Two Questions for Atheists

I think he is just making a distinction between what people say and the inner doubts that every has about anything from time to time...especially after praying for decades with no answer most people will start to wonder and they may never admit that to you out of fear of being perceived as weak or faithless or even worse, an unbeliever......
There is a distinct difference the moron fails to recognize. Believing God exists is not the same thing as questioning one's faith in God. Two entirely different things. I can believe God exists while questioning whether my "version" of God is correct.

My original point was that most religious believers in God have, at some time, questioned their faith. Not that they doubted God existed... an entirely different argument. Prager pointed out that most Atheists are reluctant to question their beliefs. He cites a symposium he attended where he was debating an Atheist before a predominately Atheist audience and he asked them for a show of hands to his second question, "Do you ever have doubts about your beliefs?" Not a single hand went up.

I don't know if this means much but I found in an interesting contrast with "believers" who constantly question their faith. I'm not entirely sure I agree with Prager on this. In a recent study on Atheism in Denmark, the most Atheistic country on the planet, some interesting facts emerged. While nearly 66% profess to be "Atheist," when the follow-up question was asked, "Do you believe there is absolutely no possibility of any God whatsoever?" Only 32% of the 66% answered affirmatively. So, only a third of self-professed Atheists were willing to go so far as to say there is absolutely no possibility of any God whatsoever. And that seems to dovetail nicely with many early responses to this thread, where several of USMB's most Atheistic posters refused to acknowledge their own Atheism, if favor of a more "intellectual" Agnostic position. Some even went so far as to associate Agnosticism with Atheism as if they are one in the same.

As I've said before, some "Atheists" are bigger believers in God than some "Christians."

What gets me about atheists is that one minute they say that God is an evil bastard for allowing evil people to get away with doing evil things without intervening and the next minute say that God is an amoral heartless bastard for intervening and destroying the very same people who they complain about getting away with perpetuating evil.

Seems like their entire argument is based solely on derision.

What gets me about Christians is that they are calling for the death of gay people.

What you say- most Christians don't say that? No- but there are Christians that do- just as there are Atheists that say stuff.

As an atheist- I don't believe in God- so I don't say God is an evil Bastard- because he doesn't exist. Long ago I did question why the God of the Bible killed so many people- but I long ago moved on from that- if pressed I could question why you believe in a God that has killed so many- and ordered so many killed- but asking why people believe in some fairy in the sky is fruitless.

Of course you are right. Glad you moved on..

The way I see it not believing that God is some sort of evil bastard isn't really any different than believing that he is an evil bastard except that trying to emulate an evil bastard tips the scales.

If someone knocked on your door acting as if he thought you were an evil scumbag wouldn't you slam the door in his face and throw him out into the darkness?

Let me ask you, what is this obsession with the unfairness of death as if some other earthly life form doesn't die?

Can't you see that life exactly as it is and has always been is a very good thing however many numbskulls are running amok?

And what is so hard to believe that in the past like now some people attribute their evil actions to some supreme authority, God made me do it?

Still there is much relevant information essential to good mental health to be found as in kosher law that demonstrates wisdom and a knowledge of the inner workings of the human mind uncharacteristic of the superstitious human beings of the time that surpasses even our own.

Isn't that enough reason to keep digging deeper? That discovery alone changes forever the image of God in the rational mind into a being worthy of the title..

Last edited:
If you don't think Hitchens was an atheist then you have no idea what the word means.
There are plenty of resources. Go to YouTube and he'll explain the difference to you himself.

Hitchens was an atheist, as are all agnostics.
I'm agnostic, and I'm not an atheist.

I simply am willing to admit that I don't know.

And I know others like me.

"I'm agnostic, and I'm not an atheist."

Of course you are. "Atheist" is one who lacks belief in god. All agnostics lack belief in god. Else, they would be theists. Most people have been using the word "atheist" incorrectly. An atheist who believes/"knows" there is no god is a "gnostic atheist", which is a special case of atheism, just as a square is a special case of a rectangle.

but, we don't call rectangles, "not-square rectangles", do we? So, "agnostic atheist " is a cumbersome, unnecessary term. You are either theist, or atheist. Agnostics are all atheists.
That's your personal definition of the words, not mine.

I say I'm agnostic because I don't know. An atheist says there is absolutely no God. That's a pretty clear distinction to me.

"Anatheist says there is absolutely no God."

That is what a GNOSTIC atheist says. An agnostic atheist cannot say that with certainty.

There are plenty of resources. Go to YouTube and he'll explain the difference to you himself.

Hitchens was an atheist, as are all agnostics.
I'm agnostic, and I'm not an atheist.

I simply am willing to admit that I don't know.

And I know others like me.

"I'm agnostic, and I'm not an atheist."

Of course you are. "Atheist" is one who lacks belief in god. All agnostics lack belief in god. Else, they would be theists. Most people have been using the word "atheist" incorrectly. An atheist who believes/"knows" there is no god is a "gnostic atheist", which is a special case of atheism, just as a square is a special case of a rectangle.

but, we don't call rectangles, "not-square rectangles", do we? So, "agnostic atheist " is a cumbersome, unnecessary term. You are either theist, or atheist. Agnostics are all atheists.
That's your personal definition of the words, not mine.

I say I'm agnostic because I don't know. An atheist says there is absolutely no God. That's a pretty clear distinction to me.

That is what a GNOSTIC atheist says. An agnostic atheist cannot say that with certainty.
Great, okay, whatever.

I think he is just making a distinction between what people say and the inner doubts that every has about anything from time to time...especially after praying for decades with no answer most people will start to wonder and they may never admit that to you out of fear of being perceived as weak or faithless or even worse, an unbeliever......
There is a distinct difference the moron fails to recognize. Believing God exists is not the same thing as questioning one's faith in God. Two entirely different things. I can believe God exists while questioning whether my "version" of God is correct.

My original point was that most religious believers in God have, at some time, questioned their faith. Not that they doubted God existed... an entirely different argument. Prager pointed out that most Atheists are reluctant to question their beliefs. He cites a symposium he attended where he was debating an Atheist before a predominately Atheist audience and he asked them for a show of hands to his second question, "Do you ever have doubts about your beliefs?" Not a single hand went up.

I don't know if this means much but I found in an interesting contrast with "believers" who constantly question their faith. I'm not entirely sure I agree with Prager on this. In a recent study on Atheism in Denmark, the most Atheistic country on the planet, some interesting facts emerged. While nearly 66% profess to be "Atheist," when the follow-up question was asked, "Do you believe there is absolutely no possibility of any God whatsoever?" Only 32% of the 66% answered affirmatively. So, only a third of self-professed Atheists were willing to go so far as to say there is absolutely no possibility of any God whatsoever. And that seems to dovetail nicely with many early responses to this thread, where several of USMB's most Atheistic posters refused to acknowledge their own Atheism, if favor of a more "intellectual" Agnostic position. Some even went so far as to associate Agnosticism with Atheism as if they are one in the same.

As I've said before, some "Atheists" are bigger believers in God than some "Christians."

What gets me about atheists is that one minute they say that God is an evil bastard for allowing evil people to get away with doing evil things without intervening and the next minute say that God is an amoral heartless bastard for intervening and destroying the very same people who they complain about getting away with perpetuating evil.

What gets me about Christians is that they are calling for the death of gay people.

What you say- most Christians don't say that? No- but there are Christians that do- just as there are Atheists that say stuff.

As an atheist- I don't believe in God- so I don't say God is an evil Bastard- because he doesn't exist. Long ago I did question why the God of the Bible killed so many people- but I long ago moved on from that- if pressed I could question why you believe in a God that has killed so many- and ordered so many killed- but asking why people believe in some fairy in the sky is fruitless.

Of course you are right.

Glad you moved on..

The way I see it not believing that God is some sort of evil bastard isn't really any different than believing that he is an evil bastard except that trying to emulate an evil bastard tips the scales.

Let me ask you, what is this obsession with the unfairness of death as if some other earthly life form doesn't die?

Can't you see that life exactly as it is and has always been is a very good thing however many numbskulls are running amok?

And what is so hard to believe that in the past like now some people attribute their evil actions to some supreme authority, God made me do it?

Still there is much relevant information essential to good mental health to be found as in kosher law that demonstrates wisdom and a knowledge of the inner workings of the mind uncharacteristic of the superstitious human beings of the time that surpasses even our own.

Isn't that enough reason to keep digging deeper?

If someone knocked on your door acting as if he thought you were an evil scumbag wouldn't you slam the door in his face and throw him out into the darkness?

Not sure what you mean about this 'obsession with death'. Death is part of life- the end part of life.

However we recognize that babies being gunned down in a church is different tragedy than babies who die of natural causes in their crib.

I have no problem with calling the asshole who gunned down those innocent church goers as an murderous asshole- nor do I have a problem with calling some scumbag who orders his followers to murder innocent children to be a murderous asshole.

IF Christians tell me that the Bible is the word of God- that everything in the Bible is divinely inspired and true- and if that is the case- then that God knowingly murdered millions of children in the Flood. That God specifically ordered his chosen people to massacre children in sacked cities.

Yeah- in the past I contemplated things like that- and decided that was not a God I would ever be able to 'worship'- but as I said- that was long ago- when I realized I didn't even believe that such a god exists- the question really became moot except to respond to Christians who demand that I accept their God- but that I don't dare question why he would specifically kill children.

The death of gay people is just the sign we read during an Indiana protest: "God hates gays." The problem with xian mental geometry has already been explored by Feud's first inner circle. The group came to the conclusion that a female who aligns herself with the xian trinity has two choices: ecstatic melancholy or living her life thinking of herself as a male homosexual. The violence that will rumble just under the surface will then encompass both genders.

"Gnostic Atheist" is an oxymoron... moron!

Gnosticism is an obsolete and defunct 2nd century religious belief. Gnostic means knowledge of mystical things. You cannot, by definition, be both an Atheist AND a Gnostic.

Of course you are right.

Glad you moved on..

Still there is much relevant information essential to good mental health to be found as in kosher law that demonstrates wisdom and a knowledge of the inner workings of the mind uncharacteristic of the superstitious human beings of the time that surpasses even our own.

Not sure what you mean about this 'obsession with death'. Death is part of life- the end part of life.

However we recognize that babies being gunned down in a church is different tragedy than babies who die of natural causes in their crib.

I have no problem with calling the asshole who gunned down those innocent church goers as an murderous asshole- nor do I have a problem with calling some scumbag who orders his followers to murder innocent children to be a murderous asshole.

IF Christians tell me that the Bible is the word of God- that everything in the Bible is divinely inspired and true- and if that is the case- then that God knowingly murdered millions of children in the Flood. That God specifically ordered his chosen people to massacre children in sacked cities.

Yeah- in the past I contemplated things like that- and decided that was not a God I would ever be able to 'worship'- but as I said- that was long ago- when I realized I didn't even believe that such a god exists- the question really became moot except to respond to Christians who demand that I accept their God- but that I don't dare question why he would specifically kill children.

Why would God order the destruction of everything, including women and children? I think its a fair question. I never met a preacher, priest, or rabbi who ever claimed to know why.

One can speculate. .. Mental aberrations? Inbreeding? Too much denisovan dna? To end their violent reign of terror? To bring peace to the land? Who can say?

I certainly can understand why one tribe of people would seek to utterly destroy another. Isis comes to mind.

BTW, Do you think there were any women and children in Hiroshima? Cattle? Donkeys? household pets?

Last edited:
Pagans of Armenia killed their children and themselves as the crusading Christians were advancing toward them. Xianity is a pathology worth studying, especially since Samuel Taylor Coleridge claimed that xianity and paganism were the same religion.

Gnosticism is an obsolete and defunct 2nd century religious belief. Gnostic means knowledge of mystical things. You cannot, by definition, be both an Atheist AND a Gnostic.

"Gnostic atheist" is not an oxymoron. And one can be an atheist without being certain there is no god, or even adopting a belief that there is no god. You are 100% wrong.

I wasn't speaking about the philosophy of "Gnosticism". I was using the adjective "gnostic". And I know what it means, thank you. Yes, you can be both "gnostic" and an atheist. In fact, it's a commonly used term meant to distinguish an atheist who claims there is no god from those who do not. Well, it's a common term to those who read worthwhile literature and journalism, but maybe not to those who spend their time researching magical nonsense, like advanced ancient civilizations and spiritual hooha....like you.

Last edited:

Of course you are right.

Glad you moved on..

Why would God order the destruction of everything, including women and children? I think its a fair question. I never met a preacher, priest, or rabbi who ever claimed to know why.

One can speculate. .. Mental aberrations? Inbreeding? Too much denisovan dna? To end their violent reign of terror? To bring peace to the land? Who can say?

I certainly can understand why one tribe of people would seek to utterly destroy another. Isis comes to mind.

BTW, Do you think there were any women and children in Hiroshima? Cattle? Donkeys? household pets?

"Why would God order the destruction of everything, including women and children? I think its a fair question. I never met a preacher, priest, or rabbi who ever claimed to know why."

Uh, yes you have. For instance, concerning the great flood, you've never met a priest or rabbi who DIDN'T claim to know why, because it literally says why in the Bible:

And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man ... . And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.” Gen. 6:1-7

Last edited:

"Gnostic atheist" is not an oxymoron. And one can be an atheist without being certain there is no god, or even adopting a belief that there is no god. You are 100% wrong.

I wasn't speaking about the philosophy of "Gnosticism". I was using the adjective "gnostic". And I know what it means, thank you. Yes, you can be both "gnostic" and an atheist. In fact, it's a commonly used term meant to distinguish an atheist who claims there is no god from those who do not. Well, it's a common term to those who read worthwhile literature and journalism, but maybe not to those who spend their time researching magical nonsense, like advanced ancient civilizations and spiritual hooha....like you.
fucking idiot.

fucking idiot.

So, let's continue, while you breathe into your paper bag:

A "gnostic atheist" claims to know, with certainty, that there are no gods. An "agnostic atheist" claims not to know if there are or aren't gods. An "agnostic atheist" (as all agnostics are, else they would be theists) will claim that it could never be truthfully said with 100% certainty that there are no gods. A "gnostic atheist" does claim to have knowledge of the spiritual or mystical, to wit: that there are no gods. Furthermore, gnostic atheists can be very spiritual indeed! (See: many Taoists.)

Also, "gnostic atheism" is an unsupportable position, amounting to type of faith of its own. However, deciding to live under the assumption that there are no gods is not "gnostic atheism", but simply a determination of best practices, in the atheist's perception.

Last edited:

Of course you are right.

Glad you moved on..

"Why would God order the destruction of everything, including women and children? I think its a fair question. I never met a preacher, priest, or rabbi who ever claimed to know why."

Uh, yes you have. For instance, concerning the great flood, you've never met a priest or rabbi who DIDN'T claim to know why, because it literally says why in the Bible:

And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man ... . And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.” Gen. 6:1-7

Different story.

Thats like saying the big bad wolf ate the three pigs because he ate red riding hoods grandma.

Anyway. I would tend to agree with the general theme.

People who think nothing but evil and do nothing but destroy end up destroyed..

What goes around comes around for good or evil... Thats life.

I don't have a problem with that. Does that make you angry?

I do understand why you and some people rebel against the idea of a holy God when they realize that they are the subjects of refrain and condemnation in the divine menu.

Thou shalt not eat the flesh of swine that do not ruminate, teeming vermin who go down on all fours, brown nosed dorks, and all that....

The good news is that even if you wake up one day, look in the mirror, and see that you have the form and shape of a jackass you will still have an opportunity evolve into a new creature, one with a little class and respect..

However, I have to admit, at this point things don't look very promising for you.

You seem to lack the honesty and humility foundational to a more advanced form of life..

Last edited:
FunBaggz, I am truly sorry your atrophied brain can't comprehend basic English. No one can possibly know anything with 100% absolute certainty. We don't even know if REALITY is 100% certain to exist. Much less, what happens after we die. All we have is faith.

In a sense, you could arguably say, we are all agnostics. Even someone like Billy Graham doesn't know with 100% certainty that God exists. He believes it, he may even claim certainty, but he cannot know until he dies.

There is no such thing as "gnostic atheism". It's a contradiction of terms. If someone THINKS this is what they are, they are conflicted individuals or mentally retarded. I think you're a little of both. Someone probably filled your head full of this nonsense and since you're mentally challenged, you lapped it up like a puppy to milk.

As I pointed out before, this is a psychological ploy by so-called Atheists in an attempt to rationalize what they claim to believe and reconcile it with what they actually believe. As a human being, you are compelled to believe in some power greater than self. You can't help that, it's hard wired into your psyche. IF humans didn't have this, we'd be no different than the monkeys and apes. But it's a problematic annoyance to turd heads who want so desperately to reject their own spirituality. So they create these linguistic gymnastics and mental acrobatics to explain themselves. Through this, you can be an agnostic-atheist or an atheist-agnostic... a gnostic-atheist or theist-agnostic.

FunBaggz, I am truly sorry your atrophied brain can't comprehend basic English. No one can possibly know anything with 100% absolute certainty. We don't even know if REALITY is 100% certain to exist. Much less, what happens after we die. All we have is faith.

In a sense, you could arguably say, we are all agnostics. Even someone like Billy Graham doesn't know with 100% certainty that God exists. He believes it, he may even claim certainty, but he cannot know until he dies.

There is no such thing as "gnostic atheism". It's a contradiction of terms. If someone THINKS this is what they are, they are conflicted individuals or mentally retarded. I think you're a little of both. Someone probably filled your head full of this nonsense and since you're mentally challenged, you lapped it up like a puppy to milk.

As I pointed out before, this is a psychological ploy by so-called Atheists in an attempt to rationalize what they claim to believe and reconcile it with what they actually believe. As a human being, you are compelled to believe in some power greater than self. You can't help that, it's hard wired into your psyche. IF humans didn't have this, we'd be no different than the monkeys and apes. But it's a problematic annoyance to turd heads who want so desperately to reject their own spirituality. So they create these linguistic gymnastics and mental acrobatics to explain themselves. Through this, you can be an agnostic-atheist or an atheist-agnostic... a gnostic-atheist or theist-agnostic.
No one can possibly know anything with 100% absolute certainty.

Even someone like Billy Graham doesn't know with 100% certainty that God exists. He believes it, he may even claim certainty, but he cannot know until he dies.

the above two quotes are not relative between their subject matter, something the op can not distinguish and the reason for their mental dementia ...

the genome of life is 100% knowable as the outcome is recordable in perception and physically demonstrated. the knowledge becomes irrefutable in the manner of Columbus that crossed the void and discovered his truth of land beyond the sea the same as spirituality will discover its origin that created it.

As a human being, you are compelled to believe in some power greater than self. You can't help that, it's hard wired into your psyche. IF humans didn't have this, we'd be no different than the monkeys and apes.

someone so pathetic proves the origin of the desert religions, thankfully there are inspired beings that do find actual truths.

Of course you are right.

Glad you moved on..

Different story.

Thats like saying the big bad wolf ate the three pigs because he ate red riding hoods grandma.

Anyway. I would tend to agree with the general theme.

People who think nothing but evil and do nothing but destroy end up destroyed..

What goes around comes around for good or evil... Thats life.

I don't have a problem with that. Does that make you angry?

I do understand why you and some people rebel against the idea of a holy God when they realize that they are the subjects of refrain and condemnation in the divine menu.

Thou shalt not eat the flesh of swine that do not ruminate, teeming vermin who go down on all fours, brown nosed dorks, and all that....

The good news is that even if you wake up one day, look in the mirror, and see that you have the form and shape of a jackass you will still have an opportunity evolve into a new creature, one with a little class and respect..

However, I have to admit, at this point things don't look very promising for you.

You seem to lack the honesty and humility foundational to a more advanced form of life..

No, not a different story. In fact, the post to which you replied SPECIFICALLY mentioned that story, which is why i used it as an example. Here, read slowly this time:

Him: "IF Christians tell me that the Bible is the word of God- that everything in the Bible is divinely inspired and true- and if that is the case- then that God knowingly murdered millions of children in the Flood. That God specifically ordered his chosen people to massacre children in sacked cities."

Your response: "Why would God order the destruction of everything, including women and children? I think its a fair question. I never met a preacher, priest, or rabbi who ever claimed to know why."

So, what you said was not accurate, for exactly the reason I pointed out. Yes, you have met priests and rabbis that claim to know why god destroyed women and children, for instance.

Last edited:

"No one can possibly know anything with 100% absolute certainty

I tend to agree, but it doesn't stop people from claiming they do. As people often do, when they claim to know there is or isn't a God. So, go whine to them.

I also tend to agree that humans are hardwired to believe utter nonsense. However, we have an intellect that allows us to not always be slaves to our chemistry. For instance, we can develop impulse control. We can resist the urge to violence. We can overcome the fear of heights, and the tendency to be scared to stay underwater, because we have breathing aids. Being hardwired to believe hilarious bullshit does not therefore mean we are sentenced to a lifetime of doing so.

Last edited:
And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.”

the above is a forgery, replete with all three desert religions - they need all to be done as the Almighty has theirself to them and would expect for anyone the same to achieve remission to the Everlasting.

* burn those books.

'For Derrida life is essentially mortal, which means that there can be no instance (such as God in Marion's account) that is immortal. Even the supposedly divine declaration "I am that I am" is in Derrida's reading "the confession of a mortal," since "I am originally means I am mortal." Proceeding from Derrida's premise, we can pursue a reading of the death of God that goes the opposite direction from Marion. If to be alive is to be mortal, it follows that to not be mortal -- to be immortal -- is to be dead. If one cannot die, one is dead. Hence, Derrida does not limit himself to the atheist claim that God is dead; he repeatedly makes the radically atheist claim that (God is death [italics]). That God is death does not mean that we reach God through death or that God rules over death. On the contrary, it means that the idea of immortality -- which according to Marion is the idea that we cannot not form of a "god" -- is inseparable from the idea of absolute death.'
(Haegglund, op cit p.8)

Forum List

Back