Two Lesbians Raised a Son ...

I am an Evangelical Christian Conservative, registered Republican, and member of the local Tea Party. In Oklahoma, it is against the state constitution for members of the same sex to marry, and quite frankly I believe that it should remain so. I worked very hard with people across the state to place that on the ballot and it won with a huge margin. I believe that like abortion, the issue is within the perview of the state.

Having said that, I also believe that what goes on in one's own house is that person's business. I believe that this young man is very impressive and his parents should be very proud of him.

Can this one young man, as spectacular as he is be used to equalize the parenting abilities of same sex couples. He might have very nice things to say about himself but how does he interact with his peers. What does his girlfriend have to say, the buds he has a drink with after school?

I would make book that there is a man in this young man's life. A grandfather, uncle some male role model figure. Most of the adults raised in same sex households that I have known, which are many, have the same kinds of dysfunctions as kids raised in any single sex household, by a single parent. Children raised in same sex households whether two parents of the same sex or single parent households suffer most from interpersonal relationships. If the parent or parents are wise, they will make up for this deficit by assuring appropriate contact with adults of the child's gender.

I am an Evangelical Christian Conservative, registered Republican, and member of the local Tea Party. In Oklahoma, it is against the state constitution for members of the same sex to marry, and quite frankly I believe that it should remain so. I worked very hard with people across the state to place that on the ballot and it won with a huge margin. I believe that like abortion, the issue is within the perview of the state.

Having said that, I also believe that what goes on in one's own house is that person's business. I believe that this young man is very impressive and his parents should be very proud of him.

You believe that what goes on in a person's home - and presumably their personal lives - is that person's business, yet you support a ban on gay marriage? Surely you can see the hypocrisy in your own statement?

You believe that what goes on in a person's home - and presumably their personal lives - is that person's business, yet you support a ban on gay marriage? Surely you can see the hypocrisy in your own statement?

I don't. Sex is not the same thing as Marriage. And I repeat, if the criteria for marriage is simply 2 consenting adults then why can't siblings marry each other or family members marry each other?

I don't. Sex is not the same thing as Marriage. And I repeat, if the criteria for marriage is simply 2 consenting adults then why can't siblings marry each other or family members marry each other?

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. That's the same argument that another conservative made - except he said something about marrying a horse or something.

If two people of the same sex marry each other it doesn't mean that brothers and sisters, or people and horses will make a run for the altar. It's a weak argument. Period.

And it is a completely hypocritical stance to say that you believe what goes on in a person's home is their business while simultaneously saying that that same person shouldn't be allowed to marry a person of the same sex.

I't heartening to see that most responses to the OP have been neutral to positive. Only one negative post.

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. That's the same argument that another conservative made - except he said something about marrying a horse or something.

If two people of the same sex marry each other it doesn't mean that brothers and sisters, or people and horses will make a run for the altar. It's a weak argument. Period.

And it is a completely hypocritical stance to say that you believe what goes on in a person's home is their business while simultaneously saying that that same person shouldn't be allowed to marry a person of the same sex.

I REPEAT, if the criteria for marriage is simply the requirement it be two consenting adults then why can't family members that are adults marry each other? And I never said it would become a problem. And yes it is a valid comparison. You just don't like it because it involves incest.

I REPEAT, if the criteria for marriage is simply the requirement it be two consenting adults then why can't family members that are adults marry each other? And I never said it would become a problem. And yes it is a valid comparison. You just don't like it because it involves incest.

I'm sure some law could be crafted that wouldn't allow blood relatives to marry each other. Perhaps on the basis that incest can produce deformities, which could be considered child endangerment or something like that. :dunno: I'm no expert; just a thought. Either way, it's not a valid reason to keep gay people from marrying each other. There IS no valid reason.

Last edited:

I'm sure some law could be crafted that wouldn't allow blood relatives to marry each other. Perhaps on the basis that incest can produce deformities, which could be considered child endangerment or something like that. :dunno: I'm no expert; just a thought.

Doesn't work. People with known conditions are not prevented from marrying others with same condition. And further the chance of defects in a 1st Generation are almost nil.

Forum List

Back