Trump's Policies Will Get in the Way of His Promise to Rebuild Texas

Hey geniuses, the survey of the shortages of skilled workers was taken before Harvey. Facts show that builders right now can not keep up with demand in their market. Will they just leave the trade market that they are already in and behind in and all go to Texas/Louisiana and fix Harvey's leftover damage?
Do you have ANY IDEA HOW supply & demand works? ANY at all?
Well you see. There are only so many trades workers. There can never be more getting in to it. They also can't move because...hell I have no idea but apparently you can't go if there's a shortage in your home state.

It's the fallacy of left wing thinking. There's only one pie and so many pieces.

What we have here is when ideology dumbs down people towards the illogical.
It's not tough of a question? Builders now can't keep up with demand, there's a shortage of skilled workers within this sector. Temporary pulling back on Trump's Green Card reform is the answer to a grave situation.
Did you people ever think out of your ideological box?
Oh my fucking god.

Let me spell it out for you slowly.

Y
O
U

A
R
E

A
N

I
D
I
O
T

It looks like more agree with me.
WILL HOUSTON FIND ENOUGH WORKERS TO REBUILD AFTER HARVEY?
Will Houston find enough workers to rebuild after Harvey? - News 12 Now
Texas caught short on construction workers as Harvey rebuild needed
The U.S. Might Not Have Enough Construction Workers to Rebuild Houston After Harvey
The U.S. Might Not Have Enough Construction Workers to Rebuild Houston After Harvey
Though I am certainly not a Trump fan, I'd hate to see the effects of Harvey last too long because of the politics of immigrants who are skilled construction workers.
The right thing Trump could do is to temporary stop the Green Card reform and let the skilled immigrants come to Texas and help the reconstruction of Harvey's wrath.

Normally, I'd be happy that my OP projection is correct, but in this case I'm not.

It breaks my heart to see all the lives lost and broken lives in Texas and Louisiana. It's sad to know these people are going to have to go through a long, long process to get their lives back.
It has been very heart warming to see neighbors helping neighbor. Seeing Texans from all over the state rush to the storms path with boats or anything else they had to had to help rescue the victims and help comfort them was unbelievably outstanding. I hope every one who posts on USMB donates something to the victims.

It's not tough of a question? Builders now can't keep up with demand, there's a shortage of skilled workers within this sector. Temporary pulling back on Trump's Green Card reform is the answer to a grave situation.
Oh my fucking god.

Y
O
U

A
R
E

A
N

I
D
I
O
T

Though I am certainly not a Trump fan, I'd hate to see the effects of Harvey last too long because of the politics of immigrants who are skilled construction workers.
The right thing Trump could do is to temporary stop the Green Card reform and let the skilled immigrants come to Texas and help the reconstruction of Harvey's wrath.

Normally, I'd be happy that my OP projection is correct, but in this case I'm not.

It breaks my heart to see all the lives lost and broken lives in Texas and Louisiana. It's sad to know these people are going to have to go through a long, long process to get their lives back.
It has been very heart warming to see neighbors helping neighbor. Seeing Texans from all over the state rush to the storms path with boats or anything else they had to had to help rescue the victims and help comfort them was unbelievably outstanding. I hope every one who posts on USMB donates something to the victims.
Idgaf what everyone else thinks. I work in the industry and am well aware of how shit works in disasters. I spent many years traveling to them myself. Usually areas devastated by tornadoes but the result will be the same regardless.

But YOU go ahead and believe the political tripe all you want, the rest of us will remain in reality.

On a side note how incredibly pathetic and anti American is it that the left don't think Americans are capable of taking care of themselves without a bunch of illegals...

Oh my fucking god.

Y
O
U

A
R
E

A
N

I
D
I
O
T

Idgaf what everyone else thinks. I work in the industry and am well aware of how shit works in disasters. I spent many years traveling to them myself. Usually areas devastated by tornadoes but the result will be the same regardless.

But YOU go ahead and believe the political tripe all you want, the rest of us will remain in reality.[/QUOTE}

Well, I have been in the healthcare industry for 30 years dealing with executives & managers from world famous institutions to small rural chains. Do I think I know the industry like you claim to know your industry? No.
Secondly, I would like to be wrong about the OP. But based on what I have read, with no one saying it won't be a problem but political hacks on a message board, I'll go with experts who deal with numbers. These people I have used know the Houston region and others know the US situation and this is their speciality.
I think you should contact those who are quoted and tell them what you know, because in your world, you be da man! :happy-1:
Can you find data that backs up your conjecture. Facts over conjecture, deal with it.
Finally, as I stated before, I'd love to be wrong, wrong, wrong!

Oh my fucking god.

Y
O
U

A
R
E

A
N

I
D
I
O
T

But YOU go ahead and believe the political tripe all you want, the rest of us will remain in reality.[/QUOTE}

Well, I have been in the healthcare industry for 30 years dealing with executives & managers from world famous institutions to small rural chains. Do I think I know the industry like you claim to know your industry? No.
Secondly, I would like to be wrong about the OP. But based on what I have read, with no one saying it won't be a problem but political hacks on a message board, I'll go with experts who deal with numbers. These people I have used know the Houston region and others know the US situation and this is their speciality.
I think you should contact those who are quoted and tell them what you know, because in your world, you be da man! :happy-1:
Can you find data that backs up your conjecture. Facts over conjecture, deal with it.
Finally, as I stated before, I'd love to be wrong, wrong, wrong!
You work in HEALTHCARE. I work In the construction industry. As far as my talents and knowledge of MY INDUSTRY go....I AM DA MAN and you are a lemming falling for political tripe.

I'm done with you and this conversation ya clueless tool.

So, according to "da man", there is no shortage of skilled labor in the construction industry? Of course no shortage, would contradiction surveys of a national survey of the construction industry by chief the economist for the National Association of Homebuilders, which has 140,000 members. Do you belong to the National Association of Home Builders?
"Da man" really does have the connections in the builders industry that no one else has.
Can I be president of "da man" fan club?

Hmmm, it seems the new home construction is already having a problem with demand.
===========================================
Total housing starts rebounded in June, signaling positive momentum for residential construction in the second half of the year. Housing starts rose to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1.215 million in June, a rise of 8.3% from May. Gains were seen in both single and multifamily starts. Growth in residential construction is likely to persist in the next couple of months, since new housing permits also increased significantly last month.
Inventories Tight as Housing Demand Grows
========================================
With the fact there already is a shortage of skilled labor in this market and builders are struggling to keep up with the current demand, where will Texas and Louisiana builders find skilled labor to fill their need for recovery?
Are you daft? WTF

Workers from all across the nation will flood devastated areas JUST LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO.

Just like they always do?

Then why were parts of Louisiana still not rebuilt 2 years after Katrina? I'm talking middle class homes and neighbourhoods, not the 9th Ward in New Orleans. Why did it take years to rebuild after Sandy if all these workers flood in after a disaster?

You have 7000 homes lost due to Harvey, not including Houston. While some workers may travel to Texas, they'll be the fly-by-night types. Anyone with a solid job and a regular pay check won't go anywhere near the place.

For starters, the infrastructure has been destroyed. There has to be clean gas, electricity, and clean drinking water available before they can start rebuilding.

People don't just lose their homes. They lost their schools, hospitals, their places of employment, grocery stores, pharmacies - everything. There has to be a coordinated effort and planning going forward so that infrastructure is there before they start.

Where do you think these construction workers are going to live? There's shortages of food, water, gasoline. Even if the have an RV, it needs electricity, gasoline, and the workers need food.

Where are you going to get building supplies? When our town was hit by a tornado, only a few hundred houses were affected. It was impossible to get shingles, lumber or other building materials. Every lumber yard within a hundred miles was cleaned out of supplies. Same story for workmen. And we just needed to rebuild a few homes. We still had jobs, schools and infrastructure.

The people of Houston are at the beginnning of a horrendous nightmare. When your house is destroyed, you still have to continue to pay your mortgage. The bank doesn't forgive the loan. A lot of these people have lost their jobs in the storm too. Their workplaces have been destroyed as well so making those payments may be problematic.

If they had insurance, the insurance will pay the mortgage, eventually. But insurance adjusters will be overwhelmed dealing with claims. Take a number. They'll get to you eventually.

There's lots of money being donated, which is wonderful, but there will be a lot of paperwork to complete and hoops to jump through before any of the victims see a dime.

As bad as the storm has been, as terrible and tragic as the losses are, for the survivors, worst is yet to come. Rebuilding their lives and rebuilding their city will take a monumental effort involving all levels of government, insurance companies, unbelievable amounts of materials and labour which does not yet exist, and billions of dollars.

It's easy to stand up and say "We'll rebuild better than before", but actually doing it is a whole other matter.

Forum List

Back