Turning down the volume on TV commercials

So you believe the federal government is granted authority by the Constitution to regulate how loud a commercial on television is?

"To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;"

That would be in regard to money, not commercials.

It says "fix the standards of weights and measures" not "fix the standards of weights and measures for money".

Reporting from Washington - Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-Menlo Park) wanted advertisers to hear her loud and clear. So she introduced the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation -- or CALM -- Act, aimed at lowering the volume on televised sales pitches.

"In my 17 years in the House of Representatives, I've never carried a bill which has been received with so much enthusiasm," Eshoo said. "Only the do-not-call list has even come close."

Turning down the volume on TV commercials -- latimes.com

Unconstitutional waste of time.

Unconstitutional?

:lol:

Reporting from Washington - Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-Menlo Park) wanted advertisers to hear her loud and clear. So she introduced the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation -- or CALM -- Act, aimed at lowering the volume on televised sales pitches.

"In my 17 years in the House of Representatives, I've never carried a bill which has been received with so much enthusiasm," Eshoo said. "Only the do-not-call list has even come close."

Unconstitutional?

Do you believe the framers of the Constitution put in the power to regulate the noise level of television commercials?

I love the idea.

Me too. I would think this was really silly if commercial volume hasn't progressively gotten louder over the years. It's absurd.

So you believe the federal government is granted authority by the Constitution to regulate how loud a commercial on television is?

Yes of course, who else could do it?

Well whether or not they're the only ones who could do it is irrelevant to whether they're authorized by the Constitution, which they're not. The states could regulate the noise level of commercials individually, or we could realize that it's not important. If you don't want to hear the commercials you can mute your television. That's what I do.

Some people want the govt to do everything for them that way they don't have to think or do for themselves. Also why so many are clamoring for "free" healthcare. What a complete waste of taxpayer dollars to spend 1 minute of time on this bill. Nanny state govt at its finest.

how loud the commercials are NOW, is obscene.

i bought a tv that would moderate the volume just to deal with it, but the cable box....damn cable box, overrides it........

commercials can break your eardrums nowadays and NO, I SHOULD NOT have to keep remote in hand so i can raise and lower the volume every 7 minutes.

we, customers have complained...but no one is listening at Dish network or direct tv.... i pay for my service, they should not intrude on my peace while I am using something I PAID FOR....

nuff said.

Unconstitutional?

Do you believe the framers of the Constitution put in the power to regulate the noise level of television commercials?

Quit deflecting.

How is this 'unconstitutional'?

The federal government is not given authority by the Constitution to regulate the level of commercials. And what does the 10th Amendment say about powers not delegated by the Constitution? That they're reserved to the people and the states.

i bought a tv that would moderate the volume just to deal with it, but the cable box....damn cable box, overrides it........

commercials can break your eardrums nowadays and NO, I SHOULD NOT have to keep remote in hand so i can raise and lower the volume every 7 minutes.

we, customers have complained...but no one is listening at Dish network or direct tv.... i pay for my service, they should not intrude on my peace while I am using something I PAID FOR....

nuff said.

Then you have the choice of muting the television, stop using their service, or try to convince others to stop using their service. I personally choose to mute the television when commercials come on.

nuff said.

Then you have the choice of muting the television, stop using their service, or try to convince others to stop using their service. I personally choose to mute the television when commercials come on.

EVERY 7 minutes, you expect me to lower the volume on my tv and then every 3 minutes after that you expect me, in my own house to then reraise the volume ?

I DON'T THINK SO.

i pay for this service.... NO WHERE did DISH say that by me buying their service gives them the right to BLAST ME OUT OF MY OWN HOME....

I should have the choice IN MY OWN HOME to set the volume on an acceptable level for ME.

i don't think congress should have to get involved.

BUT DISH AND DIRECT TV, have not listened to our complaints....there is no other tv service available to us to change to....

IT IS MY HOME...I CHOOSE THE VOLUME LEVEL, NOT those son of b's....I pay for this service, and THEY are disturbing the peace, in my home....

It's a real SHAME it has to come to this...I PAID EXTRA for a tv, that moderates the volume between commercials and the programs....DISH OVER RIDES IT, in my home....that's just BS kevin...

it'll take 2 seconds for congress to take care of this disturbing of the peace....it won't hurt their other concerns and duties, UNLESS ALL the people complaining about them getting involved, make it in to a long, dragged out political posturing thing....honestly!

care

nuff said.

EVERY 7 minutes, you expect me to lower the volume on my tv and then every 3 minutes after that you expect me, in my own house to then reraise the volume ?

I DON'T THINK SO.

i pay for this service.... NO WHERE did DISH say that by me buying their service gives them the right to BLAST ME OUT OF MY OWN HOME....

I should have the choice IN MY OWN HOME to set the volume on an acceptable level for ME.

i don't think congress should have to get involved.

BUT DISH AND DIRECT TV, have not listened to our complaints....there is no other tv service available to us to change to....

IT IS MY HOME...I CHOOSE THE VOLUME LEVEL, NOT those son of b's....I pay for this service, and THEY are disturbing the peace, in my home....

It's a real SHAME it has to come to this...I PAID EXTRA for a tv, that moderates the volume between commercials and the programs....DISH OVER RIDES IT, in my home....that's just BS kevin...

it'll take 2 seconds for congress to take care of this disturbing of the peace....it won't hurt their other concerns and duties, UNLESS ALL the people complaining about them getting involved, make it in to a long, dragged out political posturing thing....honestly!

care

Pressing the mute button is not as difficult as you make it out to be. It's not lowering and then re-raising the volume. You push the button once for silence, and then again for the volume to come back. Now like I said, you have a few options. If you don't like the mute option then you can cancel your service and try to convince others to do the same. If enough people cancel service over this then the companies will be forced to do something about it. However, you do not have the right to try and force anyone to change the volume of their commercials. You couldn't use violence to do so by yourself, and the government is not given authority by the Constitution to do so on your behalf.

If they had had television(or radio) when the Constitution was written it would have stated "the right to listen to broadcasts without having to turn down the volume when the commercials come on"

Forum List

Back