Postal Service. You say there would be more problems, but competition is good in every other industry so I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same for first class mail delivery. Likely it would be a problem for the Post Office, but good for everyone else. My Congress? I say let the market decide their prices, but let others compete to see if they can do a better job. How is a company that's been losing money for years, and $7 billion in the red this year alone, not a drain on the economy? A privately owned firm would have gone out of business.

kevin we are not talking about buying product like a fridge.....in the mail is checks,personal things,legal documents,medication etc....if one of those companies for instance goes belly up,ALL mail it has in its system,stays right where it is until the bankruptcy is settled,that means if you had something important coming and you need it now....tough shit....we have gone through this many times with the private po boxes places....one guy had his mail held 6 weeks until they were done with the process....and he lost a few bucks because of that....he now uses USPS boxes....if privatization is so great....why is it in countries who have privatized,they seem to just have ONE postal service.....answer...because through the decades they have all seen the mess that can happen if two many companies touch the mail.....and on top of that,this debate is moot....in twenty years all mail should be electronic.,...

kevin we are not talking about buying product like a fridge.....in the mail is checks,personal things,legal documents,medication etc....if one of those companies for instance goes belly up,ALL mail it has in its system,stays right where it is until the bankruptcy is settled,that means if you had something important coming and you need it now....tough shit....we have gone through this many times with the private po boxes places....one guy had his mail held 6 weeks until they were done with the process....and he lost a few bucks because of that....he now uses USPS boxes....if privatization is so great....why is it in countries who have privatized,they seem to just have ONE postal service.....answer...because through the decades they have all seen the mess that can happen if two many companies touch the mail.....and on top of that,this debate is moot....in twenty years all mail should be electronic.,...

Why not let people choose for themselves who they want to send their mail through?

Why not let people choose for themselves who they want to send their mail through?

Kev....i understand what you are saying....but after 30 years of doing this and talking to people from all walks of life rich,poor, in-between.....there is only one person 90% of those people trust fucking with their mail box....the USPS letter carrier....the USPS has the highest approval rating of any govt agency......buy a good margin.....and its all because of the guy hoofing it out there.....but hey if you want to pay a buck to have letter delivered....go for it....

Kev....i understand what you are saying....but after 30 years of doing this and talking to people from all walks of life rich,poor, in-between.....there is only one person 90% of those people trust fucking with their mail box....the USPS letter carrier....the USPS has the highest approval rating of any govt agency......buy a good margin.....and its all because of the guy hoofing it out there.....but hey if you want to pay a buck to have letter delivered....go for it....

So you're for legalizing competition then? If what you say is true the USPS obviously has nothing to fear from a little competition. And I know what you mean about the guy out there hoofing it. People tend to like their mailman, and for some it's the only contact they have in a day.

Forum List

Back