Two cats at the back door

but what can i do?

what are my options?

we can NOT take them in....i can not have them euthanized....i don't even think i can have either of my cats euthanized, even if on their death bed....:(

it's just not in me, to be able to do that.....

This is what husbands are for.........:(

Where are you generally?

I have a friend who loves cats, outside. She lets them hang around, takes them to the vet, and feeds them, but keeps them on her farm. On the other hand, if you are not to far away from some other friends, I might be able to find someone to take them off your deck. If not, you can gather them up and take them to the SPCA yourself.

Hug them, love them, feed them. Do you have a garage to let them into so they can stay warm in the storm? You may have two new family members. :) Hugs

Hug them, love them, feed them. Do you have a garage to let them into so they can stay warm in the storm? You may have two new family members. :) Hugs

i can't have 4 cats....i can't handle the 2 we have.....1 is enough, 2 is more than enough!

i can't have 4 cats....i can't handle the 2 we have.....1 is enough, 2 is more than enough!
crazycatlady.jpg

Where are you generally?

I have a friend who loves cats, outside. She lets them hang around, takes them to the vet, and feeds them, but keeps them on her farm. On the other hand, if you are not to far away from some other friends, I might be able to find someone to take them off your deck. If not, you can gather them up and take them to the SPCA yourself.

i am in Maine, the Downeast region, above Mid Coast....first in the USA to see Sunrise!

no pet can survive the winters outside here, and we got some doozy of a cold front that is suppose to hit us come friday/saturday.

no, we have a cape cod cottage here, there is no garage, and no basement, just a crawl space.

I did some searching of lost and found ads and saw nothing....no one looking for these 2 cats.

I called my vet, the only one in the local region and he had no calls of an owner searching for them.

I did a search on NO KILL animal shelters and there is one about 45 miles from here. I am going to call them tomorrow to see if they can take them in, there is also an SPCA shelter in a bigger town that is about 20 miles from me, but there is not a ''no kill'' guarantee there, that i am aware of....

tonight i caved, about 9:30 pm, and once we made the decision that we would hall them to a shelter, i took a big bowl of dry food out there....this was my first contact with them outside, (matt's been shooing them away), the cats near knocked me over to get to the food....they were absolutely starving to death, they were swallowing the dry food whole.....they were pushing eachother out of the way...then they licked the bowl clean, and ate what had gotten pushed out on to the ground...

i have never, ever, ever seen such a sad thing...

the stray that found us last year, that wormed her way in, was afraid to get too close to us at first and gingerly ate the dry food, and would leave some in the bowl...we know NOW why, and that's cuz she is a great hunter and loves rabbits, she's killed 5 plus that we have found, at least 10 moles left at the back door, 5 chipmunks bit the dust as well, the Lord only knows how many field mice, and 2 wood peckers.....she's a killer, a very good hunter and here in the Maine Woods, spring, summer and fall there is plenty to eat....

These cats SHOULD NOT have been as hungry as they were IF they were outdoor cats, true strays...

it was pitiful, disheartening, downright sad to see how hungry they were, the immediate recognition of dry food.....no fear of me, not one bit....which leads me to believe, they were house cats, at one time.....and their hunting skills are nil, compared to my stray.....

makes me sick that i had not fed them sooner....:( i was just hoping they would leave....

the no kill shelter, THE ARK read as a cool place, they have 85 acres, seem to love their animals there, even keep pets for decades if need be, have named them all....describe each pet's personality with pictures to find new owners.

Big hugs. Im glad you feed them. Did you give them fresh water too? It sounds to me like these poor kitties have been abandoned :(

I think cats know who are the soft touches :)

yes, i gave them water as well...they were not that interested in it, but it's been raining out so plenty of water on the tarp covering the cords of firewood we just had delivered....it is also where they have been sleeping, under the tarp, sometimes under our deck.

yes, it appears that someone just dumped them, or they are just 2 kitties that left home on an adventure!

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I don't know anyone in Maine, so cannot call on any friends to help. I hope the shelter will take them.

I've made cat houses out of styrofoam shipping boxes and put them outside for any strays that need shelter. The boxes are small enough to be warmed by the cats own body temperatures. I usually weight them down and make sure that the openings are cut about 5 inches off the ground and positioned so that the wind doesn't blow directly in. Of course, it never gets that cold for long here. Good luck. I hope the kitties find homes.

Daisy says, sucker! I'm rubbing her chin with one hand while I type with the other. She knows what she's meowing about.

What a story... maaaan... and look at those guys. What a couple a cute fellas. I have a cat that's pushing twenty. I know how much fun they can be and what kind of characters they can be. I don't want another one after mine passes away, so I tell ya Care, I'd be in a real fix if I was you too. Two good looking little guys like that show up at my back door and won't leave, and you know if you just ignore them they'll probably die, but if you feed them they'll surely not leave... tough spot to be in for sure. But, I'm so glad you're the type of person that's doing what you can to insure they'll survive. Takes a certain kind of person to do that. A kind person, with a big heart. I think they got lost, and smelled your cats and figured if it was ok for other cats, it would be ok for them too. Cats can smell like a blood hound. In any case, I'll be interested to hear the end of this story.

PICTURES OF THEM:

(yes, i KNOW my deck needs restaining)

PA255618.JPG

PA255619.JPG

PA255623.JPG

Care, your a softie. They know it, we know it, and you know it. Bring them inside already they want to love you :)

I don't think its two kitties out for and adventure, i think some dumped them .:(

Last edited:
but what can i do?

what are my options?

we can NOT take them in....i can not have them euthanized....i don't even think i can have either of my cats euthanized, even if on their death bed....:(

it's just not in me, to be able to do that.....

Let them know in no uncertain terms that inside is off limits.
If you want let them live outside they will survive if they have food and water.

Forum List

Back