Turning down the volume on TV commercials

:lol:

KKen is really cracking me up with all this pseudo-intellectual unconstitutional schtick. :lol:

Perhaps he didn't do his homework so he doesn't know that the government already regulates the volume on television commercials, has for a long time. This bill is about re-writing the regulations.

Current regulation stipulates that the commercial can be as loud as the loudest part of the program on which the ad is placed. Even if say, that's a loud explosion. And so the ad makers have been exploiting this rule to make commercials ludicrously loud relative to the program you're watching. This bill seeks to remedy a poorly stated regulation. It's hardly precedent setting.

I'm glad you're amused.

If the people want it and their elected officials give it to them it most certainly is constitutional. Judging from the article and the response on this thread, the people DO want it.

And...it isn't violating anyone's civil rights.

So you're saying that the federal government can do whatever it wants so long as the people want it? Then what's the purpose of the Constitution? The truth is that the Constitution doesn't change just because the people want it to, the Constitution only changes through the amendment process.
No, they cannot violate someone's civil rights. In this instance, no one's civil rights are being violated.

The rights of the advertisers.

Reporting from Washington - Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-Menlo Park) wanted advertisers to hear her loud and clear. So she introduced the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation -- or CALM -- Act, aimed at lowering the volume on televised sales pitches.

"In my 17 years in the House of Representatives, I've never carried a bill which has been received with so much enthusiasm," Eshoo said. "Only the do-not-call list has even come close."

Turning down the volume on TV commercials -- latimes.com

Unconstitutional waste of time.

I have one word for everyone who hates commercials

TIVO Proud owner since 1999

So you're saying that the federal government can do whatever it wants so long as the people want it? Then what's the purpose of the Constitution? The truth is that the Constitution doesn't change just because the people want it to, the Constitution only changes through the amendment process.
No, they cannot violate someone's civil rights. In this instance, no one's civil rights are being violated.

They don't have a right to increase the volume on my television.

That air-time is their personal property for a set period of time, and can be as loud as they choose to make it. If you don't like it, I'd suggest the mute button.

That air-time is their personal property for a set period of time, and can be as loud as they choose to make it. If you don't like it, I'd suggest the mute button.
Simply not true. They are free to purchase airtime but they are not free to control my television.

They're not controlling your television, however. Your television's volume remains the same.

Simply not true. They are free to purchase airtime but they are not free to control my television.

They're not controlling your television, however. Your television's volume remains the same.
Same thing...if they are making their commercials louder than my settings they are controlling my television against my wishes.

Excuse me if this has already been brought up, but doesn't the government regulate "subliminal messages" in advertisements too?

Is that also unconstitutional?

Why or why not?

Honestly, it is just BS, that they can control the volume that I have set, for inside my own home...and they ARE disturbing the peace, for me and my family....they should LISTEN to their customer's complaints...I have made many of them and so have my parents and so have my neighbors....

Is there ANY cable company or satellite tv company that DOES NOT do this in our entire country? What are our choices? NO TV at ALL or have them do this crap? Be glued to the tv with remote in hand so that you can mute it every 7 minutes when commercials come on?

What is the real purpose of their actions of raising the volume of ones own volume set in their own home? Are they really selling more products by increasing the volume? Or are they just annoying the heck out of their PAID customers and having many of them just hitting their MUTE, defeating their quest to MAKE us listen to their advertisers?

It makes no sense to argue against this imho....congress is probably doing them a favor by passing this law...

They don't. The volume setting on yuor TV remains the same.

Please tell me I don't have to explain the science behind how two different sounds can be recorded at different volumes...

Control your tv?

You do realize that was just part of the intro, right? Fiction, Ravi, fiction...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I7vPbthvWo[/ame]

Same thing...if they are making their commercials louder than my settings they are controlling my television against my wishes.
They're not making anything louder than your settings. Turn the volume down when the commercial comes on next time and I guarantee you it won't be so loud.

☭proletarian☭;1857990 said:

Please tell me I don't have to explain the science behind how two different sounds can be recorded at different volumes...
Please don't make me explain to you that if the volume gets louder they've increased the volume...

Honestly, it is just BS, that they can control the volume that I have set, for inside my own home...and they ARE disturbing the peace, for me and my family....they should LISTEN to their customer's complaints...I have made many of them and so have my parents and so have my neighbors....

Is there ANY cable company or satellite tv company that DOES NOT do this in our entire country? What are our choices? NO TV at ALL or have them do this crap? Be glued to the tv with remote in hand so that you can mute it every 7 minutes when commercials come on?

What is the real purpose of their actions of raising the volume of ones own volume set in their own home? Are they really selling more products by increasing the volume? Or are they just annoying the heck out of their PAID customers and having many of them just hitting their MUTE, defeating their quest to MAKE us listen to their advertisers?

It makes no sense to argue against this imho....congress is probably doing them a favor by passing this law...

TIVO

TIVO
TIVO
TIVO
TIVO
TIVO
TIVO

:D HAPPY NEW YEARS :D

FULL DISCLOSURE: Yes I own multiple stocks in the company that makes TIVO ;).
http://www.tivo.com/

Last edited:
☭proletarian☭;1857990 said:

Please don't make me explain to you that if the volume gets louder they've increased the volume...

wow...

So anytime an explosion goes off in the movie you're watching on TV, you see green bars going across the screen and/or the knob turns?

Your TV's haunted, Ravi.

Go ask a soundtech about recording vs. playback volume.

Forum List

Back