Turning down the volume on TV commercials

Honestly, it is just BS, that they can control the volume that I have set, for inside my own home...and they ARE disturbing the peace, for me and my family....they should LISTEN to their customer's complaints...I have made many of them and so have my parents and so have my neighbors....

Is there ANY cable company or satellite tv company that DOES NOT do this in our entire country? What are our choices? NO TV at ALL or have them do this crap? Be glued to the tv with remote in hand so that you can mute it every 7 minutes when commercials come on?

What is the real purpose of their actions of raising the volume of ones own volume set in their own home? Are they really selling more products by increasing the volume? Or are they just annoying the heck out of their PAID customers and having many of them just hitting their MUTE, defeating their quest to MAKE us listen to their advertisers?

It makes no sense to argue against this imho....congress is probably doing them a favor by passing this law...

It makes perfect sense to argue against this. Any violation of the Constitution should be argued against.

As for any television service provider that doesn't have loud commercials, I have AT&T U-Verse and I've never felt that the commercials were overbearingly loud. Though, as I said, I usually mute them regardless.

☭proletarian☭;1858011 said:
☭proletarian☭;1857990 said:
They don't. The volume setting on yuor TV remains the same.

Please tell me I don't have to explain the science behind how two different sounds can be recorded at different volumes...
Please don't make me explain to you that if the volume gets louder they've increased the volume...

wow...

So anytime an explosion goes off in the movie you're watching on TV, you see green bars going across the screen and/or the knob turns?

Your TV's haunted, Ravi.

Go ask a soundtech about recording vs. playback volume.
:lol: So you're okay with Congress regulating the levels that boost the volume I take it.

They're not controlling your television, however. Your television's volume remains the same.
Same thing...if they are making their commercials louder than my settings they are controlling my television against my wishes.

No, it's not the same thing at all.
If you really believe that you need to change your thread title.

There is no civil right enjoyed by advertisers that allow them to make their commercials louder than the program being watched.

Same thing...if they are making their commercials louder than my settings they are controlling my television against my wishes.

There is no civil right enjoyed by advertisers that allow them to make their commercials louder than the program being watched.

There is the right to control your own property, and that's what this is an example of.

The thread title is the same as the title of the article, I didn't choose the title. It makes sense though. As Proletarian has pointed out, there is a difference between recorded volumes and playback volumes.

There is the right to control your own property, and that's what this is an example of.

The thread title is the same as the title of the article, I didn't choose the title. It makes sense though. As Proletarian has pointed out, there is a difference between recorded volumes and playback volumes.
MY right to control MY property (the television's loudness) is the only right in question here.

You do not enjoy a civil right that infringes on someone else's civil right. Therefore, MY property is off limits to the advertiser's control.

We had a tv that when commercials came on it automatically lowered the volume. I was an option in the settings menu. Can't remember what kind of tv but Tommy Smothers was in the ad for it. Loved that feature. They either got rid of that feature or the commercial people found a way to get around it. Commercials have always been louder; some now are uuuber loud. I don't give a shit the why of it, I just mute the thing or lower the volume . . . but mostly I just change the channel. I had one remote that had commercial skip . . . you set a timer for say 3 minutes on the channel you are watching then bop around and at the end of the 3 minutes the tv went back to your original channel. Yeah, that feature doesn't exist anymore either.

I wish the fucking Congress WOULD pass the so-called "CALM Act."

I'd much prefer that legislation to their moronic efforts to "fix" the economy by utterly unprincipled massive stupid deficit spending.

As for the Act allegedly being "Unconstitutional," I am of mixed opinion. Those airwaves belong to the PEOPLE. We permit (through the government) private companies to use them for a profit. To the extent that proposition is true, then we certainly have a right to put some reasonable conditions on the license we grant them to use our airwaves. We aren't threatening free speech in this -- not even commercial speech. We are just saying, lower your voice!

Some of these fucking commercials blast my ear drums. I get the volume set to a reasonable level for some show I am enjoying and BAM it's commercial time. :evil:

Hey fuckers! If you shout at me, I'm not only not more likely to buy your shit, I am absolutely LESS likely to do so. In the interim, stop fucking shouting at me, you fucktards.

Are we clear on this, you advertising assholes?

We had a tv that when commercials came on it automatically lowered the volume. I was an option in the settings menu. Can't remember what kind of tv but Tommy Smothers was in the ad for it. Loved that feature. They either got rid of that feature or the commercial people found a way to get around it. Commercials have always been louder; some now are uuuber loud. I don't give a shit the why of it, I just mute the thing or lower the volume . . . but mostly I just change the channel. I had one remote that had commercial skip . . . you set a timer for say 3 minutes on the channel you are watching then bop around and at the end of the 3 minutes the tv went back to your original channel. Yeah, that feature doesn't exist anymore either.

Yes, we too bought a tv that moderated the Commercial and Program volume as well, but it DOES NOT WORK if you have DISH or Direct TV....their cable box OVERRIDES what we payed for.... if it were a moderate volume rise...so be it, but it is grossly and obnoxiously much louder now for commercials.

These companies should listen to their customers and are doing a disservice to their advertisers by increasing the noise decimal so much that everyone is muting their tv's or channel surfing when commercials are on.

Yes, we too bought a tv that moderated the Commercial and Program volume as well, but it DOES NOT WORK if you have DISH or Direct TV....their cable box OVERRIDES what we payed for.... if it were a moderate volume rise...so be it, but it is grossly and obnoxiously much louder now for commercials.

These companies should listen to their customers and are doing a disservice to their advertisers by increasing the noise decimal so much that everyone is muting their tv's or channel surfing when commercials are on.

Do you ever notice the hearing aid commercials are much quieter?

What??

What??

:lol:

MY right to control MY property (the television's loudness) is the only right in question here.

You do not enjoy a civil right that infringes on someone else's civil right. Therefore, MY property is off limits to the advertiser's control.

Yes, you have the right to control your property. You can mute the television, or cancel your service.

The airwaves, however, are the property of who paid for them, and they can control their property.

Yeah Comcast may be the same. I think the tv with that feature may have been a Magnavox we had a long time ago. The advertisers only end up losing any possible business they may have gained by making the volume so loud. I rarely pay attention to commercials and the more they crank the volume the more I change the channel and the less I even see the commercials.

It's ear shattering at my parents house cause they have the tv up really loud to begin with then when the commercials come on :eek: Run for the hills!

Yes, you have the right to control your property. You can mute the television, or cancel your service.

The airwaves, however, are the property of who paid for them, and they can control their property.
I pay for the airwaves...and so do you.

Nope. The airwaves (at least in legal theory -- or legal fiction?) belong to ALL of US!

We permit the gubmint to lease the airwaves to the commercial communication companies. That's a license!

Licenses can be CONDITIONED as WE, the owners, deem appropriate.

And the conditions are not static. They can be amended (such as when the licenses come up for renewal).

Nope. The airwaves (at least in legal theory -- or legal fiction?) belong to ALL of US!

We permit the gubmint to lease the airwaves to the commercial communication companies. That's a license!

Licenses can be CONDITIONED as WE, the owners, deem appropriate.

And the conditions are not static. They can be amended (such as when the licenses come up for renewal).

And where in the Constitution do we permit the government to do this?

☭proletarian☭;1858011 said:
Please don't make me explain to you that if the volume gets louder they've increased the volume...

wow...

So anytime an explosion goes off in the movie you're watching on TV, you see green bars going across the screen and/or the knob turns?

Your TV's haunted, Ravi.

Go ask a soundtech about recording vs. playback volume.
:lol: So you're okay with Congress regulating the levels that boost the volume I take it.

I assume, from the fact that you clicked 'submit reply', that you were trying to say something. What it might have been, I can't decipher.

Again... contrary to what The Outer Limits said, they don't really control your tv. Stop freaking out and take toe foil off your head.

Forum List

Back