Trump & Truth

Sixties Fan

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2017
[I will be posting what Trump has said in his own words]

The disruptive impacts of Donald Trump's presidency continue to wreak havoc in America and influence politics abroad. Two years after losing the presidency, is his influence behind him or is his MAGA movement still a force to be reckoned with? Steve Paikin discusses this with veteran investigative journalist Bob Woodward.

----------------------

Part 1

I recently viewed and listened to a fascinating interview, conducted in Toronto, Canada, with Bob Woodward. For those of you who don’t know who he is, please “Google” him. I have followed his career since his days as an almost cub reporter for the Washington Post when, together with Carl Bernstein, he exposed President Richard Nixon’s crimes in the so-called “Watergate Affair.”

The video I am recommending is on Youtube and is titled “Truth and Trump: An Evening with Bob Woodward | TVO Today Live.” It’s a relatively long video, but in it Woodward reveals some very interesting information and thoughts about not only Donald Trump but also Richard Nixon.

Woodward is not a partisan in politics. He is one journalist of a dying breed who is unstained by scandal or ideological commitments. He reminds me of Walter Cronkite of old, but the two are, of course, very different in that Cronkite was a news reporter while Woodward is and has been an investigative journalist.

So why is this video important? Woodward, as many already know (but I am keeping in mind my readers outside the U.S.), was given very direct access to Trump during his presidency. He spent many hours with Trump, mostly one-on-one, and there are recordings of their conversations. The result was a book by Woodward based on his very lengthy and in depth conversations with the president. Only Trump has accused Woodward of deceiving his readers. As Woodward notes, however, all of the conversations were recorded except a few times when Trump asked him to turn off the recording device.

Part 2

Even if you have read the book Woodward wrote, based on these extensive conversations with Trump, you may be enlightened, shocked, angered, and/or smugly satisfied by this interview.

Personally, I am very impressed with Woodward as an investigative journalist and have been since the early 1970s.

Like many American conservative Christians I grew up in a home that was, in the 1960s especially, extremely political. I remember many anti-communist books and magazines including “literature” made by the supporters of Senator McCarthy and the anti-communist congressional committee he headed up. My parents admired FBI director Hoover and Richard Nixon. My stepmother was virulently anti-communist to the point of believing in conspiracy theories. For example, when Kennedy was elected president she loudly predicted that the pope would rule America and that there would never again be a non-Catholic president. She refused to believe that there was real tension between the Soviet Union and China and declared that it was a communist lie to seduce America and “the free world” into believing that a communist take over was not in the planning. She fully supported America’s involvement in the Vietnam War and considered war protesters traitors. Then, when the crimes of Watergate were revealed and Nixon voluntarily resigned the presidency, she declared that it was all a communist conspiracy and that Nixon was innocent and being framed by communists within the U.S. government. By that time I was old enough to doubt what I heard at home and think for myself.

Part 3

That was what I had to overcome and break free from and breaking free from it, and leaving Pentecostalism, was extremely difficult because both virulent anti-communism of that kind (think Billy James Hargis) and passionate Pentecostalism (we were the only Spirit-filled Christians) were part and parcel of my family, including many of my in-laws and extended relatives. Thinking differently, and letting my different thoughts be known (e.g., that the real threat to America was fascism, not communism) made me an outsider.

Bob Woodward was one individual who, although I never met him, impressed me as an independent thinker, not ideologically driven, but suspicious of power and willing to risk his career and reputation to expose power’s abuses in the United States and elsewhere.

This video interview (“Truth and Trump: An Evening with Bob Woodward | TVO Today Live”) is especially interesting, of nothing else, because, and nobody I now denies this, for whatever reason, Trump gave Woodward frequent and lengthy access to him and revealed things to him directly that are not classified in any way but are nevertheless very telling about Trump’s ideas about himself and others he liked and disliked and why.

Now, know this: I personally, speaking only for myself, am not a fan of President Biden or the Democratic Party. I am a fan of Bob Woodward and believe we need many more journalists like him. I would like to see him do the same with Biden as he did with Trump, but Trump invited him to do it. Biden would have to invite him to do it and give him the same access Trump gave him. A big question that Woodward himself cannot answer is why Trump gave him such direct, frequent and honest access to himself, not only as president but as a person.

Very interestingly, Woodward says in the interview that he thinks it is very possible that Trump will re-win the White House in 2024. He tells some stories about encounters with Trump supporters and why he is likely to win if nothing prevents his election (such as illness).

I watched former South Carolina governor Nikki Haley’s announcement of her candidacy for the Republican nomination for the presidency. I have to say she has guts. I am not a fan, but I agree with her that it’s time for “new blood” in government. The oldsters need to step aside and let a new generation lead. And I hope our next president will be a woman because we’ve never had a woman president and it’s time we did.

The disruptive impacts of Donald Trump's presidency continue to wreak havoc in America and influence politics abroad. Two years after losing the presidency, is his influence behind him or is his MAGA movement still a force to be reckoned with? Steve Paikin discusses this with veteran investigative journalist Bob Woodward.

----------------------

"posting what Trump has said in his own words", well I should hope so. If you posted what Biden said, well good luck with that. All his words are on the teleprompter. If you post Kamala's words, no one would understand a damn thing.

Author and veteran journalist Bob Woodward conducted 18 interviews with President Donald Trump for his new book, “Rage.” The wide-ranging conversations are a fascinating glimpse behind the scenes.

At times, Trump is serious and focused, divulging stunning details about his handling of the coronavirus and a new secret nuclear weapons system. In other interviews, Trump tries to show off and impress Woodward – giving a tour of the Oval Office, discussing his preference for long neckties, and showing Woodward the hideaway office, which he smirked and called the “Monica Room,” a reference to Monica Lewinsky.

(full article online)

----------------------

Bob Woodward is a joke.

A bad one.

Add another election lie to the long, long list.

Former President Donald Trump has tried for nearly two and a half years to convince Americans that he was the rightful winner of the 2020 presidential election he lost fair and square to Joe Biden. He is still trying today, in 2023, as he seeks the Republican presidential nomination once more.

But Trump’s latest supposed piece of evidence, like his previous supposed pieces of evidence, is complete bunk.

In a speech to a Republican gathering in Florida on Friday, during which he repeated his usual lie that the 2020 election was “rigged and stolen,” Trump pointedly noted that Biden got more votes than Trump in fewer than a fifth of US counties in 2020. Trump then said, “Nothing like this has ever happened before. Usually it’s very equal, or – but the winner always had the most counties.”

Facts First: Trump’s claim that the winner of every presidential election before 2020 always carried the most counties is false. The two previous Democratic winners before Biden, Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012 and Bill Clinton in 1992 and 1996, carried a minority of counties in each of their victories. Obama won about 28% of counties in his 2008 victory and even fewer, about 22% of counties, in his 2012 victory, according to figures provided to CNN by David Wasserman, a prominent analyst of election data who is a senior editor at The Cook Political Report with Amy Walter. Like Biden, Obama won the national popular vote by millions even as he carried fewer than a third of counties.

Biden carried about 17% of counties while beating Trump in 2020, a smaller percentage of counties than Obama carried while winning in 2008 and 2012, but there is nothing odd about the 2020 figure. In fact, it’s easy to explain. Land doesn’t vote, people do. In the current political era, Democratic presidential candidates have tended to be dominant in the most populous counties, some of which have hundreds of thousands or even millions of people, while Republicans have tended to do best in areas with fewer residents.

“There is nothing suspicious about winning the presidency with a smaller number of counties,” William Frey, a senior fellow at The Brookings Institution think tank, said in an email. “Counties vary widely in size, with large urban and suburban counties – areas where Biden did best – housing far larger populations than most of the outer suburb, small town and rural counties that Trump won.”

Here’s an example of why winning a county is not inherently significant. Trump handily carried Loving County, Texas, in 2020 – but that county had an estimated mid-2020 population of 65 people. Biden, conversely, handily carried Harris County, Texas, which had an estimated mid-2020 population of 4.7 million people.

If you’re counting all county victories as equal, that’s a tie, one county for Trump and one county for Biden. But Biden netted more than 217,000 extra votes from the 1-for-1 trade.

The split between vote totals, which determine who wins the election, and the counties-carried tally, which is an inconsequential matter of trivia, could keep getting wider. Said Frey, a well-known demographer: “The residents of Biden-won counties represent faster growing parts of the population – people of color, college graduates, foreign born and single people – than those the that dominate Trump counties. Trump counties will continue to grow more slowly than Biden counties.”

The county numbers for Clinton, Obama and Biden​

Here is what happened in the last five presidential elections won by Democrats; all of these candidates lost a majority of counties while comfortably winning the Electoral College and popular vote. The county figures are all courtesy of Wasserman. He excluded Alaska, which uses a system of boroughs rather than counties.

Bill Clinton, 1992: Won 1,524 counties out of 3,112, or about 49%. Won the Electoral College 370 to 168. Won the popular vote by 5.81 million.

Bill Clinton, 1996: Again won 1,524 counties out of 3,112, or about 49%. Won the Electoral College 379 to 159. Won the popular vote by 8.20 million.

Barack Obama, 2008: Won 875 counties out of 3,113, or about 28%. Won the Electoral College 365 to 173. Won the popular vote by 9.55 million.

Barack Obama, 2012: Won 693 counties out of 3,113, or about 22%. Won the Electoral College 332 to 206. Won the popular vote by 4.98 million.

Joe Biden, 2020: Won 538 counties out of 3,113, or about 17%. Won the Electoral College 306 to 232. Won the popular vote by 7.06 million.

Coup confession bomb explodes: See Trump's own words used as criminal evidence​

Full Phone Call: Trump Pressures Georgia Secretary of State To Recount Election Votes​

----------------------

why is it politicians telling the truth only become an issue with trump when everyone before him lied just as much if not more??

FFS the guy in office right now lies constantly,,

Forum List

Back