Trying to understand the Repub view on tax hike for deficit...

Are you joking? corporate welfare is one of our biggest reasons for the national debt.

So cut that first. It still doesn't dent the deficit. If you guys hadn't been demanding it to begin with that "too big to fail" nonsense the past 4 years, it wouldnt nearly be this bad.

Last edited:
Um...Maybe because "the wealthy" didn't run up a $14 trillion debt.

Excellent point. The rich have never taken anything from me. The poor have taken much.

Are you joking? corporate welfare is one of our biggest reasons for the national debt.

Then stop all welfare! Can't you see it is morally wrong to take private property from anyone and give to someone else. Morally wrong as in evil!

I would be more than happy to discuss cuts at home after we have cut all of our foriegn aid spending. It is unfathomable and unacceptable to ask the american public to make cuts when we are subsidizing foriegn countries.

Foreign aid would be a good start. but it really will barely touch our problem. The problem is with our entitlement mentality. We need to break that.

I agree. I just wanted to see what, if any, social programs Avatar was " willing to part with.

I would be more than happy to discuss cuts at home after we have cut all of our foriegn aid spending. It is unfathomable and unacceptable to ask the american public to make cuts when we are subsidizing foriegn countries.

Foreign aid would be a good start. but it really will barely touch our problem. The problem is with our entitlement mentality. We need to break that.

I agree. I just wanted to see what, if any, social programs Avatar was " willing to part with.

sorry I meant spectrumc01

Excellent point. The rich have never taken anything from me. The poor have taken much.

Then stop all welfare! Can't you see it is morally wrong to take private property from anyone and give to someone else. Morally wrong as in evil!

There are alot of people that don't see Robbery as morally wrong as long as they sanction it through their government.

Id like to part with most of them. I don't think they truly help the way private charity would.

I have always been under the thinking that I am ok with paying an increase level of taxes if a couple things happen first:

1) everyone pays some federal tax, (EVERYONE)
2) spending gets under control
3) We get out of Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan...what we are doing there now with troops can be somewhat acheived through drone attacks (screw pakistan I could really care less what they think)
4) Secure the border (no offense but tax dollars should not go to educating or providing services to illegals, I shouldn't be paying teachers to teach classes in spanish)

If we reduce spending on entitlements and have greater oversight of the entitlements we do provide, have everyone with skin in the game and we still face a shortfall then we can talk.

If you have a poor person and a rich person and you need to have $20.00 which one do you ask for it from? the rich guy or the poor guy? By cutting programs that people depend on to live you take away their means which pushes them into crime. so now we pay for their room and board in prison in stead.

The government doesn't "ask" you for money. It takes your money. Your analogy would be more accurate if you asked which person a mugger would rather hold up.

Your argument is the moral code of thieves.

How is it justifiable to, on the one hand, slam the president for not reducing the deficit, but then on the other hand, refuse to up the taxes on the wealthy? How is that even rational? Please explain to me why the Repubs want to have their cake, eat it too, and throw a fit until its done? Anyone out there want to enlighten me?

We have 50 YEARS of history to go by. The Democrats have NEVER in 50 years raised taxes AND cut spending. In fact in 50 years they have NEVER cut spending. The reality is every single time the Democrats got a tax raise they SPENT more and BRAGGED about it.

Why should we suddenly believe after 50 years they have changed their tune? They just nearly shut the Government down over 60 billion in cuts from a deficit of 1.6 TRILLION.

How is it justifiable to, on the one hand, slam the president for not reducing the deficit, but then on the other hand, refuse to up the taxes on the wealthy? How is that even rational? Please explain to me why the Repubs want to have their cake, eat it too, and throw a fit until its done? Anyone out there want to enlighten me?

Paul Ryan's budget plan, which I personally think is a cop out, actually reduces taxes across the board, yet effectively results in a tax increase for almost everyone by eliminating the loopholes that permeate the tax code.

Paul Ryan's budget plan, which I personally think is a cop out, actually reduces taxes across the board, yet effectively results in a tax increase for almost everyone by eliminating the loopholes that permeate the tax code.

How is it a "cop out?"

The numbers show that taxing the "rich" (as Obama states those making over 250k a year), will not put even a small dent in the deficit.

"According to the Congressional Budget Office, over the next 10 years the Obama budget will produce a deficit of $10.900 billion, or 5.3% of GDP on average.

According to the left's own calculations and as reported by the New York Times, Obama's plan to raise taxes on the rich will generate $700 billion in additional revenue over the next decade, or just a pathetic 0.3% of GDP."
Super-Economy: Doing the math: President Obama's plan to tax the rich will hardly make a dent in the deficit

It's impossible to understand republicans. They don't understand you cut revenues, you cut your ablity to pay off the debt.

There are two ways to generate dollars into the federal governments coffers.
#1. Raise taxes
#2. Increase economic activity by lowering taxes for all and cut government regulation.
If you were to triple the income tax on the people earning $250.000 or more it would not come close to creating the kind of money that a growing and robust economy would bring into the federal government.
Set the people free, stop clipping their business wings and watch the government coffers swell. Tax them more, and get more of what we have now and worse.

The wealthy certainly saw the rewards of the flat wages for the last thirty plus years. Almost 90% increase in worker productivity that correlates with the 90% growth of the US economy since the 80s. The working middle class weren't included in the fruits of the economic growth. So unless you don't belong to the working middle class, you have been touched by the wealthy.

It's impossible to understand republicans. They don't understand you cut revenues, you cut your ablity to pay off the debt.

Did you ever consider, in your wildest imagination, the possibility of cutting spending?

Forum List

Back