Two-party system is corrupt? yes or no?

Ron Paul had Party Rules used against him. So what? It is fair to use the rules. Just like Obama beat Hillary in the DNC primaries contest, by using the rules in committee battles

Actually that would be the opposite of what happened.

Actually the rules were used to manipulate the rules. You just don't like the end result. If it had been the other way around, you'd have no problem.

It's politics. It is a game. It has a set of rules that are malleable. All is fair in love, war, and politics.

now go get some cheese to go with your whine

Actually, you have just proven why there is corruption in politics and why it's allowed to continue, despite people protesting it. You call it a game and all's fair in love and war, so to speak, as if that excuses the behavior of politicians. You're far from the only one who thinks this way, but that's exactly the kind of nutty thinking that leads to corruption within the system...and over time it only gets worse. Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution.....which is it? :cool:

It is definitely a corruption of the original concepts of the nation. The two parties have divided things among themselves to the exclusion not only of other parties, but of the people.

The two party dictatorship should be ended.

It is definitely a corruption of the original concepts of the nation. The two parties have divided things among themselves to the exclusion not only of other parties, but of the people.

The two party dictatorship should be ended.

reminds me of monopolies or of banks that are 'too big to fail'. They need to be broken-up. They have too much influence over the gov't.

Maybe its better to ask what would have to change for us to have more parties with influence. I actually don't know. I can't see a situation where it happens. I can see a party going away but only to be replaced and to stay with a "2 party" system. No one wants a one party system because then they would have to take the blame too.

the way it is now is that anyone who threatens their dominance of the system is shut-out. Parties are not even in the Constitution.

Just remember, political parties were not favored by the Founders. In fact, several stated the federation would become tainted if and when they arose to strangle the agenda.

I would like to see far more parties participating - but it won't happen unless THE PEOPLE force them to be included in ballots.

It's painfully obvious that neither party cares about solving problems but rather only about winning elections.

How many times do we have to play the part of that idiot Charlie Brown before we learn that.

We need to rewrite the script for Chuck.

[youtube]ZU3SvWmAhCo[/youtube]

[youtube]

The parties of today are beholden to_________.

Fill in the blank or blanks. The answers might give insight into where the focus might have to be to begin tackling this very complex and convoluted problem.

Lobbyists

I believe the political process has been corrupted, but the system we have is fine.

Seems so.

How do we get rid of the corrupt while keeping the system?

Corruption will always be. It comes in with the human factor. When we embrace principles and theories that leave out the human element, we get what we have.

First amendment rulings will stand against any laws I've seen proposed. It is my opinion only very narrow and specific campaign finance laws with larger limits will do - like the Citizens United lawyer wants.

Dante has come into the Citizens United camp. An amendment to the Constitution could change things, but that would most likely never come about

Fill in the blank or blanks. The answers might give insight into where the focus might have to be to begin tackling this very complex and convoluted problem.

Lobbyists

constituents, contributers, and party. Some times all there are one and the same.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -
H. L. Mencken

NO, it's not the party system, but how we finance elections. Go to public funding and: our representitives wouldn't feel the need to sell their vote to the highest bidder, parties would become less important because candidates wouldn't need them to attract funds, lobbyists would spend their time making their case instead of writing checks AND our representitives might actually have the time to read a few bills instead of going to fundraiser after fund raiser.

I do not like Ron Paul or his creepy little spawn. That said, Ron Paul was grievously robbed during the primaries. Paul wasn't the only candidate to have a state's primary stolen from him, either. I am appalled at the way the primaries were run.

We need to stop bitching on messageboards and force elections officials to level the playing field for ALL candidates, at ALL levels of government.

There's a national, multi-partisan campaign going on to get the money out of elections, you can check it out here (it's a really cheesy page, but please look it over):

United Republic | Founder - Co-sponsor

I was with ya Granny -- til you blamed it on "the money".. No ones buying votes. They are wasting TV Ad time on Big Bird and lies. It's about principles and issues. And NONE of that money influences either. You could take ALL the money out of elections and STILL influence would be attempted to be bought for the other 3.5 years of the cycle. Fixes NOTHING.. Especially not letting the INCUMBENTS decide how much public money they get and the rules..

Money doesn't get you on the Today Show. Doesn't get the press to follow your campaign. MESSAGE and popularity gets you attention from the press. That coverage itself is now biased and largely useless. They are more interested in POLLS than issues..

ANY candidate that has jumped the hurdles of getting a name on enough state ballots SHOULD be in the debates. Make them 4 hours long.. Shut the press out and choose moderators from different areas of expertise.

Lobbyists

And why do you NEED lobbyists? Because they are slinging TONS of candy out of DC for the taking. That -- and your competitor is helping to write legislation that will kill your company..

Take the POWER AWAY to give subsidies, loans, and grants and watch how fast the lobbying dries up..

It's hard to figure. I joined the TEA party because they opposed the Wallstreet Bail-Out & Single Payer Healthcare. Then suddenly they jumped on Wallstreets side with don't raise taxes on the Rich & don't close tax loopholes & don't increase revenue, don't regulate Wallstreet or the Too Big To Fail Banks. They also went to far in opposing any of the good parts of the healthcare bill & refused to compromise. I kind of like this new ACA Healthcare Law. People really do have a choice with this law.

Occupy Wallstreet is sort of on the right track but they get to far gone on other crazy stuff.

I will remain a swing voter. I pick & choose each candidate regardless of party. Being a lockstep ideologue is not getting us anywhere. If Occupy Wallstreet put up a good candidate, I would vote for them.

Last edited:
NO, it's not the party system, but how we finance elections. Go to public funding and: our Representatives wouldn't feel the need to sell their vote to the highest bidder, parties would become less important because candidates wouldn't need them to attract funds, lobbyists would spend their time making their case instead of writing checks AND our Representatives might actually have the time to read a few bills instead of going to fundraiser after fund raiser.

I heard several ex-elected officials claim that our elected representatives spend more time raising funds than actually doing the people's business. I strongly believe this to be true.
Problem is that we have too many people so enthralled with one or the other ideology for what reason, I don't understand. The media and ideological talking heads don't help the situation at all. Their job is to sell the public on one ideology or the other. Now go read just about any thread. What you find are posters repeating the sales pitch (talking points) over and over and over again.
Now that is sad.
Think for yourself.

Last edited:
Our system is corrupt and always has been.

Man is corrupt and always has been.

The Rule of Law mitigates the Corruption of Man, don't you get it?

Forum List

Back