Trump's Tariffs hurting American Manufacturing

RealDave

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2016
I caught up with a long time friend who lives & works in Canada. He sells drilling equipment to mines & quarries.

He told me that since Trump's tariffs, he only buys from the US that he absolutely can't get in other places. PCD bits that he used to buy from the US got to be too much of a hassle to import so he had to find other sources. He tried a Chinese made bit. It was more durable , lasted longer, and drilled just as well if not better than the one he was getting from the US. Business lost forever for the US manufacturer.

There is a manufacturer of these types of bits nearby that is owned by a foreign country. They had a huge backlog & one day it was gone. Pulled from this factory & sent elsewhere to be manufactured to avoid tariffs.

Really, is our steel industry so pathetic that it can't compete with the Canadians?

cool-story.jpg

I caught up with a long time friend who lives & works in Canada. He sells drilling equipment to mines & quarries.

He told me that since Trump's tariffs, he only buys from the US that he absolutely can't get in other places. PCD bits that he used to buy from the US got to be too much of a hassle to import so he had to find other sources. He tried a Chinese made bit. It was more durable , lasted longer, and drilled just as well if not better than the one he was getting from the US. Business lost forever for the US manufacturer.

There is a manufacturer of these types of bits nearby that is owned by a foreign country. They had a huge backlog & one day it was gone. Pulled from this factory & sent elsewhere to be manufactured to avoid tariffs.

Really, is our steel industry so pathetic that it can't compete with the Canadians?

Trump is helping US steel makers, google it
US Steel planning to add more than 800 jobs this year

Trump is a wimp! He is dropping China trade tariffs!!! Trump signed the LARGEST SPENDING bill in history!!! Trump EXPLODING US DEFICIT & DEBT!!!

Trump did not put tariffs on US exports. What are you talking about>?

Da. President Trump follow President Putin guide to model economy success. Import Export nuzzing. Economy provide all which is necessary for happy life. All workers employ

Yes, Trump is helping US steel makers and hurting everyone that relies on steel for their business. The government is once again picking winners and losers, something that only a statist would approve of

Yes, Trump is helping US steel makers and hurting everyone that relies on steel for their business. The government is once again picking winners and losers, something that only a statist would approve of

Not "statist" call it "populist". The current system was killing the US steel mills. The "statists" are foreign countries subsidizing their steel industries, even using "transshipment" to advantage (making in one country and importing into the US from another).
How much steel does the U.S. import from China?

Since the US steel industry is making a comeback instead of slowly going away, I'm thankful for Trump's saving the US steel and aluminum industries. The added cost to US manufacturers is minimal, since material costs is a tiny fraction of most manufactured products, like cars or beer cans. Its all about US jobs, and Trump, Navarro, and Lightheiser are earning their keep.

Not "statist" call it "populist". The current system was killing the US steel mills. The "statists" are foreign countries subsidizing their steel industries, even using "transshipment" to advantage (making in one country and importing into the US from another).

Since the US steel industry is making a comeback instead of slowly going away, I'm thankful for Trump's saving the US steel and aluminum industries. The added cost to US manufacturers is minimal, since material costs is a tiny fraction of most manufactured products, like cars or beer cans. Its all about US jobs, and Trump, Navarro, and Lightheiser are earning their keep.

You want the government to pick winners and losers...that is a statist view.

So, is it statist for countries to be subsidizing their agricultural industries?

"Too much of a hassle" to import goods from the U.S. to freaking Canada? Give me a break. The GDP never even hit 3% in a yearly average in the eight freaking stagnant years of Obama and Trump had it at 4.1% in his first year. So called "experts" never complained about Obama's economy but the whine about Trump. We are barely into the 3rd year of the Trump administration and unemployment is at a historic low and confidence in the economy is high but (mostly) lefties are whining all over the place. The truth is that the left doesn't want the China tariffs to be successful nor do they want the U.S. economy to thrive under a republican administration.

Trump wants us all doing 3rd world work so his base can compete with the rest of us again

"Too much of a hassle" to import goods from the U.S. to freaking Canada? Give me a break. The GDP never even hit 3% in a yearly average in the eight freaking stagnant years of Obama and Trump had it at 4.1% in his first year. So called "experts" never complained about Obama's economy but the whine about Trump. We are barely into the 3rd year of the Trump administration and unemployment is at a historic low and confidence in the economy is high but (mostly) lefties are whining all over the place. The truth is that the left doesn't want the China tariffs to be successful nor do they want the U.S. economy to thrive under a republican administration.
^ thinks Trump had a 4.1% GDP growth :lmao:

"Too much of a hassle" to import goods from the U.S. to freaking Canada? Give me a break. The GDP never even hit 3% in a yearly average in the eight freaking stagnant years of Obama and Trump had it at 4.1% in his first year. .

Bull fucking shit!

Trump broke 4% for one single quarter. He has not had a 3% or greater year yet

^ thinks Trump had a 4.1% GDP growth :lmao:

These sheep believe everything their party masters send them! :21::21::21:

So, is it statist for countries to be subsidizing their agricultural industries?

Hope this works, please see my other thread on Economic and Trade advisors:
Who has the best economic advisors based on results?

The truth is that you are a fucking idiot.

The difficulty in importing US goods into Canada has ZERO to do witrh GDP. It has to do with your orange POS's tariffs.

Pull you head out of Trump's ass & look around every now & then. Look at the climbing deficits. You know, that thing you assfucks used to rant about every freaking day under Obama.

Economic growth in 2017 was NOT 4.1% .

The Dow Jones Industrial Average of the top 30 stocks was at 17,888 on the Friday before the 2016 elections.

As of this minute it is 26,188

8,300 points in 2 years and a few weeks.

Tell us again how Trump is hurting American Manufacturing.

fucking idiot

upgrading infrastructure would do more.

Hope this works, please see my other thread on Economic and Trade advisors:
Who has the best economic advisors based on results?

What works is answering the questions...is is a statist for countries to be subsidizing their agricultural industries?

I saw your thread, read the poll and left the thread because it was so stupid I could not take it.

First off there have been no "results" from any new trade deals. The only real deal that has been "reached" is the new NAFTA which has not been approved by the Senate and which is nothing more than a minor tweak to the old trade agreement. Far and away the biggest change was the new name.

Second, the tariffs are not helping, they are hurting. While the steel industry is making out, many other are not. The Ag industry has been hit so hard that they had to give them 12 billion more dollars in subsidies (something you think is bad when other countries do it)

Third, both parties practice Keynesian economics. It was the GOP controlled House, Senate and White House that added 1.48 trillion dollars to the debt last year hoping to turbo charge the economy.

Fourth, the GOP tax cuts led to a $13,164,000,000 decrease in revenue in CY 2018 compared to CY 2017, adding even more to the national debt.

Fifth, since the day of the first tariffs the DJI is down .10%, the S&P is down 1% and the NASDAQ is up 3.3%, so bascially 13 months of zero growth in the market with nothing to show for it.

There are signs that the US economy is slowing down.

TOTAL crock of shit, typical for a canuck if it's true which I doubt. Chinese steel is crap....sand steel and maybe the worst steel ever used in tool-making. The slants were dumping it through intermediate countries (Canuckistan) and Trump stopped it giving our steel industry new life and they are flourishing because we make the best steel in the world along with the Germans...nobody else is even close.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back