Tsunami aid 'spent on politics'

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Angel Heart, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22974796-2702,00.html

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Is it a bad thing to encourage gender equality in Asian countries where women face horrible obstacles?

3. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Are the basic needs of these people being filled? Is this just the excess after getting them back up on their feet after loosing everything? If so, then they should go back to their donors and see what they wish to be done with the money.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I don't think anyone is contending it is a bad thing, but when you have people donating money to a cause, then the money should be spent on the cause represented. If it is to be used for other purposes, then the donors should have been told that at the time they donated, so they could decide whether they wish to support that cause or not.

5. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    I figure the money was intended to benefit the people it serves. I don't have an issue with women being helped, particularly if so much money is going into reubuilding agriculture and business. Kind of like when Federal money is given to a school, they can't do certain things or they risk losing the money. Certainly wouldn't trouble me at all. Frankly, I can't imagine any of the donors being too put out that girls are being helped. Not exactly an issue where there should be two "sides".

6. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    That's a hard argument to make when the charities hold the "purpose" out as Tsunami relief. If the money were represented generally as going to make lives better in the region, then I'd support your argument. But when you get people to donate for "Tsunami relief" then the money should be spent on problems that are related to the Tsunami and not on other things. The status of gender justice in the region has no reasonable relationship to the Tsunami, so I think it is a misrepresentation to prompt people to donate to it on the basis of "Tsunami relief." I don't agree with misrepresenting things or deceiving people, even if the ends that you're trying to further are ones I agree with.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    I understand your point, certainly. And, for the most part, I agree. I suppose I just can't get too worked up over it being done for something so very necessary. Also, the whole concept that it advances "politically correct projects promoting left-wing Western values over traditional Asian culture" as stated in the OP didn't sit particularly well with me. Why is gender justice "left wing". Isn't it a shared value?

8. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    "Gender justice" doesn't strike me as a left-wing concept, although I suppose if you are dealing with a rigid and entrenched patriarchy where women are second-class citizens, then a lot of what seems like a shared value to us (and what should be a shared value) may be considered left-wing in those areas. From the original post, though, I got the impression that the Australians complaining viewed the program as 'left-wing,' which does seem somewhat odd.

I would certainly like to see improvements for women in many parts of the world (Asia and the Middle East, for example)!

9. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    Well, maybe some of our Aussies on the board will tell us what kind of paper The Australian is, might help explain why they called it a "left-wing value". On whole, I think money should be used for what it's collected for. And I could certainly understand some Asians not liking the concept, but westerners who donated the money??? I'd think they'd be thrilled to have money used that way, but there ya go.

Agreed on Asia and the mid-east.