Turning down the volume on TV commercials

how loud the commercials are NOW, is obscene.

i bought a tv that would moderate the volume just to deal with it, but the cable box....damn cable box, overrides it........

commercials can break your eardrums nowadays and NO, I SHOULD NOT have to keep remote in hand so i can raise and lower the volume every 7 minutes.

we, customers have complained...but no one is listening at Dish network or direct tv.... i pay for my service, they should not intrude on my peace while I am using something I PAID FOR....

nuff said.

Then you have the choice of muting the television, stop using their service, or try to convince others to stop using their service. I personally choose to mute the television when commercials come on.

But what if you are napping while watching? stupid blaring commercial comes on and wakes you up!!!!!

Reporting from Washington - Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-Menlo Park) wanted advertisers to hear her loud and clear. So she introduced the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation -- or CALM -- Act, aimed at lowering the volume on televised sales pitches.

"In my 17 years in the House of Representatives, I've never carried a bill which has been received with so much enthusiasm," Eshoo said. "Only the do-not-call list has even come close."

Turning down the volume on TV commercials -- latimes.com

Unconstitutional waste of time.

I love the idea.

Me too.

Nothing remotely unconsitutional about it, either.

Do you believe the framers of the Constitution put in the power to regulate the noise level of television commercials?

Quit deflecting.

How is this 'unconstitutional'?

The federal government is not given authority by the Constitution to regulate the level of commercials. And what does the 10th Amendment say about powers not delegated by the Constitution? That they're reserved to the people and the states.
If the people want it and their elected officials give it to them it most certainly is constitutional. Judging from the article and the response on this thread, the people DO want it.

And...it isn't violating anyone's civil rights.

Then you have the choice of muting the television, stop using their service, or try to convince others to stop using their service. I personally choose to mute the television when commercials come on.

EVERY 7 minutes, you expect me to lower the volume on my tv and then every 3 minutes after that you expect me, in my own house to then reraise the volume ?

I DON'T THINK SO.

i pay for this service.... NO WHERE did DISH say that by me buying their service gives them the right to BLAST ME OUT OF MY OWN HOME....

I should have the choice IN MY OWN HOME to set the volume on an acceptable level for ME.

i don't think congress should have to get involved.

BUT DISH AND DIRECT TV, have not listened to our complaints....there is no other tv service available to us to change to....

IT IS MY HOME...I CHOOSE THE VOLUME LEVEL, NOT those son of b's....I pay for this service, and THEY are disturbing the peace, in my home....

It's a real SHAME it has to come to this...I PAID EXTRA for a tv, that moderates the volume between commercials and the programs....DISH OVER RIDES IT, in my home....that's just BS kevin...

it'll take 2 seconds for congress to take care of this disturbing of the peace....it won't hurt their other concerns and duties, UNLESS ALL the people complaining about them getting involved, make it in to a long, dragged out political posturing thing....honestly!

care

Pressing the mute button is not as difficult as you make it out to be. It's not lowering and then re-raising the volume. You push the button once for silence, and then again for the volume to come back. Now like I said, you have a few options. If you don't like the mute option then you can cancel your service and try to convince others to do the same. If enough people cancel service over this then the companies will be forced to do something about it. However, you do not have the right to try and force anyone to change the volume of their commercials. You couldn't use violence to do so by yourself, and the government is not given authority by the Constitution to do so on your behalf.

PLEASE!

That is so ridiculous, that you have to pick up your remote and mute every 7 minutes then un-mute 3 minutes later! What you are asking me to do is unacceptable and it is also ridiculous that YOU EXPECT ME to do without ANY TELEVISION AT ALL....

there is no competition, and no one to change my service to, that does not BLARE commercials.

DISH and Direct tv BOTH do such...direct tv is even worse than Dish at my parents's house in florida.

WHERE in their 2 year signing contract with them for tv service do THEY DISCLOSE that they can and will raise and lower the volume of MY TV?

They DID NOT disclose this as part of MY CONTRACT.

I'm sorry, but THEY are IN THE WRONG, Not me.

And as others have said, what if your child is napping in the room but you still want to hear the news and you are also busy doing other work around the house...? I should NOT have to carry the remote around with me....THIS IS MY HOUSE, for goodness sakes!

Maybe you guys from mars that hold on to the remote like it is your privates, can handle this, but as a female, I do not hold on to the remote control every living second, and I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO......

It is just WRONG that the cable/satellite companies do this.....and someone needs to fix it or in the LEAST....they should LEGALLY DISCLOSE that they can and will CONTROL your tv and the peace in your house before you have to sign a contract with them...and they do NOT do such...

They ARE DISTURBING THE PEACE in my own home?

Care

EVERY 7 minutes, you expect me to lower the volume on my tv and then every 3 minutes after that you expect me, in my own house to then reraise the volume ?

I DON'T THINK SO.

i pay for this service.... NO WHERE did DISH say that by me buying their service gives them the right to BLAST ME OUT OF MY OWN HOME....

I should have the choice IN MY OWN HOME to set the volume on an acceptable level for ME.

BUT DISH AND DIRECT TV, have not listened to our complaints....there is no other tv service available to us to change to....

IT IS MY HOME...I CHOOSE THE VOLUME LEVEL, NOT those son of b's....I pay for this service, and THEY are disturbing the peace, in my home....

It's a real SHAME it has to come to this...I PAID EXTRA for a tv, that moderates the volume between commercials and the programs....DISH OVER RIDES IT, in my home....that's just BS kevin...

it'll take 2 seconds for congress to take care of this disturbing of the peace....it won't hurt their other concerns and duties, UNLESS ALL the people complaining about them getting involved, make it in to a long, dragged out political posturing thing....honestly!

care

Pressing the mute button is not as difficult as you make it out to be. It's not lowering and then re-raising the volume. You push the button once for silence, and then again for the volume to come back. Now like I said, you have a few options. If you don't like the mute option then you can cancel your service and try to convince others to do the same. If enough people cancel service over this then the companies will be forced to do something about it. However, you do not have the right to try and force anyone to change the volume of their commercials. You couldn't use violence to do so by yourself, and the government is not given authority by the Constitution to do so on your behalf.

PLEASE!

That is so ridiculous, that you have to pick up your remote and mute every 7 minutes then un-mute 3 minutes later! What you are asking me to do is unacceptable and it is also ridiculous that YOU EXPECT ME to do without ANY TELEVISION AT ALL....

there is no competition, and no one to change my service to, that does not BLARE commercials.

DISH and Direct tv BOTH do such...direct tv is even worse than Dish at my parents's house in florida.

WHERE in their 2 year signing contract with them for tv service do THEY DISCLOSE that they can and will raise and lower the volume of MY TV?

And as others have said, what if your child is napping in the room but you still want to hear the news and you are also busy doing other work around the house...? I should NOT have to carry the remote around with me....THIS IS MY HOUSE, for goodness sakes!

Maybe you guys from mars that hold on to the remote like it is your privates, can handle this, but as a female, I do not hold on to the remote control every living second, and I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO......

It is just WRONG that the cable/satellite companies do this.....and someone needs to fix it or in the LEAST....they should LEGALLY DISCLOSE that they can and will CONTROL your tv and the peace in your house before you have to sign a contract with them...and they do NOT do such...

Care

I agree and besides, I don't just sit on my ass watching tv, I get up and move around so by the time I hear the tv blasting, it's already annoyed other people in the house.

There has to be a standard set for how loud you can be selling your products.

Do you believe the framers of the Constitution put in the power to regulate the noise level of television commercials?

Quit deflecting.

The federal government is not given authority by the Constitution to regulate the level of commercials.
LOL

It is indeed constitutional for Congress to regulate the public airways.

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable.

Unless, of course, you know of some magic force field that prevents radio signals from crossing state lines...

Last edited:
Funny that Care keeps yelling in a thread about fuckers being too loud...

fix the standard of weights and measures;
Emma, you and the other idiots need to look this up. Fixing the weights danced measures means deciding by law what measurements are to be used- such as adption of the American Retarded System versus Metric or measuring sound in decibels. It also applies to units of currency.

☭proletarian☭;1857237 said:
Funny that Care keeps yelling in a thread about fuckers being too loud...

More as emphasis Prole, not as really shouting....

Happy New Year!

Care

Constitutional or not, I repeat my original objection,

☭proletarian☭;1853407 said:
Fuck border security! Who cares about the economy? Who needs a budget?

What's important is that some loudmouth keeps trying to sell me a slapchop...

Why don't you idiot crybabies learn to deal with it so we can focus on the important things instead of catering to whiny little bitches like you while our nation goes down the fucking toilet?

Priorities, people...

☭proletarian☭;1857266 said:
Constitutional or not, I repeat my original objection,

☭proletarian☭;1853407 said:
Fuck border security! Who cares about the economy? Who needs a budget?

What's important is that some loudmouth keeps trying to sell me a slapchop...

Why don't you idiot crybabies learn to deal with it so we can focus on the important things instead of catering to whiny little bitches like you while our nation goes down the fucking toilet?

Priorities, people...

2 shakes of a dead lamb's tail and this could be done by congress...to complain and cause this to become some political issue is what is taking the time away from Congress....surely YOU can see this.... They can multi task....

:lol:

KKen is really cracking me up with all this pseudo-intellectual unconstitutional schtick. :lol:

Perhaps he didn't do his homework so he doesn't know that the government already regulates the volume on television commercials, has for a long time. This bill is about re-writing the regulations.

Current regulation stipulates that the commercial can be as loud as the loudest part of the program on which the ad is placed. Even if say, that's a loud explosion. And so the ad makers have been exploiting this rule to make commercials ludicrously loud relative to the program you're watching. This bill seeks to remedy a poorly stated regulation. It's hardly precedent setting.

KKen is really cracking me up with all this pseudo-intellectual unconstitutional schtick. :lol:

Perhaps he didn't do his homework so he doesn't know that the government already regulates the volume on television commercials, has for a long time. This bill is about re-writing the regulations.

Current regulation stipulates that the commercial can be as loud as the loudest part of the program on which the ad is placed. Even if say, that's a loud explosion. And so the ad makers have been exploiting this rule to make commercials ludicrously loud relative to the program you're watching. This bill seeks to remedy a poorly stated regulation. It's hardly precedent setting.

But, butm but KK doen't recognize that treasonous document known as the US Constitution.

Don't you know the Articles of Confederation were usurped by those treasonous bastards like Washington, Hamilton, and Madison?

But, butm but KK doen't recognize that treasonous document known as the US Constitution.

Don't you know the Articles of Confederation were usurped by those treasonous bastards like Washington, Hamilton, and Madison?

:confused:

But I thought it's only treason if you lose? :cool:

Quit deflecting.

The federal government is not given authority by the Constitution to regulate the level of commercials. And what does the 10th Amendment say about powers not delegated by the Constitution? That they're reserved to the people and the states.
If the people want it and their elected officials give it to them it most certainly is constitutional. Judging from the article and the response on this thread, the people DO want it.

So you're saying that the federal government can do whatever it wants so long as the people want it? Then what's the purpose of the Constitution? The truth is that the Constitution doesn't change just because the people want it to, the Constitution only changes through the amendment process.

So you're saying that the federal government can do whatever it wants so long as the people want it? Then what's the purpose of the Constitution? The truth is that the Constitution doesn't change just because the people want it to, the Constitution only changes through the amendment process.
No, they cannot violate someone's civil rights. In this instance, no one's civil rights are being violated.

I DON'T THINK SO.

care

PLEASE!

Care

You don't have to hold onto the remote, you can set it down next to you. Chances are it's close anyways.

I don't expect you to do without any television, but let's not act like you have a fundamental right to watch television. You could go without television if it bothered you that much, the fact that you're not willing to do so says that it's not really that big of a deal. Commercials are air time that are purchased by companies to promote their product, and as such are their own private property for that period of time. You have no more right to dictate the level of those ads than you do to dictate what airs on your favorite network.

Quit deflecting.

The federal government is not given authority by the Constitution to regulate the level of commercials.
LOL

It is indeed constitutional for Congress to regulate the public airways.

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable.

Unless, of course, you know of some magic force field that prevents radio signals from crossing state lines...

Well for one, the FCC itself is unconstitutional itself. Secondly, to regulate interstate trade means to make regular. Which means the federal government is given the authority to stop the states from enacting protectionist policies against one another. That's all it means. Third, I'm not sure why people keep bringing up a section of the Constitution that is clearly referring to money and money alone. That's a huge stretch of constitutional interpretation.

Forum List

Back