Trump Says He Wants To Cut ‘70 To 80 Percent’ Of Regulations

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
But he loves clean air as much as the next guy.

It can be notoriously difficult to pin down Donald Trump on the finer points of policy. But on Monday morning, the Republican presidential nominee put forth a surprisingly specific proposal: He is going to cut “70 to 80 percent” of federal regulations if he wins the White House.

Trump, lagging badly in the polls, made his anti-regulatory vow while speaking at a farmers’ roundtable in Boynton Beach, a town in the must-win state of Florida. The real estate mogul did not explain how his administration would determine which rules to axe, or how they would go about accomplishing such an unprecedented rollback through executive fiat.

“We want clean air, we want clean water,” Trump said. “But we have and you have situations and regulations, which we’re gonna cut ― we will probably cut 70 to 80 percent of the regulations, OK?”

The Republican nominee told farmers that the regulatory oversight of the Environmental Protection Agency, a favorite target of his, was simply too much to bear. The federal agency that enforces clean air and water laws has been a “total disaster,” and regulations on the whole “have been a total catastrophe,” he said.

Trump clarified, however, that he likes fresh air as much as the next person. “Look, we all believe in environment,” he said. “I mean, my primary thing with the environment ― immaculate air, beautiful clean air, and crystal clean water. That’s it. Once you go beyond that, you start to lose all of us, OK?”

Facing an increasingly narrow path through the electoral college, Trump has been banging the anti-regulation drum hard in recent days, starting with his “contract with the American voter.” In that agenda, Trump says that he will require that two regulations be repealed for every new one that goes into effect, offering no rationalefor that seemingly arbitrary ratio.

A President Trump might be surprised by how difficult it would be to repeal 70 to 80 percent of federal regulations. A president could undo certain regulations that are established through executive action, and effectively weaken others by choosing not to enforce them much. But businesses mostly face regulations that have been established by Congress, through laws like the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act. Congress would therefore have to undo such laws.

Trump has gone so far as to claim that the nation’s coal barons are practically starving, thanks to regulations.

“I have friends that own the mines. I mean, they can’t live,” Trump said at a Pennsylvania campaign event in August. “The restrictions environmentally are so unbelievable where inspectors come two and three times a day, and they can’t afford it any longer and they’re closing all the mines. … It’s not going to happen anymore, folks. We’re going to use our heads.”

Donald Trump Says He Wants To Cut '70 To 80 Percent' Of Regulations

Wow, coal barons are "practically starving". I feel so sorry for coal barons. Trump wants to protect them. Trump apparently fails to appreciate that mine inspectors are trying to protect the employees.

Last edited:
I repeat from the OP:

Trump has gone so far as to claim that the nation’s coal barons are practically starving, thanks to regulations.

“I have friends that own the mines. I mean, they can’t live,” Trump said at a Pennsylvania campaign event in August. “The restrictions environmentally are so unbelievable where inspectors come two and three times a day, and they can’t afford it any longer and they’re closing all the mines. … It’s not going to happen anymore, folks. We’re going to use our heads.”

It can be notoriously difficult to pin down Donald Trump on the finer points of policy. But on Monday morning, the Republican presidential nominee put forth a surprisingly specific proposal: He is going to cut “70 to 80 percent” of federal regulations if he wins the White House.

Trump, lagging badly in the polls, made his anti-regulatory vow while speaking at a farmers’ roundtable in Boynton Beach, a town in the must-win state of Florida. The real estate mogul did not explain how his administration would determine which rules to axe, or how they would go about accomplishing such an unprecedented rollback through executive fiat.

“We want clean air, we want clean water,” Trump said. “But we have and you have situations and regulations, which we’re gonna cut ― we will probably cut 70 to 80 percent of the regulations, OK?”

The Republican nominee told farmers that the regulatory oversight of the Environmental Protection Agency, a favorite target of his, was simply too much to bear. The federal agency that enforces clean air and water laws has been a “total disaster,” and regulations on the whole “have been a total catastrophe,” he said.

Trump clarified, however, that he likes fresh air as much as the next person. “Look, we all believe in environment,” he said. “I mean, my primary thing with the environment ― immaculate air, beautiful clean air, and crystal clean water. That’s it. Once you go beyond that, you start to lose all of us, OK?”

Facing an increasingly narrow path through the electoral college, Trump has been banging the anti-regulation drum hard in recent days, starting with his “contract with the American voter.” In that agenda, Trump says that he will require that two regulations be repealed for every new one that goes into effect, offering no rationalefor that seemingly arbitrary ratio.

A President Trump might be surprised by how difficult it would be to repeal 70 to 80 percent of federal regulations. A president could undo certain regulations that are established through executive action, and effectively weaken others by choosing not to enforce them much. But businesses mostly face regulations that have been established by Congress, through laws like the Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act. Congress would therefore have to undo such laws.

Wow, coal barons are "practically starving". I feel so sorry for coal barons. Trump wants to protect them.

I disagree with Mr. Trump on that issue.

The ONLY regulation that should be allowed is the one provided by the invisible hand of the marketplace.

But Mr. Trump is the BEST candidate so I will vote for him.

How do you assure corporations and people in general won't pollute our environment and society in general without regulations? You can't...I'd probably even agree with 10% as not all regulations make sense but this is too much.

"Donald Trump Says He Wants To Cut '70 To 80 Percent' Of Regulations"

Further proof that Trump has no business being president.

Further proof that Trump has nothing but contempt for sound, responsible governance.

And further proof that Trump holds in disdain necessary, proper, and Constitutional regulatory policy as authorized by the Commerce Clause.

Thankfully Trump will never be president.

Wow, coal barons are "practically starving". I feel so sorry for coal barons. Trump wants to protect them.

I disagree with Mr. Trump on that issue.

The ONLY regulation that should be allowed is the one provided by the invisible hand of the marketplace.

But Mr. Trump is the BEST candidate so I will vote for him.

Bwa ha ha ha, yeah, the "invisible hand", pfffffffffffffffffft.

Yeah...........as soon as you get rid of the regulations, you invite a whole bunch of unethical behavior from CEO's looking to save a buck or two on getting rid of their waste.

I mean............look at all the toxic spills we've had in just the past 10 years.

And no.................there is no such thing as "clean coal".

Yeah...........as soon as you get rid of the regulations, you invite a whole bunch of unethical behavior from CEO's looking to save a buck or two on getting rid of their waste.

I mean............look at all the toxic spills we've had in just the past 10 years.

And no.................there is no such thing as "clean coal".

Amen! Thank you!

Most people even conservatives don't want to eat food from China. Why? Because their food safety regulations suck. No modern first world civilization can remain so without such regulations.

I'd have to buy my food from Canada if this jerk did this.

For a guy that don't pay any corporate taxes, who freely abuses those that do, ie his contractors, who gets all his info. from washed up leaders like Newt and Guliani and conservative blogs....the last person on earth I would trust with our fucked up government is this moron.

Trump Says He Wants To Cut ‘70 To 80 Percent’ Of Regulations

Sounds about right.

Do we really need regulations that forbid incandescent light bulbs?

And that regulate the size of our toilets?

The regulations have absolutely screwed many industries. He knows what he is talking about, but the idiotic regressives who can't name a single regulation are of course going "my airs", when as usual that's not what he is talking about.

There have been studies that say USA would be 4x wealthier without the gargantuan regulatory arm. Now, you can't even comprehend how well that money could be used to truly improve the environment.

images
Dear lord, please please please let Trump win...so's white folk can feel what its like to be a slave bitch to bullshitin white men.

The regulations have absolutely screwed many industries. He knows what he is talking about, but the idiotic regressives who can't name a single regulation are of course going "my airs", when as usual that's not what he is talking about.

There have been studies that say USA would be 4x wealthier without the gargantuan regulatory arm.
Yeah, like that big bankin crash a few years ago. Deregulations is good....stupid mf'

I repeat from the OP:

Anyone Born With a Silver Spoon in His Mouth Will Always Speak With a Forked Tongue

Big Oil competes with coal. They shut the mines down; just like British Petroleum did to England's coal industry. Don't ever believe in the sincerity of the Trustfundie Treehuggers; they are only loyal to the class they were born in.

There have been studies that say USA would be 4x wealthier without the gargantuan regulatory arm. Now, you can't even comprehend how well that money could be used to truly improve the environment.

You mean CORPORATIONS and CEO's would be 4x wealthier. That increase in income wouldn't trickle down to the workers, nor would it be used to help out the environment either.

Why? People are greedy, and any increase in revenue would be used to line the pockets of the executives, not paying the workers better or taking care of the environment.

Forum List

Back