Trump's tariffs are stupid

Tariffs are bad. All they do is end up raising prices across the board.

Then by that logic, we should slash import prices drastically and just shut down all of our factories! Of course it will raise prices! That is the point, tariffs raise the prices of imports high enough that it now becomes feasible to compete with them by making the same stuff here at a lower cost thus bringing prices of goods back down but in the process, transferring the manufacturing and sourcing from foreign countries to our own American workers. In the long run, prices remain about the same but we boost our own economy, job market and manufacturing.

The domestic manufacturers will raise prices as a result of the foreign manufactured steel costing more.

I do not agree with Trump on this issue at all.

I support free trade.

Also, trade deficits in and of themselves are not necessarily a bad thing. More data is needed to determine if it's bad.

The USA currently has a $500 million annual trade deficit with Venezuela.....so Venezuela must have a great economy?

I'm sure he has an agenda, but we don't import steel from China.

https://www.trade.gov/steel/countries/pdfs/imports-us.pdf
ShockedCanadian explained our lack of knowledge on this yesterday.
Canada’s steel comes from China.

you really shouldn't believe anything a trumptard says.

https://www.trade.gov/steel/countries/pdfs/imports-Canada.pdf

The global steel industry by the numbers

Obamonkeys are much more reliable.

Agreed. But I’m willing to give them some Leeway. He did campaign on it.

But I would like Congress to start stepping up and using their controls over it

you really shouldn't believe anything a trumptard says.

https://www.trade.gov/steel/countries/pdfs/imports-Canada.pdf

The global steel industry by the numbers
I see lots of long term unemployed construction workers very busy for the first time in years.
That makes me happy.
I don’t give a shit about which party or which representative is behind it.

Then by that logic, we should slash import prices drastically and just shut down all of our factories! Of course it will raise prices! That is the point, tariffs raise the prices of imports high enough that it now becomes feasible to compete with them by making the same stuff here at a lower cost thus bringing prices of goods back down but in the process, transferring the manufacturing and sourcing from foreign countries to our own American workers. In the long run, prices remain about the same but we boost our own economy, job market and manufacturing.

The domestic manufacturers will raise prices as a result of the foreign manufactured steel costing more.

I do not agree with Trump on this issue at all.

I support free trade.

Also, trade deficits in and of themselves are not necessarily a bad thing. More data is needed to determine if it's bad.

The USA currently has a $500 million annual trade deficit with Venezuela.....so Venezuela must have a great economy?

I support free trade too. So lets renegotiate a better trade deal with these countries so we don't need to levy a tariff on them. BTW, if national steel companies raise their prices higher due to foreign tariffs, then they are cutting their own throats as they would be killing the incentive to buy from them. I know, I used to work for ATI.

ATI Relentless Innovation®

My opinions are issue based, not STRICTLY party or person based....some of you should try it.

Well yes. China dumps steel, but not in the US. Trump's tariffs don't change that unless Canada wants to maftr less steel. We have 140 steelworkers and 6.5 million working with maftred steel.

Trump has a agenda, but it's not steel jobs.

140,000 jobs producing steel. I agree with you 100%....this isn't about the 140k steel jobs.
146,000 jobs lost, not accounting for retaliation from other countries.
WTO warns of deep recession.
Let them figure out how to blame Obama.

:lol:

How will increasing costs of raw materials bring down the cost of goods?

Tariffs will never bring prices of goods down - they just prop up industries that without the assistance would be unable to compete internationally.

If a car made with American steel costs 20% more, and tariffs increase the price of foreign steel by 25%, the car is still going to cost more to the consumer, no matter where they get the steel.

Well yes. China dumps steel, but not in the US. Trump's tariffs don't change that unless Canada wants to maftr less steel. We have 140 steelworkers and 6.5 million working with maftred steel.

Trump has a agenda, but it's not steel jobs.

140,000 jobs producing steel. I agree with you 100%....this isn't about the 140k steel jobs.
146,000 jobs lost, not accounting for retaliation from other countries.
WTO warns of deep recession.
Let them figure out how to blame Obama.
Uh huh.

Tariffs will never bring prices of goods down - they just prop up industries that without the assistance would be unable to compete internationally.

If a car made with American steel costs 20% more, and tariffs increase the price of foreign steel by 25%, the car is still going to cost more to the consumer, no matter where they get the steel.

I thought I already explained all that! Please read and do not ask me to repeat!

I thought I already explained all that! Please read and do not ask me to repeat!

Perhaps you imagined that you did, but you didn't.

You're welcome to try again.

Perhaps you imagined that you did, but you didn't.

You're welcome to try again.

Sure I did, you just don't read well. It says so right above. If I make a car and US steel costs 20% and I can get foreign steel for 15%, I am going to buy the foreign steel. But if I add the tariff to raise foreign steel to 20-22%, now I have a choice to buy US steel or not and even save money. In the short term this raises prices slightly, but the net result of doing this across the board over time is that national business goes way up, manufacturing goes way up, sales go way up, dependence on foreign supplies drops way down, and with increased volume comes savings. We are now competitive so foreign companies lower prices to compete and we lower ours to stay ahead. Suddenly there is a lot more US business, many more jobs,local and foreign competition, more economic growth, better paying jobs and a higher standard of living. Eventually now there is incentives for the foreign countries to renegotiate better trade deals to eliminate tariffs because they want our business back. More money to dispose of by spending on other things. Not all of the benefits of trade leveraging are immediate, direct or obvious.

Yea, we really made a mistake by moving to free trade in 1945 and abandoning most tariffs we had been levying since 1816. (SARCASM)

What has America accomplished since 1945? (SARCASM)

If you need your government to artificially raise prices on imports so that you can compete, you fucking suck as a company.

It ultimately punishes the consumer

Yea, we really made a mistake by moving to free trade in 1945 and abandoning most tariffs we had been levying since 1816. (SARCASM)

If you need your government to artificially raise prices on imports so that you can compete, you fucking suck as a company.

dude, really? you think an american unionized andregulated company can sell at the same price as China? you really believe that? what stops them from undermining every industry and shutting us down as a country. It is there end game.

dude, really? you think an american unionized andregulated company can sell at the same price as China? you really believe that? what stops them from undermining every industry and shutting us down as a country. It is there end game.

Therein lies the problem.

Too many stupid fucking regulations.

Government takes Bob's money and spends it on Tom through products and services made by Frank.

The tariffs won't go to US Steel.....they go to the government.

Force your competitors to RAISE their prices so you can compete.

American as fuck, huh?

8mKsE4V.jpg

Forum List

Back