Trump's Tariffs hurting American Manufacturing

Steel from China represents 4% of our steel imports.

Horseshit....it's almost 40% when you count the third-country wave-throughs. I don't buy steel moron, but I've been a fabricator most of my adult life and I know good steel from your shit slant crap....so STFU.

I caught up with a long time friend who lives & works in Canada. He sells drilling equipment to mines & quarries.

He told me that since Trump's tariffs, he only buys from the US that he absolutely can't get in other places. PCD bits that he used to buy from the US got to be too much of a hassle to import so he had to find other sources. He tried a Chinese made bit. It was more durable , lasted longer, and drilled just as well if not better than the one he was getting from the US. Business lost forever for the US manufacturer.

There is a manufacturer of these types of bits nearby that is owned by a foreign country. They had a huge backlog & one day it was gone. Pulled from this factory & sent elsewhere to be manufactured to avoid tariffs.

Really, is our steel industry so pathetic that it can't compete with the Canadians?

Trump is helping US steel makers, google it
US Steel planning to add more than 800 jobs this year

Yes, Trump is helping US steel makers and hurting everyone that relies on steel for their business. The government is once again picking winners and losers, something that only a statist would approve of

Not "statist" call it "populist". The current system was killing the US steel mills. The "statists" are foreign countries subsidizing their steel industries, even using "transshipment" to advantage (making in one country and importing into the US from another).
How much steel does the U.S. import from China?

Since the US steel industry is making a comeback instead of slowly going away, I'm thankful for Trump's saving the US steel and aluminum industries. The added cost to US manufacturers is minimal, since material costs is a tiny fraction of most manufactured products, like cars or beer cans. Its all about US jobs, and Trump, Navarro, and Lightheiser are earning their keep.
upgrading infrastructure would do more.
I'd normally agree with you, but not when the Debt is $22T and skyrocketing up.
why can we "afford" tax cut economics?

1. Q: is it "statist" for a country to be subsidizing their agricultural industries?
A. Statist: "political system in which the state has substantial centralized control over social and economic affairs." So the short answer is NO, not in this case. Trump subsidized a limited number of products that were affected by his "trade war", specifically soy beans. Trump did not exert undue influence over the vast number of US agricultural products unaffected by the "Trade War".

2. The poll on economics and trade was intended to show the difference between the prior decades of "free US trade" and the current Trump team of Navarro and Lightheiser ensuring "free and fair trade". They are at least trying to level the trade playing field. One of my friends sells Harley MCs. He had a sale to Germany, but it was cancelled since there was a 100% tariff on US MCs. The US does not have any tariffs on MCs. Check the Ag industry again, China is buying US rice. The trade deal is not done yet, so stay tuned, don't draw conclusions yet.

3. Agreed. Both parties suck when it comes to managing money.

4. Agreed. Kudlow and his tax cuts never pay for themselves. Its a sugar high or "bubble" that always adds to the Debt. Lets hope that the 2020 Budget brings sanity back to Fed spending and tax policies.

5. Don't blame tariffs for stupid Fed policy. The Fed raised rates too fast and made a big dip in the markets. Lets hope they get a clue before raising rates again.

1. Outside of the 12 billion dollar bonus we gave farmers, we give them more than 20 billion dollars a year in subsidies. According to you other countries doing this to their industries is bad, yet you have never complained about it happening in the US. So, is it bad or not?

2. You are the one that was drawing conclusions with your poll, not me. Also, China is the worlds largest importer of rice, by far. Them buying it from us is nothing ground breaking or even all that helpful.

5. The trade issues are weighing on the market far more than the Feds. They rise and fall right now with even a rumor of progress or stalling.

1. The issue is trade fairness. If the "trade war" injures certain US crops, should the government make them whole or not? The issue here is foreign subsidies for steel and aluminum and dumping them into the US injuring US steel producers. Do US farm subsidies injure any foreign farmers? No, because other countries use tariffs to protect theirs, such as Canada adding 100% tariffs on US milk.
China has a $500b trade surplus with the US. The US is currently negotiating a trade agreement that is more fair/balanced, and is using tariffs to level the playing field. Is China stealing US intellectual property bad or good? China uses currency manipulation, is that bad or good? China subsidizes steel production and dumping it into the US, is that bad or good? All tariffs and government subsidies are viewed from the effect they have on your own country. There is no absolute good or bad.

2. The poll I was trying to take was the US trade posture before Trump, which was "free trade" and Wall Street can move as many factories overseas as they want, and the Feds would not impose any tariffs. The US manufacturing sector was vanishing. Compared to the current Trump team of Navarro and Lightheiser trying to use tariffs to advantage to make better trade agreements and protect US manufacturing jobs.

5. The trade agreements are a work-in-progress, at least Trump is negotiating instead of capitulating. It will take time to repatriate overseas money, put it to work, and create more jobs. How long does it take to plan, design, build, and start-up a new manufacturing facility like the Foxconn plant in WI, or the Amazon HQ2 "Crystal City" in VA?

True, but the debt is already past the line of demarcation....no way we can pay it down in time to stop it from crushing our society. We'll have to default....that will bring chaos in the world banking system short term but in the long term it's not only our best solution but our only solution...thanks to the commiecrats and the GOP who watched and did nothing but take their turn at the spigot.

The $22T can still be addressed w/o too much pain if the coxuckers tried. Otherwise I agree, it doesn't look good when the Fed Budget goes to zero except interest on the Debt. The fix I recommend is a 3% Fed sales tax and raising the tax on the top rate 7%. That gets the Budget to balance, then they need to actually cut spending to start paying down the Debt.
Here is the 2019 Federal Budget, $4.04T
Mandatory spending $2.74T
Social Security $878b
Medicare $625b
Medicaid $412b
Welfare $462b

Interest on the Debt $363b

Discretionary $1.3T
Defense $893.0b
HHS $70.0b
Education $59.9b
VA $83.1b
Homeland $52.7b
Energy Dept $29.2b
NNSA $15.1b
HUD $29.2b
State Dept $40.3b
NASA $19.0b
Foreign Aid $55.0b
All Other Agencies $78.1

Cut welfare, medicaid, defense, foreign aid, education and the $22T Debt starts going down

I caught up with a long time friend who lives & works in Canada. He sells drilling equipment to mines & quarries.

He told me that since Trump's tariffs, he only buys from the US that he absolutely can't get in other places. PCD bits that he used to buy from the US got to be too much of a hassle to import so he had to find other sources. He tried a Chinese made bit. It was more durable , lasted longer, and drilled just as well if not better than the one he was getting from the US. Business lost forever for the US manufacturer.

There is a manufacturer of these types of bits nearby that is owned by a foreign country. They had a huge backlog & one day it was gone. Pulled from this factory & sent elsewhere to be manufactured to avoid tariffs.

Really, is our steel industry so pathetic that it can't compete with the Canadians?
Cool, a one off anecdote that you're pretending represents the entire manufacturing industry.

Tell me, how many manufacturing jobs have been created under Trump. And keep in mind that the left had you convinced years ago that these jobs were gone, never to return.

Yes, Trump is helping US steel makers and hurting everyone that relies on steel for their business. The government is once again picking winners and losers, something that only a statist would approve of

Not "statist" call it "populist". The current system was killing the US steel mills. The "statists" are foreign countries subsidizing their steel industries, even using "transshipment" to advantage (making in one country and importing into the US from another).
How much steel does the U.S. import from China?

Since the US steel industry is making a comeback instead of slowly going away, I'm thankful for Trump's saving the US steel and aluminum industries. The added cost to US manufacturers is minimal, since material costs is a tiny fraction of most manufactured products, like cars or beer cans. Its all about US jobs, and Trump, Navarro, and Lightheiser are earning their keep.
upgrading infrastructure would do more.
why can we "afford" tax cut economics?
Agreed, we can't.
Its the same old GOP bullshit of growing the economy out of deficit and keeping it growing above 3% GDP. Not happening now and never will.

All I have to go on are the monthly labor statistics reports which continuously show a healthy employment gain for manufacturing over the past year. While the statistics are national, not sure if the gains are concentrated to any region but will continue to assume the gains are spread nationwide. I suspect next year's election coverage will provide more details by individual states.

True, but the debt is already past the line of demarcation....no way we can pay it down in time to stop it from crushing our society. We'll have to default....that will bring chaos in the world banking system short term but in the long term it's not only our best solution but our only solution...thanks to the commiecrats and the GOP who watched and did nothing but take their turn at the spigot.

The $22T can still be addressed w/o too much pain if the coxuckers tried. Otherwise I agree, it doesn't look good when the Fed Budget goes to zero except interest on the Debt. The fix I recommend is a 3% Fed sales tax and raising the tax on the top rate 7%. That gets the Budget to balance, then they need to actually cut spending to start paying down the Debt.
Here is the 2019 Federal Budget, $4.04T
Mandatory spending $2.74T
Social Security $878b
Medicare $625b
Medicaid $412b
Welfare $462b

Interest on the Debt $363b

Discretionary $1.3T
Defense $893.0b
HHS $70.0b
Education $59.9b
VA $83.1b
Homeland $52.7b
Energy Dept $29.2b
NNSA $15.1b
HUD $29.2b
State Dept $40.3b
NASA $19.0b
Foreign Aid $55.0b
All Other Agencies $78.1

Cut welfare, medicaid, defense, foreign aid, education and the $22T Debt starts going down

I agree there are measures both realistic and extreme. First, I'd means-test SS and Medicare....if you don't need that check, you don't get it. Yeah I know, I paid in all my life and it's mine....sorry Charlie, we have an economy to save. Once the debt hits $30T, we can't field a global military...$35T no military at all. We could sell Alaska to China for $10T.....that takes care of Barry's share of red ink. Then we sell off all the federal land in the continental US....that could bring in $5T....now we have manageable debt to GNP.....so between your cost-cutting and my ideas, it just might work.....I feel better already! :04:

All I have to go on are the monthly labor statistics reports which continuously show a healthy employment gain for manufacturing over the past year. While the statistics are national, not sure if the gains are concentrated to any region but will continue to assume the gains are spread nationwide. I suspect next year's election coverage will provide more details by individual states.

The Treasury is taking in record revenue from 6M new jobs....supply-side works if you can rein in the drunken sailors ie commiecrats and country club GOP.

Last edited:
1. Q: is it "statist" for a country to be subsidizing their agricultural industries?
A. Statist: "political system in which the state has substantial centralized control over social and economic affairs." So the short answer is NO, not in this case. Trump subsidized a limited number of products that were affected by his "trade war", specifically soy beans. Trump did not exert undue influence over the vast number of US agricultural products unaffected by the "Trade War".

2. The poll on economics and trade was intended to show the difference between the prior decades of "free US trade" and the current Trump team of Navarro and Lightheiser ensuring "free and fair trade". They are at least trying to level the trade playing field. One of my friends sells Harley MCs. He had a sale to Germany, but it was cancelled since there was a 100% tariff on US MCs. The US does not have any tariffs on MCs. Check the Ag industry again, China is buying US rice. The trade deal is not done yet, so stay tuned, don't draw conclusions yet.

4. Agreed. Kudlow and his tax cuts never pay for themselves. Its a sugar high or "bubble" that always adds to the Debt. Lets hope that the 2020 Budget brings sanity back to Fed spending and tax policies.

5. Don't blame tariffs for stupid Fed policy. The Fed raised rates too fast and made a big dip in the markets. Lets hope they get a clue before raising rates again.

1. Outside of the 12 billion dollar bonus we gave farmers, we give them more than 20 billion dollars a year in subsidies. According to you other countries doing this to their industries is bad, yet you have never complained about it happening in the US. So, is it bad or not?

2. You are the one that was drawing conclusions with your poll, not me. Also, China is the worlds largest importer of rice, by far. Them buying it from us is nothing ground breaking or even all that helpful.

5. The trade issues are weighing on the market far more than the Feds. They rise and fall right now with even a rumor of progress or stalling.

1. The issue is trade fairness. If the "trade war" injures certain US crops, should the government make them whole or not? The issue here is foreign subsidies for steel and aluminum and dumping them into the US injuring US steel producers. Do US farm subsidies injure any foreign farmers? No, because other countries use tariffs to protect theirs, such as Canada adding 100% tariffs on US milk.
China has a $500b trade surplus with the US. The US is currently negotiating a trade agreement that is more fair/balanced, and is using tariffs to level the playing field. Is China stealing US intellectual property bad or good? China uses currency manipulation, is that bad or good? China subsidizes steel production and dumping it into the US, is that bad or good? All tariffs and government subsidies are viewed from the effect they have on your own country. There is no absolute good or bad.

2. The poll I was trying to take was the US trade posture before Trump, which was "free trade" and Wall Street can move as many factories overseas as they want, and the Feds would not impose any tariffs. The US manufacturing sector was vanishing. Compared to the current Trump team of Navarro and Lightheiser trying to use tariffs to advantage to make better trade agreements and protect US manufacturing jobs.

5. The trade agreements are a work-in-progress, at least Trump is negotiating instead of capitulating. It will take time to repatriate overseas money, put it to work, and create more jobs. How long does it take to plan, design, build, and start-up a new manufacturing facility like the Foxconn plant in WI, or the Amazon HQ2 "Crystal City" in VA?

1. I do agree there is no absolute good or bad. Trade deficits are an example of this. There is nothing inherently bad about a trade deficit, in fact it often is the sign of a well off society. There is a reason the trade deficit goes up during a booming economy and goes down during a bad economy. China manipulating their currency is not even being discussed at the trade talks. Trump promised to label them as such on day one of his term...still waiting. Tariffs do not fix intellectual property theft.

You claim Canada has a 100% tariff on our dairy, is that because US dairy farmers are subsided up to 70% of their income? Are they just countering our protectionist actions?

2. Was the US manufacturing sector was really vanishing? Seems the facts do not support that theory...

upload_2019-2-25_15-28-33.png

There was a dip during the recession, but it has been recovering ever since 2010.

The Treasury is taking in record revenue from 6M new jobs....supply-side works if you can reign in the drunken sailors ie commiecrats and country club GOP.

Bullshit. The Treasury took in less in 2018 than it did in 2017.

Monthly Treasury Statement

CY18 total tax revenue:$3,330,470,000,000
CY17 total tax revenue:$3,343,634,000,000

$13,164,000,000 less dollars despite all those new jobs.

1. I do agree there is no absolute good or bad. Trade deficits are an example of this. There is nothing inherently bad about a trade deficit, in fact it often is the sign of a well off society. There is a reason the trade deficit goes up during a booming economy and goes down during a bad economy. China manipulating their currency is not even being discussed at the trade talks. Trump promised to label them as such on day one of his term...still waiting. Tariffs do not fix intellectual property theft.

You claim Canada has a 100% tariff on our dairy, is that because US dairy farmers are subsided up to 70% of their income? Are they just countering our protectionist actions?

2. Was the US manufacturing sector was really vanishing? Seems the facts do not support that theory...

There was a dip during the recession, but it has been recovering ever since 2010.
1. I hope that the new agreement fixes most of China's issues including currency manipulation, intellectual property theft, the trade deficit, foreign ownership of corporations in China, etc. The only club we have is tariffs, so we need to use them occasionally. Here is an explanation of their 270% milk tariff
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

2. Like your chart, but with a longer range. Manufacturing employment was fairly steady until 2000, then it declined about 30%, or about 5,000,000 jobs. The U.S. has lost 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000

upload_2019-2-25_16-48-28.png

1. I hope that the new agreement fixes most of China's issues including currency manipulation, intellectual property theft, the trade deficit, foreign ownership of corporations in China, etc. The only club we have is tariffs, so we need to use them occasionally. Here is an explanation of their 270% milk tariff
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

2. Like your chart, but with a longer range. Manufacturing employment was fairly steady until 2000, then it declined about 30%, or about 5,000,000 jobs. The U.S. has lost 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000

View attachment 247733

1. If you hope the new trade agreement with China does all those things, you better hope they do a hell of a better job than they did with the new NAFTA. Thanks for the article, it supports what I have been saying, things are not as bad as Trump has told you people. Also, we subsidize the hell out of our dairy industry to keep milk price low in our country, and thus other countries put tariffs on our milk products to keep up from flooding their markets. The dairy farmer in this country gets upwards of 70% of their income from subsidies.

The other consequences of artificially low milk prices is it is driving the smaller, independent dairies out of business.

2. Your chart is not output, but employment numbers. You will notice that even though employment numbers took a nose dive in 2000, production continued to increase except during the recessions. Two reasons for this, one is automation and the other is the focus on efficiency. Six Sigma took off in this country starting in the late 1990s, starting with GE in 1995. It was all about efficiency, more product produced with less people. There was no mad rush of job out of the country in 2000, but there was a mad rush to uber-efficiency. Hell I got put through Six Sigma by the Marines even! Everyone was doing it. The result is what you see happening in 2000.

The Treasury is taking in record revenue from 6M new jobs....supply-side works if you can reign in the drunken sailors ie commiecrats and country club GOP.

Bullshit. The Treasury took in less in 2018 than it did in 2017.

Monthly Treasury Statement

CY18 total tax revenue:$3,330,470,000,000
CY17 total tax revenue:$3,343,634,000,000

$13,164,000,000 less dollars despite all those new jobs.
Thank you for supplying actual facts. Trumpers will of course ignore them

Why does Canada make it so hard to import? Trump isn't in Canada fool.

Trump did not put tariffs on US exports. What are you talking about>?

He invited retaliation. He was so fucking stupid he thought he could put sanctions without anyone returning the favor.

Trump did not put tariffs on US exports. What are you talking about>?

He invited retaliation. He was so fucking stupid he thought he could put sanctions without anyone returning the favor.
Show us your proof of this lie.

The Treasury is taking in record revenue from 6M new jobs....supply-side works if you can rein in the drunken sailors ie commiecrats and country club GOP.
Too bad 6 million were not created.

Forum List

Back