Trump misses his "McCain" moment

well, who do you support ??

There are aspects of Trump's stances that I fully support (e.g., his stance on not accepting bribes from special interest groups, and taxing more heavily billionaires who earn millions by simple key-strokes on a computer, etc.)

However, Trump's demagoguery and narcissism borders on major character flaws, perhaps tolerable in a boardroom but certainly not in the oval office.

Bottom line: I'd support a Kasich in the GOP camp, and a Biden in the Dems. camp.

well, who do you support ??

There are aspects of Trump's stances that I fully support (e.g., his stance on not accepting bribes from special interest groups, and taxing more heavily billionaires who earn millions by simple key-strokes on a computer, etc.)

However, Trump's demagoguery and narcissism borders on major character flaws, perhaps tolerable in a boardroom but certainly not in the oval office.

Bottom line: I'd support a Kasich in the GOP camp, and a Biden in the Dems. camp.
that's safe.

If he were a more experienced politician, he would have known how to handle it. Add to the fact that he's, well, Trump, and he gave folks some fodder.

Although I mostly agree. we cannot "excuse" Trump's lack of spine when faced with that series of questions by a bigoted nut, as "inexperience."

We can excuse inexperience when someone does not really know the difference between Qud and Kurd......BUT, refusing to acknowledge Obama as a U.S. citizen is plain out, cowardice.
That's why I also mentioned him being Trump. He's clearly trying to adopt and leverage the absolutist communication tactics of his base, so he's essentially paralyzed from giving an inch or admitting just about anything that is contrary to his schtick.

I think that most politicians and most partisans on both ends are burdened with an intellectual kill-switch that makes it very difficult for them to say, "okay, hold it, my side is getting a little nuts here, this isn't right". And that's one of our biggest obstacles in solving problems.

Trump is so full of juice right now that tapping the brakes, even a bit, may be too much for his ego.

Last edited:
I wasn't on the stage on Wednesday...or was I?

I did not realize that your statement about not responding to insults was ONLY meant in the context of one specific incident.

Trump is incapable of ignoring any criticism without coming back with a personal insult

One of the reasons he is not suited to be President

McCain did not "criticize" Trump, he insulted Trump's supporters, and thus Trump himself.

Trump responded to a personal attack with a personal attack.

COmpletely reasonable.
McCain was 100% correct about Trumps supporters
He is attracting the crazies as was evident in the we need to get rid of the Muslims question yesterday

When are Republicans going to stand up to the crazies and let them know they have no place in the Republican Party?

McCain did it....Trump won't
define crazy.

Birther, racist, conspiracy theorist, fag hater.

Trump is so full of juice right now that tapping the brakes, even a bit, may be too much for his ego.

Of course, you're correct.....Trump's ego "trumps" (with apologies for the term) common sense.

Trump had a quick decision to make when addressed by that idiot in NH...
Do I reject this nut and throw thousands of my backers into Cruz or Santorum's camp...........OR...............do I silently acquiesce to that insanity and forgo the backing of thousands of sane republicans who are still "sitting on the fence.".

If he were a more experienced politician, he would have known how to handle it. Add to the fact that he's, well, Trump, and he gave folks some fodder.

Although I mostly agree. we cannot "excuse" Trump's lack of spine when faced with that series of questions by a bigoted nut, as "inexperience."

We can excuse inexperience when someone does not really know the difference between Qud and Kurd......BUT, refusing to acknowledge Obama as a U.S. citizen is plain out, cowardice.
That's why I also mentioned him being Trump. He's clearly trying to adopt and leverage the absolutist communication tactics of his base, so he's essentially paralyzed from giving an inch or admitting just about anything that is contrary to his schtick.

I think that most politicians and most partisans on both ends are burdened with an intellectual kill-switch that makes it very difficult for them to say, "okay, hold it, my side is getting a little nuts here, this isn't right". And that's one of our biggest obstacles in solving problems.

except he hasn't changed...

Any sane voter should also understand that the federal government CANNOT be run like a business enterprise....there are many ethical and socially responsible issues that businesses forgo for he sake of profit.

Perhaps Trump could be a good Sec. of Commerce, but as president, he'd be a catastrophe.

Of course, you're correct.....Trump's ego "trumps" (with apologies for the term) common sense. Trump had a quick decision to make when addressed by that idiot in NH... Do I reject this nut and throw thousands of my backers into Cruz or Santorum's camp...........OR...............do I silently acquiesce to that insanity and forgo the backing of thousands of sane republicans who are still "sitting on the fence.".
Precisely.

Come to think of it, it could have been worse. He clearly tried to get past the question and move on, but imagine what he COULD have said if he had tried to engage a LITTLE.

Holy crap, the potential there.

You for one.

I wasn't on the stage on Wednesday...or was I?

I did not realize that your statement about not responding to insults was ONLY meant in the context of one specific incident.

Trump is incapable of ignoring any criticism without coming back with a personal insult

One of the reasons he is not suited to be President

McCain did not "criticize" Trump, he insulted Trump's supporters, and thus Trump himself.

Trump responded to a personal attack with a personal attack.

COmpletely reasonable.
McCain was 100% correct about Trumps supporters
He is attracting the crazies as was evident in the we need to get rid of the Muslims question yesterday

When are Republicans going to stand up to the crazies and let them know they have no place in the Republican Party?

McCain did it....Trump won't

THat is your opinion and off topic.

You have implicitly agreed with me, that McCain insulted Trump's supporters and thus Trump himself.

Thus a personal attack was met with another personal attack.

This was not "criticism".

THus your point that this "proves" Trump is not fit to be president is disproven. (ie that he responds to criticism with personal attacks)

Do you feel better now? Since a serious contender has been proven to be worthy of the job?

YOu going to vote for him now?

Any sane voter should also understand that the federal government CANNOT be run like a business enterprise....there are many ethical and socially responsible issues that businesses forgo for he sake of profit.

Perhaps Trump could be a good Sec. of Commerce, but as president, he'd be a catastrophe.
He'd be a disaster as a member of a cabinet as well.

What about Obama's "lack of spine" when he sat if a "bigoted nut's" church for twenty years?

Or was that somehow better for some reason?

What about Obama's "lack of spine" when he sat if a "bigoted nut's" church for twenty years?

Or was that somehow better for some reason?

If I state that Obama "lacked spine" in denouncing Wright, will you OPENLY admit that Trump is also a weak-kneed candidate???

Forum List

Back