Trump's tariffs are stupid

I have a feeling it is part of a broader strategy, a ways and means to an end. Just watch patiently.

I'm sure he has an agenda, but we don't import steel from China.

https://www.trade.gov/steel/countries/pdfs/imports-us.pdf
ShockedCanadian explained our lack of knowledge on this yesterday.
Canada’s steel comes from China.
Well yes. China dumps steel, but not in the US. Trump's tariffs don't change that unless Canada wants to maftr less steel. We have 140 (EDIT HUNDRED THOUSAND) steelworkers and 6.5 million working with maftred steel.

Trump has a agenda, but it's not steel jobs.

Last edited:

The tariffs are likely aimed at NAFTA don't you think? They are not nation specific tho
Possibly. Or they could be a political ploy aimed at his base. Or both.

But his tariffs on steel and aluminum will be met with tariffs on our agricultural products, and that involves the world, not just Canada and Mexico.

If you raise prices on Chinese steel so that American steel will be purchased because it costs less....the American steel will increase prices.

Now, every industry that uses steel in the USA is now paying more for the steel......cars, homes....

Tariffs DO NOT WORK.

Well yes. China dumps steel, but not in the US. Trump's tariffs don't change that unless Canada wants to maftr less steel. We have 140 steelworkers and 6.5 million working with maftred steel.

Trump has a agenda, but it's not steel jobs.

140,000 jobs producing steel. I agree with you 100%....this isn't about the 140k steel jobs.

If you raise prices on Chinese steel so that American steel will be purchased because it costs less....the American steel will increase prices.

Now, every industry that uses steel in the USA is now paying more for the steel......cars, homes....

Tariffs DO NOT WORK.
Well, China is dumping steel. There is no question. But the US in not importing that dumped steel. We already imposed steel sanctions. The problem is not every one else has as well.

Possibly, Trump could have announced tariffs on every country exporting steel to us who hasn't imposed sanctions against China. But he didn't.

He also didn't announce tariffs on countries importing finished products (like cars) that import Chinese steel.

My personal belief is our trade imbalance is less about unfair trade than it is with our manftr cost and our addiction to consuming with debt. But that belief didn't play with the Trump voters.

But I'm not defending Nafta, and I suspect it allows other countries to import stuff to us via Mexico.

Tariffs are bad. All they do is end up raising prices across the board.

Then by that logic, we should slash import prices drastically and just shut down all of our factories! Of course it will raise prices! That is the point, tariffs raise the prices of imports high enough that it now becomes feasible to compete with them by making the same stuff here at a lower cost thus bringing prices of goods back down but in the process, transferring the manufacturing and sourcing from foreign countries to our own American workers. In the long run, prices remain about the same but we boost our own economy, job market and manufacturing.

Tariffs are bad. All they do is end up raising prices across the board.

Then by that logic, we should slash import prices drastically and just shut down all of our factories! Of course it will raise prices! That is the point, tariffs raise the prices of imports high enough that it now becomes feasible to compete with them by making the same stuff here at a lower cost thus bringing prices of goods back down but in the process, transferring the manufacturing and sourcing from foreign countries to our own American workers. In the long run, prices remain about the same but we boost our own economy, job market and manufacturing.
we won't be making anything at a lower price.

And the US has a trade SURPLUS WITH CANADA.
Canada | United States Trade Representative

No it doesn't. Not in any general way, they import 8% from China.
America first, MFer.

America ALONE is more like it.
I see the market doesn’t agree with your “professional” assessment.

Forum List

Back