Turning authority over to Irag

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
Chalabi is becoming as curious characture here. With all the speculation as to how and to who this turnover will occur I thought I would add this thread. I believe that the US must avoid the appearance of merely creating a puppet govt. What if the recent "discrediting" of Chalabi is merely a ploy to make him look more like an Iraqi representative than a US puppet. Wouldn't this make him a bit more acceptable to the Arab world. Yes==a bit "tin foil" but maybe a good idea?

Originally posted by dilloduck
Chalabi is becoming as curious characture here. With all the speculation as to how and to who this turnover will occur I thought I would add this thread. I believe that the US must avoid the appearance of merely creating a puppet govt. What if the recent "discrediting" of Chalabi is merely a ploy to make him look more like an Iraqi representative than a US puppet. Wouldn't this make him a bit more acceptable to the Arab world. Yes==a bit "tin foil" but maybe a good idea?

I hadn't considered that possibility. It may be, but I think that chalabi has become too much of a liability. He's been a vocal critic of the occupation, it has become well-known that he provided the so-called defectors that provided some of the "critical intelligence" used in part to justify the war which has proven false, his INC have been widely accused of corruption. Perhaps the final straw was when Bush, in yet another policy shift in Iraq, decided to put the transition government in the hands of UN Envoy Brahimi. That move put Chaabi on a collision course with Brahimi who wants to get rid of the puppets in the council in favor of "technicians" who will run the show until democratic election can be held in 2005. Chalabi's only hope for becoming the next President of Iraq was to be installed by in supporters, most notably VP Cheney and the Pentagon (State and CIA have never realy warmed to Chalabi and the INC). Chalabi could never actually win an election in Iraq. Thus, in with the new policy and out with the old. That means Chalabi has to go.

That's my two cents anyway.

Forum List

Back