Two cats at the back door

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
HELP! what can I do?

background

we have a cat, she's 13 now...

last year, a stray kitten found us and wormed her way in to our home/family.

our cat hated her....just total hatred for this new stray...

update:

a year and 3 months later, my old cat has finally accepted the new cat, and all the hissing and swatting crap has ended.

they 'tolerate' eachother

ok, the here and now:

2 cats are at my back door...they are well groomed, one is bigger than the other, but they either come from the same litter or one is the mom, the other a yearling? They have the same markings, i think they are related somehow?

they are throwing their bodies against our storm door and reaching up , trying to come in...when we shut the door, they jumped on the window sil and sat there and watched me while meowing...(scared me to death, when i first saw them in the window!

it has been 3 days now. The hubby has shooed them away countless times....my cats are making noises i never knew existed and throwing their bodies against the glass door to get to them....my elder cat, and the stray that found us, are actually ON THE SAME SIDE....wonders never cease!

it's been warm and rainy....they are sheltering themselves under the tarp we put over the 2 cords of firewood we had delivered.

What can we do?

friday a cold cold cold front is coming in.

we can NOT take in these cats....

I think they are someone elses cats just lost...they were too groomed and too healthy looking to be just strays, (my stray was skin and bones, when she found us)

BUT what if THEY ARE someone elses cats and just lost? IF my cats were lost and a freeze coming, i would HOPE that someone else would take them in, so they would not freeze to death....die.... :(

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO....

what can i do?

i've never seen the cats before....

we only have about 10 people living off of a 3 mile long road....i do not think these are cats from one of the neighbors on my street...?

we don't have a local paper that i could run an ad in, about lost cats...

if i bring them to a shelter, they could be euthanized?

PLEASE HELP!

PICTURES OF THEM:

(yes, i KNOW my deck needs restaining)

PA255618.JPG

PA255619.JPG

PA255623.JPG

but what can i do?

what are my options?

we can NOT take them in....i can not have them euthanized....i don't even think i can have either of my cats euthanized, even if on their death bed....:(

it's just not in me, to be able to do that.....

i just have never seen or heard anything like this....i am trapped in my house, have to keep all the shades down, so they won't jump on the sills to look in....sheesh....they are persistent little devils...

i think i am going to call the town vet, to see if anyone called him about their missing cats?

my luck, some poor owner that can't afford them, just dropped them off here

Our local radio station actually has a pet rescue twice a day for free. Too bad you don't have that option. You don't DO anything. Cats are smart, they will figure it out in a few days.

Our local radio station actually has a pet rescue twice a day for free. Too bad you don't have that option. You don't DO anything. Cats are smart, they will figure it out in a few days.

so they will just move on down the road if we continue to do nothing?

Ask your neighbors if they lost their cats or know of someone who did.
Put up pictures of the cats in town with your contact info.
Contact local vets to see if anyone reported cats missing.
Check out your local craigslist. If the cats are lost someone may have put info there.
Put an ad on your local craigslist abou the cats. Provide pictures.
You can put an ad in the local paper about the found cats.
As a last resort you can purchase a humane trap and when caught, take them to the spca.
If you feed them, they will stay.

They are freaking cute. The stripey one is winking at you!

look for the owners then look for a no kill shelter....friends for life...something like that....they are house cats by the behavior of them.....cats sometimes pick people.....

good luck....i would just take them in....people dump animals around here a lot....be glad they are young and healthy....try to relocate them....you have friends right? try to keep them together.

Ask your neighbors if they lost their cats or know of someone who did.
Put up pictures of the cats in town with your contact info.
Contact local vets to see if anyone reported cats missing.
Check out your local craigslist. If the cats are lost someone may have put info there.
Put an ad on your local craigslist abou the cats. Provide pictures.
You can put an ad in the local paper about the found cats.
As a last resort you can purchase a humane trap and when caught, take them to the spca.
If you feed them, they will stay.

They are freaking cute. The stripey one is winking at you!

the local paper and spca is a city 30 miles from here...

there is one local vet....i will call him.

pics on a bulletin board at the one local grocery store is a good option...

i can check craigs list and post something there....

THANK YOU!

(They are both really cute)

look for the owners then look for a no kill shelter....friends for life...something like that....they are house cats by the behavior of them.....cats sometimes pick people.....

good luck....i would just take them in....people dump animals around here a lot....be glad they are young and healthy....try to relocate them....you have friends right? try to keep them together.

we are still newcombers here, just have a handful of friends...only one option with our friends....one couple has a barn, and have barn cats....they live in their barn all winter, eat the mice....but these 2 cats seem like house cats....they are begging to get in to our house!

thanks, on the info that there are 'no kill' shelters....i will look for that....

HOW ANYONE could just dump their cats is beyond comprehension!

Ever had a cat skeleton by your back door? Nope, they figure out a different plan. Even house cats are predators. They can sense weakness. Leave them alone.

They probably will but .. . . if they are someone's pet (sounds like they are house cats) it'd be nice to get them back home.

If your cats go out and got lost, you'd want someone to try and get them back home rather than just ignoring them so they'd go away. :)

Hey Care, may as well pick out some names for the keekats :lol:

I found a starving Siamese not too long ago. I wanted to make sure she did not die, and would find her a good home. Well she is not dead and now has a name :dunno:

Quickly go outside and check your mailbox. Some cat may have put an "X" on your mailbox which is what all stray cats look for. Basically they see the "X" and then know the person who lives there has a kind heart and will take in strays for life and treat them kindly. We used to have the problem of people dropping off strays here and I checked the mailbox over real well, found the "X" and removed it. Haven't had a stray here since then. It's at least worth going out an checking. Who knows? Maybe you have been labeled.

oh crap, i hear screaming cats out in the woods, cat fight... my stray is outside, she is probably duking it out with them... :eek:

Forum List

Back