Trump's government shutdown is not a 'vacation' for federal workers like my husband

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I've seen it reported that the federal contractors will not receive back-pay. They were just forced into limbo with no apparent way to recoup more than a month's lost wages.

Dear Wilbur Ross: My husband is a furloughed employee. We are a single-income family. Here's what the shutdown actually feels like.

Jan. 25, 2019, 9:03 AM PST
By Katherine Zimmerman

A few days into this snowballing disaster of a partial government shutdown, President Donald Trump’s chief economic adviser Kevin Hasset made the mind-bending statement that this involuntary cessation of work is like a vacation for federal workers. On Monday, Trump’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, said the shutdown was causing “a little bit of pain,” but that future generations would thank furloughed workers for their sacrifice. And then on Thursday, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross told Bloomberg he “didn’t understand” why the shutdown was forcing some furloughed federal workers to seek out food banks and suggested they simply go to a real bank and snap up a loan.

Well Secretary Ross, my husband is a furloughed USDA employee. We are a single-income family. And let me tell you, we are neither on a vacation nor suffering just a “a little bit of pain.”

Continued here
Opinion | Dear Wilbur Ross: Furloughed workers like my husband are not on a "vacation"

KleenexTruk.jpg

I've seen it reported that the federal contractors will not receive back-pay. They were just forced into limbo with no apparent way to recoup more than a month's lost wages.

Dear Wilbur Ross: My husband is a furloughed employee. We are a single-income family. Here's what the shutdown actually feels like.

By Katherine Zimmerman

A few days into this snowballing disaster of a partial government shutdown, President Donald Trump’s chief economic adviser Kevin Hasset made the mind-bending statement that this involuntary cessation of work is like a vacation for federal workers. On Monday, Trump’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, said the shutdown was causing “a little bit of pain,” but that future generations would thank furloughed workers for their sacrifice. And then on Thursday, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross told Bloomberg he “didn’t understand” why the shutdown was forcing some furloughed federal workers to seek out food banks and suggested they simply go to a real bank and snap up a loan.

Well Secretary Ross, my husband is a furloughed USDA employee. We are a single-income family. And let me tell you, we are neither on a vacation nor suffering just a “a little bit of pain.”

Continued here
Opinion | Dear Wilbur Ross: Furloughed workers like my husband are not on a "vacation"

Only losers depend on government contract work. No one cares. Better yet, how about you get another income coming into the home? A family is typically a team effort.

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here
You work for the government and know there is a continuing resolution every year. Prior planning if you don't have an emergency fund.

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here
You should be writing to Nancy Pelosi to tell her to stop playing games with border security so another shutdown won't be necessary.

And PS I could care less is USDA dependents feel pain. It serves them right.

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here
”I've seen it reported that the federal contractors will not receive back-pay.”

Trump often refused to pay contractors. How fitting the government does the same under his leadership.

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here
You should be writing to Nancy Pelosi to tell her to stop playing games with border security so another shutdown won't be necessary.
:cuckoo:

“If we don’t get what we want, one way or the other, whether it’s through you, through military, through anything you want to call, I will shut down the government. And I am proud. I’ll tell you what. I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. Because the people of this country don’t want criminals and people that have lots of problems and drugs pouring into our country. So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it. The last time you shut it down, it didn’t work. I will take the mantle of shutting down. I’m going to shut it down for border security.” ~ @realdonaldtrump, the government shut ‘er downer

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here

“If we don’t get what we want, one way or the other, whether it’s through you, through military, through anything you want to call, I will shut down the government. And I am proud. I’ll tell you what. I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. Because the people of this country don’t want criminals and people that have lots of problems and drugs pouring into our country. So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it. The last time you shut it down, it didn’t work. I will take the mantle of shutting down. I’m going to shut it down for border security.” ~ @realdonaldtrump, the government shut ‘er downer
So the question is, why was Pelosi playing games with border security when she knew it would lead to a shutdown? As you have previously pointed out, Schumer claimed he had offered Trump all the funding for border security he wanted in exchange for a path to citizenship for the so called "dreamers" so clearly the Democrats were not opposed to the border fence, so why did they force the shutdown over an issue they didn't oppose as a matter of policy?

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here

So the question is, why was Pelosi playing games with border security when she knew it would lead to a shutdown? As you have previously pointed out, Schumer claimed he had offered Trump all the funding for border security he wanted in exchange for a path to citizenship for the so called "dreamers" so clearly the Democrats were not opposed to the border fence, so why did they force the shutdown over an issue they didn't oppose as a matter of policy?
You have a mental disorder. I can’t help you there.

Trump shut the border down.

Period.

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here

Period.
Your ignorance is getting in the way of your understanding again. In 2013, three years before Trump became President, Chuck Schumer presented a bill to the Senate (S. 744) that provided billions of dollars for hundreds of border fence, more billions of dollars for surveillance and communications equipment to make it a smart fence, more money to hire thousands more Border Patrol agents, that ended the visa lottery and chain immigration, and provided a point system that would change our immigration rules so that people will be vetted on their ability to contribute to America rather than on the basis of family. Pretty much all the things Trump wants and every Democrat in the Senate voted in favor of this bill, so why did the Democrats oppose the same thing now that Trump was President knowing full well it would lead to a shutdown? Clearly, the woman should have sent her letter of complaint to Pelosi and Schumer instead of the President.

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here

Period.
Your ignorance is getting in the way of your understanding again. In 2013, three years before Trump became President, Chuck Schumer presented a bill to the Senate (S. 744) that provided billions of dollars for hundreds of border fence, more billions of dollars for surveillance and communications equipment to make it a smart fence, more money to hire thousands more Border Patrol agents, that ended the visa lottery and chain immigration, and provided a point system that would change our immigration rules so that people will be vetted on their ability to contribute to America rather than on the basis of family. Pretty much all the things Trump wants and every Democrat in the Senate voted in favor of this bill, so why did the Democrats oppose the same thing now that Trump was President knowing full well it would lead to a shutdown? Clearly, the woman should have sent her letter of complaint to Pelosi and Schumer instead of the President.
”In 2013, three years before Trump became President, Chuck Schumer presented a bill to the Senate (S. 744) that provided billions of dollars for hundreds of border fence”

And they built it. Now trump wants to rebuild it.

No dice.

I don't care about government workers. They prospered and grew fat during the Obama years while people in the private sector lost their homes and lost their jobs.

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here

Period.
”In 2013, three years before Trump became President, Chuck Schumer presented a bill to the Senate (S. 744) that provided billions of dollars for hundreds of border fence”

And they built it. Now trump wants to rebuild it.

No dice.
Once again, your understanding is limited by your ignorance. In 2006, the fence was built, but in 2013, the Democrats and Republicans wanted to build a better fence, but the bill included provisions for trying to find a path to citizenship for the estimated 11,000 illegals living in the US and while the bill passed the Senate by a large margin, the Republican controlled House refused to bring it to a vote and it never became law, but all the Democrats in the Senate, including many who serve in the Senate today supported everything that President Trump wants to do right up until the President said he wanted to do it. So clearly the Democrats' opposition to funding the fence has nothing to do with disagreeing with the President's policy on immigration but only with the fact there is a Republican in the WH now, and this shows the utter indifference of the Democrats and their supporters to the hardships caused by the shutdown, and that's why the letter should have been addressed to Pelosi and Schumer.

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here

Let Me help you with your highlighting problem.

By Katherine Zimmerman

Continued here

Thank the Dems for refusing to build a wall.

I don't care about government workers. They prospered and grew fat during the Obama years while people in the private sector lost their homes and lost their jobs.

That they did. They never experienced what the rest of the country did. They don't get fired. They don't get laid off. They get a cost of living increase each year. They live in a bubble and couldn't care less how everyone else had to live during those years.

As for back pay?? Anyone in the private sector ever get back pay when they were laid off or furloughed? I know they didn't.

I don't have a damn to give about their complaints.

Forum List

Back