Two-party system is corrupt? yes or no?

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
rw's running @ saying the country is finished are unfounded. The two-party system is corrupt no matter who is elected. The two party's also have a stranglehold on the debating process. Some libertarians here see this. So if Romney were elected we'd still be stuck w/ the corrupt two-party system. I voted for the lesser of two evils this time but if the toxic influence of secret $ in campaigns isn't addressed before the next election, I prolly won't vote anymore in national elections.

What say you?

Keep in mind this is the CDZ so supporting links are not a courtesy but rather a necessity & don't just throw expletives around either :)

Yes.....the corruption should be obvious, on both sides. Neither party actually works for The People....they work for themselves and their lobbyists/unions/etc...who bankroll their campaigns. What we need is to break up the two party system and start voting in people who are not aligned with any party, but rather aligned with The People. Also, term limits for Congress should be a must.....there's no reason why someone should be allowed to stay in office for 20+ years. That, in and of itself, creates and maintains corruption, not to mention keeps us stuck in policies of the past that are no longer relevant to the present and future.

The two parties have a stranglehold on the direction of the nation, the viability of opposing voices, and basic government function.

The last 15 years have shown us, there is less and less difference in how someone with a D votes and governs, vs someone with an R.

IMO, it's not the two party system, but how we fund elections. If we went to public financing, the Big Two would wither away and other voices would be heard. That's why I'm always amazed that libertarians don't approve. Public funding doesn't mean government control.

they say they work for us but behind the scenes they work for their biggest donors.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZbC_IqWEJY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZbC_IqWEJY[/ame]

Last edited:
IMO, it's not the two party system, but how we fund elections. If we went to public financing, the Big Two would wither away and other voices would be heard. That's why I'm always amazed that libertarians don't approve. Public funding doesn't mean government control.

Who controls the government? Republicans and Democrats. They don't give alternative voices a chance now, so why would they if there were public funding? Regardless, it's more about the idea that we don't want taxpayers looted to fund candidates they don't like. Nor should we limit what people can do with their own money. That's why libertarians don't approve.

I think most people here will agree with you. The two parties have some differences on social issues but on the big money issues we essentially have a 1 party system.

I think most people here will agree with you. The two parties have some differences on social issues but on the big money issues we essentially have a 1 party system.

they just take turns sitting-it-out of one branch until its their turn again w/ all the perq's.

I do not like Ron Paul or his creepy little spawn. That said, Ron Paul was grievously robbed during the primaries. Paul wasn't the only candidate to have a state's primary stolen from him, either. I am appalled at the way the primaries were run.

We need to stop bitching on messageboards and force elections officials to level the playing field for ALL candidates, at ALL levels of government.

There's a national, multi-partisan campaign going on to get the money out of elections, you can check it out here (it's a really cheesy page, but please look it over):

http://act.unitedrepublic.org/event/cosponsor/1008/?t=1&akid=212.221567.DgZrtf

Last edited:
rw's running @ saying the country is finished are unfounded. The two-party system is corrupt no matter who is elected. The two party's also have a stranglehold on the debating process. Some libertarians here see this. So if Romney were elected we'd still be stuck w/ the corrupt two-party system. I voted for the lesser of two evils this time but if the toxic influence of secret $ in campaigns isn't addressed before the next election, I prolly won't vote anymore in national elections.

What say you?

Keep in mind this is the CDZ so supporting links are not a courtesy but rather a necessity & don't just throw expletives around either :)

Clearly

What say you?

Clearly

How "clear" is it?

Citizen's United, something you folks supported, "clearly" leads the way in corrupting our politics.

What say you?

Clearly

How "clear" is it?

Citizen's United, something you folks supported, "clearly" leads the way in corrupting our politics.

Obama was elected in 2008 by walking away for public financing of campaign reform.

Obama won in 2012 thanks in part to Citizens United

ssohtheirony.png

I do not like Ron Paul or his creepy little spawn. That said, Ron Paul was grievously robbed during the primaries. Paul wasn't the only candidate to have a state's primary stolen from him, either. I am appalled at the way the primaries were run.

We need to stop bitching on messageboards and force elections officials to level the playing field for ALL candidates, at ALL levels of government.

There's a national, multi-partisan campaign going on to get the money out of elections, you can check it out here (it's a really cheesy page, but please look it over):

United Republic | Founder - Co-sponsor

Ron Paul had Party Rules used against him. So what? It is fair to use the rules. Just like Obama beat Hillary in the DNC primaries contest, by using the rules in committee battles

Ron Paul had Party Rules used against him. So what? It is fair to use the rules. Just like Obama beat Hillary in the DNC primaries contest, by using the rules in committee battles

Actually that would be the opposite of what happened.

Actually that would be the opposite of what happened.

Actually the rules were used to manipulate the rules. You just don't like the end result. If it had been the other way around, you'd have no problem.

It's politics. It is a game. It has a set of rules that are malleable. All is fair in love, war, and politics.

now go get some cheese to go with your whine

What say you?

I believe the political process has been corrupted, but the system we have is fine.

Obama was elected in 2008 by walking away for public financing of campaign reform.

Obama won in 2012 thanks in part to Citizens United

ssohtheirony.png

Money in politics is protected under the First Amendment. Any laws crafted will butt up against that fact. I doubt any of the imbeciles in this movement could write a law to keep themselves out of the looney bin, let alone address the first amendment and the political process.

Only an amendment to the US Constitution, crafted correctly, can address the corrupting influence of big money in the political process.

The two party system is definitely corrupt and in desperate need of change. It is far too hard for other third parties and candidates to even get noticed on a national scale let alone challenge republicans and democrats for offices like president. This past election was another big example of that since great candidates like Dr. Jill Stein were all but ignored during the debates and the news cycle.

The League of Women Voters stepped away from sponsoring the debates because the parties wanted waaay too much control over the process

Forum List

Back