Trump's Dieselgate?: How The GOP/BigOil Powers Intend To Smash Efficient Cars Again

In another respect, however, the scandal has been counterproductive. It may have started the demise of diesel cars and spurred the expansion of electric vehicles and hybrids, but it hasn't convinced governments -- as it should have -- that a carbon tax would work better than tough emission standards for cars.

Electric vehicles and hybrids are great; if they hone how to power them up. I've suggested linear fresnel solar thermal arrays to power "juicing" stations. Would be especially wonderful in areas like the Southwest, Southern California. I hear they have a few vehicles there...lol. 6 lanes packed bumper to bumper at rush hour would be better with solar/electric cars.

Diesels mitigate their emissions by how much more efficient they are. And they've become cleaner. How much smog do you remember seeing in European cities recently? All they drive over there are efficient small diesel cars. Either electric or diesel would be great. Diesel is what delivers low-end torque needed for larger loads and hauling so? I'd have one of both actually. Electric daily-driver and also a diesel for hauling hay and larger groups of passengers/luggage.

i can't wait for fusion (an energy with a future) fuel cells.
Solar thermal linear fresnel's future will last as long as the sun shines. I hope that's long enough for you in terms of centuries? And at night or on cloudy days the cogeneration oil or coal backup will run during the night for as long as coal or oil last (much shorter than the sun's life)

The left HATES big oil, and coal and natural gas. Why? Because corporations make billions of dollars off these natural resources the left feel belongs to the people e.g. government. They see other countries where the government owns these natural resources and it pisses them off to no end.

In another respect, however, the scandal has been counterproductive. It may have started the demise of diesel cars and spurred the expansion of electric vehicles and hybrids, but it hasn't convinced governments -- as it should have -- that a carbon tax would work better than tough emission standards for cars.

Electric vehicles and hybrids are great; if they hone how to power them up. I've suggested linear fresnel solar thermal arrays to power "juicing" stations. Would be especially wonderful in areas like the Southwest, Southern California. I hear they have a few vehicles there...lol. 6 lanes packed bumper to bumper at rush hour would be better with solar/electric cars.

Diesels mitigate their emissions by how much more efficient they are. And they've become cleaner. How much smog do you remember seeing in European cities recently? All they drive over there are efficient small diesel cars. Either electric or diesel would be great. Diesel is what delivers low-end torque needed for larger loads and hauling so? I'd have one of both actually. Electric daily-driver and also a diesel for hauling hay and larger groups of passengers/luggage.
There have been a lot of problems with pollution in Paris and other places, especially due to diesel. The horrible two strokes engines contribute, too, but as all internal combustion engines are so inefficient, the fault is common. Until we get past the dependence on this archaic technology, automobiles should be limited to no more than 1 liter displacement and 100 horsepower.

Overblown economic power is dangerous to democracies, even republican ones.

The left HATES big oil, and coal and natural gas. Why? Because corporations make billions of dollars off these natural resources the left feel belongs to the people e.g. government. They see other countries where the government owns these natural resources and it pisses them off to no end.
No, if oil and coal burning were benign and did not hurt the environment, the left would love to power their iphones off of that grid. Those corporations could make EVEN MORE money by corralling a monopoly on linear Fresnel solar thermal power generation with carbon backup systems for night and rain. Then charging the same rate the 300 days + those power plants in the Southwest don't need to burn fuel. So you're dead wrong about what you just said.

I for one (centrist) would be perfectly happy paying the same rate for power I buy, even if the power companies were getting it for free 300 days out of the year and charging me as if they had to buy oil or coal instead for those days. Wouldn't care a bit. And why? Because I think it's cool power companies exist for my convenience. I just think that we need to teach their CEOs that their addiction to fouling our planet to make zillion$ is completely unnecessary. And that their fabulous wealth can be INCREASED by using linear solar fresnel steam turbines.

Infinitely more elastic and flexible Mexico is going to beat us to the punch on that technology anyway. Spain, France, Morocco and all the warm countries are already in a race to build these plants. Will we miss our opportunity to skim massive wealth all because a bunch of lazy oil men can't get their shit together to join the 21st Century(and are pinning Congressional necks to the ground to stay stuck)? Switch your assets, pad more pockets in Congress you dumbfucks and make MORE MONEY! This could be a boon for the US like no other. We could be selling clean power to Canada instead of building another dumbass oil dinosaur pipeline for a dubious and foul and expensive debt to Canada in the end.

Last edited:
No, if oil and coal burning were benign and did not hurt the environment, the left would love to power their iphones off of that grid. Those corporations could make EVEN MORE money by corralling a monopoly on linear Fresnel solar thermal power generation with carbon backup systems for night and rain. Then charging the same rate the 300 days + those power plants in the Southwest don't need to burn fuel. So you're dead wrong about what you just said.

I for one (centrist) would be perfectly happy paying the same rate for power I buy, even if the power companies were getting it for free 300 days out of the year and charging me as if they had to buy oil or coal instead for those days. Wouldn't care a bit. And why? Because I think it's cool power companies exist for my convenience. I just think that we need to teach their CEOs that their addiction to fouling our planet to make zillion$ is completely unnecessary. And that their fabulous wealth can be INCREASED by using linear solar fresnel steam turbines.

Infinitely more elastic and flexible Mexico is going to beat us to the punch on that technology anyway. Spain, France, Morocco and all the warm countries are already in a race to build these plants. Will we miss our opportunity to skim massive wealth all because a bunch of lazy oil men can't get their shit together to join the 21st Century? Switch your assets, pad more pockets in Congress you dumbfucks and make MORE MONEY! This could be a boon for the US like no other. We could be selling clean power to Canada instead of building another dumbass oil dinosaur pipeline for a dubious and foul and expensive debt to Canada in the end.

The environment? Since when is the left concerned about the environment? Liberals pave over the environment with concrete obliterating it in their many cities. These inner city boils on the planet routinely spill raw sewage into public waterways. They generate mountains of garbage. They spew pollution into the air. When the left cleans up these cesspools then they can talk shit about pollution.

People who want to conserve the environment can only be considered wrong by those who do not favor conservation. Conservatively speaking, it is desirable not to poison the air, water and ground.

People who want to conserve the environment can only be considered wrong by those who do not favor conservation. Conservatively speaking, it is desirable not to poison the air, water and ground.
Yes, squandering our natural resources like fresh water, air and subsoil structures is never in the conservative interest. Conservatives like the promise of a renewing source of resources for future financial profit.

the left knows what the words, fossil fuel, mean; unlike the right.

the left knows what the words, fossil fuel, mean; unlike the right.

Apparently the left understand incoherent, an ancient language that died out.

I understand now suddenly BigOil wants to link the thing that happened with VW to it's top people. Because otherwise it might look like industrial sabotage in the ways I outlined here. "The investigation is being reopened!!" ....Curious...

I wonder if Wikileaks will monitor the investigators themselves? Would be kind of funny..This little theater performance has all the hallmarks of becoming a blockbuster movie..

F.B.I. Arrests Volkswagen Executive on Conspiracy Charge in Emissions Scandal
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/...-emissions-investigation-settlement.html?_r=0

You just have to wonder why a major car company whose bread and butter largely came from US consumers would do something they had to know would've been discovered eventually...even by a numbskull mechanic with a code-scanner. I just find that sabotage of their own sales curious. Germans are usually much smarter than that.

It just stinks of industrial sabotage. The cars were great, getting more popular, and VERY efficient....using diesel which can be made even greener by cutting with biofuels...and "viola!" these cars "have to be banned from US markets now". Citing emissions...which would get outrage from both sides of the aisle.. How very convenient eh? And the timing..right as the GOP knew there would be a regime change in 2017.. Rex T. would be proud.

Last edited:
VW fears a reboot of its core brand in the U.S. could be delayed by six months or more if it fails to reach a deal with the outgoing administration, as the new Justice Department team would need time to get organized, a source at VW told Reuters.

VW plans to drop diesel vehicles in the U.S. and refocus on SUVs and electric cars to try to revive its fortunes after the emissions scandal. Volkswagen CEO to stay away from Detroit auto show

Gas cars buy....well....gas. And gas SUV's get the worst mileage of all. Electric cars have to run on....well...electricity generated by...well...ultimately fossil fuels (as the regulations will go under a Rex T./Trump administration). So, to recap, extremely efficient diesels that can be cut with biofuels will no longer be available from their best maker (VW) in the US. The US consumers will be forced to buy bigger, heavier, underpowered, snow-plow nosed SUVs for their daily drivers. And then other industries will wonder why their sales are dropping when the American budget has to cover transportation costs to and from work...as the GOP balks at pay raises for the working poor.

And the economic growth will grind to a halt again all so a couple of rich, conniving assholes can make EVEN MORE GOBS OF MONEY!!!!

Here's how negotiations with VW are going:

Uncle Rex T.: "Well Hanz und Franz, you're in deep shit for this emissions thing. And though we don't have direct ties to you being the culprit, our mole..er..I mean your employee at the head of directing the emissions flaw is directly under your control."

VW: "We want to retool our line of small efficient commuter daily drivers to meet your standards. We're sorry...."

Uncle Rex T: "tsk tsk.. No, that's not quite good enough. No more of your diesels in the US. Sorry."

VW: "we promise we'll make them comply!"

Uncle Rex T. "...no...no see...you're not getting it. You're not in the negotiation position here. However, if you agree to never import small efficient diesels again, we'll let you off the hook, OK?

VW: "Sure, I guess we have no choice."

Well that was neatly accomplished BigOil!

I notice VW is advertising a bigger, gas-guzzling SUV. Now where are our assurances that they haven't tampered with those vehicles? Why are those vehicles exempt? Shouldn't VW as a whole be punished for all their products for deception? What makes them "suddenly honest" when it comes to their bigger, non-efficient cars? Shouldn't the question of MORE emissions from A to B be examined with respect to environmental concerns with VW? Or is it not really about environmental concerns after all....but instead about BigOil and maintaining a "choice" of vehicles in the US to consumers that are in no way efficient at all?...
The 2018 Volkswagen Atlas three-row crossover is here
"This is the biggest and boldest Volkswagen we have ever built in the United States, delivering the distinctive design and craftsmanship we're known for, now with room for seven," Hinrich Woebcken, CEO Volkswagen's North America region, said in a statement. "The Atlas marks a brand-new journey for Volkswagen to enter into the heart of the American market."..

..The Atlas offers a 3.6-liter narrow-angle six-cylinder engine rated at 280 horsepower or a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that makes 238 hp. Both come with an eight-speed automatic transmission. Volkswagen's 4Motion all-wheel drive is an option on the six-cylinder model

Oh lookie, a big fat SUV with a cheaper, underpowered version which will sell more because people aren't rich these days. And guess what that means? More fuel to buy to get to work and back (less to spend each month on other industries...sorry US economy!). And a bonus is the front end is shaped like a snow plow, just like all the other "new" American cars.

Note the CEO indicates that big clunky cars are their mandate for staying in American markets. Watson...I think we're onto something here. I smell industrial sabotage and BigOil politics.. Let's hear more...

Listen to this BULLSHIT:
With uncertainty still swirling over the diesel-emissions scandal, Volkswagen needs a winner – something to completely change its image and bring in new buyers. The timing couldn't be better. Volkswagen has long thought globally, though that has often meant it never truly understood the US market. Finally, Atlas gives Volkswagen a real chance in America.

Never truly understood the America market??? (the truth redacted since 2010)...

Why You Want It 2005-2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI: Used Car Review - Autotrader
The most obvious reason you'll want a 2005-06 or 2009-10 Jetta TDI diesel is for the fuel economy. While the EPA rates the Jetta TDI around 30-mpg city and 40-mpg highway, many owners report that after a short break in period (around 10,000 miles) the highway economy numbers jump to as high as 50 mpg. The Jetta is a roomy, fun-to-drive car with a high attention to detail that outshines just about every other compact and midsize car in its class. If you're looking for more room than a conventional sedan provides, the Jetta TDI is also available in wagon form in model years 2009 and 2010 with either a manual or automatic transmission...

...more... (back when BigOil jacked artificially the price of diesel to discourage people from buying Jettas, & other VW tdi (diesels)...
(a diesel engine actually produces about 30-percent less greenhouse gas emissions than a gasoline engine), and that diesel costs more than gasoline, sometimes by as much as ten cents a gallon. OK, that last point is one worth considering, but remember this. While it may cost you a buck or two more to fill the TDI's tank, you can drive almost 600 miles before needing a refill. If you're only filling up once or twice a month vs. three or four times, then in the end, it's your monthly fuel bill that really matters, not the extra $1.50 is cost to fill the tank, right?
....more...

Competitive Set
As there are no other diesel cars in the Jetta's price range sold in the U.S., we think it is best to compare it to other high mileage cars.

Right there is key. Oh, they'll offer token American-made commuter diesels with fabulous mileage, but you're gonna pay through the nose for them. ie: it's the same as not even offering them to the general public. Mission accomplished!

To corner and monopolize the market of big gas guzzlers, it's imperative for BigOil to make damn sure consumers don't see regular examples of affordable alternatives putting around on the highways....

We are literally going to head into another recession if BigOil and their Detroit whores are allowed this second-coming of 1970s strong-arm monopoly of gas guzzlers and clunkers. If people are paying way more (and polluting way more because of the need for more fuel to go the same distance) to get to work and back on wages they can barely survive on now, how the hell are they going to have any money left to spend on other industries?

Essentially, other industries are unaware that BigOil intends to siphon the last great hope we had for an evenly-distributed economic boon to help restore the economy.

Last edited:
From last post:
This is the biggest and boldest Volkswagen we have ever built in the United States, delivering the distinctive design and craftsmanship we're known for, now with room for seven," Hinrich Woebcken, CEO Volkswagen's North America region, said in a statement. "The Atlas marks a brand-new journey for Volkswagen to enter into the heart of the American market."..

Yeah, because the "big demand" for daily-drivers are for those that have "room for seven"....and get TERRIBLE gas mileage. So far I've not seen a link to the actual mileage either the larger-powered (more expensive/less bought) or under-powered (less expensive, predominantly bought) VW Atlas gets. And that means it's not good news... A big, heavy SUV with a tiny 2.0 liter engine. Golly, I'll bet it gets what, like 10mpg city and 14 highway?

I want to see data on why VW must be trusted for a model that will dump way more fuel gases into the environment while at the same time "we cannot trust VW's small diesel commuters because of "emission concerns!". Aren't the same people running the same shop??? Either we scrutinize all their products or we don't. Yep, there's definitely something fishy going on...

Last edited:
Gas prices will dictate things. Now I fully will stake my life on the idea that big oil is not trustworthy. Big oil does whatever it wants without worrying about anything. In the end though, let people xdrive what they want.

Gas prices will dictate things. Now I fully will stake my life on the idea that big oil is not trustworthy. Big oil does whatever it wants without worrying about anything. In the end though, let people xdrive what they want.
So rigging the pricing of fuels will dictate things now? They tried that before and it worked...temporarily...but even with a dollar fifty difference in price it was still more economical to fill up diesel and drive a TDI than it was a gas guzzler SUV. (see post #75)

The millions and millions of drivers who live in cities in mild climates like where most people live in the US do not need all-wheel/all the time drive features and 7-seater underpowered heavy SUVs as their daily driver. You ever see the rush hour in LA?

These people need to be getting really good fuel economy for a number of reasons stated previously from environmental to the American economy as a whole:

obamatraffic1_092611-e1316913232186.jpg

Last edited:
Let's pretend all those cars ^^ are Teslas, hybrids and VW tdi diesels getting 50mpg highway (or better)...BigOil thinks that replacing all those cars with underpowered 12mpg highway all-wheel all the time SUVs will decrease greenhouse emissions.. and be "better for the environment". Really? Burning 4 times the amount of fuel for all those cars will somehow decrease carbon in our atmosphere?

There is no conspiracy. As long as fuel prices are low, people are going to buy big gas guzzling SUVs and trucks.

An SUV is way more comfortable than driving around in a soda can. And safer, and higher off the ground.

Forum List

Back