Trump kicked off video game meeting with 'horrendous' skull-splitting and impaling clips, participan

But...buuuuuuut...aren't video games just inanimate objects?

Trump seems to be arguing that inanimate objects cause harm to people, now how can this be! The nRA must be pissing their pants on this one.

A shooter will be drawn to violent games, I'm sure.

But games don't cause people to become shooters. What stupidity. ...

Some of the stuff is pretty graphic obviously.

I don't think it will impact 99% of the average people playing, but I can't believe that this, or violent music/movies does not have an impact on the 1% or even more. Someone with the predisposition to engage in violence and is triggered by something

Trump kicked off video game meeting with 'horrendous' skull-splitting and impaling clips, participants say

Trump kicked off video game meeting with 'horrendous' skull-splitting and impaling clips, participants say

President Trump's closed-door meeting Thursday with members of the video game industry, lawmakers, and cultural critics began with the president playing "horrendously violent" gaming content on a laptop, participants say.

Trump played a compilation of clips from video games on a large screen at the end of a table before asking industry representatives to explain themselves, attendees told the Washington Examiner.

"One looked like an ax or machete going through someone's skull," said Melissa Henson of the Parents Television Council, one of 10 invited participants. In another clip, "someone appeared to be impaled on a spike... pretty graphic stuff," she said.

Is there any part of our life you do not want the Govt sticking their noses into?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I don't think it will impact 99% of the average people playing, but I can't believe that this, or violent music/movies does not have an impact on the 1% or even more. Someone with the predisposition to engage in violence and is triggered by something

President Trump's closed-door meeting Thursday with members of the video game industry, lawmakers, and cultural critics began with the president playing "horrendously violent" gaming content on a laptop, participants say.

Trump played a compilation of clips from video games on a large screen at the end of a table before asking industry representatives to explain themselves, attendees told the Washington Examiner.

"One looked like an ax or machete going through someone's skull," said Melissa Henson of the Parents Television Council, one of 10 invited participants. In another clip, "someone appeared to be impaled on a spike... pretty graphic stuff," she said.

They are the games Barron Trump plays.

ugh - page not found. :(

guess she doesn't need to be hearing about vlad the impaler. :)

in the 80s D&D was going to be the downfall of us all while kids went to live in sewers to fight mythical dragons.

Wrong
List of banned video games - Wikipedia. By country

The rest of the world has access to the same games we do.
Australia

Australian law prohibits the sale of video games that promote any illegal activity. Many games are banned for violent and sexual content, but the law creates some stranger rationales as well. For example, Mark Ecko’s "Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure," a game about graffiti tagging, is banned because graffiti is illegal in Australia.

Germany

Germany routinely bans video games that are deemed to contain “high impact violence.” In June 2009, after a string of shooting rampages, Germany’s interior ministers formally asked the Bundestag to pass a ban on the production and distribution of all violent video games.

So two countries, one of which is also gun-free, yeah?
I play with people from all over the world. Game bans are very specific to certain titles and for certain reasons. For example in Germany games with NAZI imagery is banned IF the images are not altered in some fashion so as to hide swastikas and such. Call of Duty is a prime example.
Most of those countries are not banning games because of content but rather to keep their population from interacting with the outside world.

This game scapegoat is nothing more than a deflection because the real issues are to hard to address.

Besides the courts have already ruled that games are protected under the first amendment so this discussion is pointless busy work.

Since I just saw this article, I've never done or understood the steam - platform? So basically I'm shooting in the dark, no pun intended.

What's your take on this article that just showed up in my FB feed?

Steam Is Filled With Groups That Celebrate School Shooters

Most people use the giant online video game platform Steam to buy games and move on, but others build communities. As we've previously reported, Valve, the company that operates Steam, does very little moderating. So the platform is full of hate groups.

As the nonprofit news organization The Center for Investigative Reporting first reported on Friday, it appears Steam is also full of groups that venerate school shooters. Valve is a multi billion-dollar game company with at least 125 million users. Its code of conduct specifically prohibits racism and “threats of violence or harassment, even as a joke.” That fact that some of these groups have been allowed on a platform for years is yet another example of how Valve not only fails to enforce its own policies, but normalizes extremist thinking.

“Plan to shoot up Forest Lake state school,” a user named School Shooter 66 wrote in the Steam group School Shooting Squad group in March 2017. “I plan to bring an M16 , 3 mags, suicide pills and an axe." The user goes on to detail his plan of attack, and clarifies in all caps that "THIS IS NOT A JOKE."
so - to prove the site is full of hate groups, this site writes an article that says it's full of hate groups, backing up their claim with an article THEY WROTE saying the site is full of hate groups, backed up by a thread on steam showing that they were not responsible for the algorithm that wrote it anyway spawning all the concern in the end, which in itself is on twitter, NOT STEAM.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that's funny shit right there.

Last edited:
Captured from Steam:

5aa135ae1f00005100169901.png

5aa154912000003800eb1168.png

Oh boy, another moral panic. I love my mother but sometimes I look forward to the end of the baby boomer generation.

Guns don’t kill people. Video games kill people.

Guns don’t kill people. Video games kill people.

Right? Just like nukes don't kill people, so who gives a shit if NK is armed to the hilt.

Wrong

Australia

Australian law prohibits the sale of video games that promote any illegal activity. Many games are banned for violent and sexual content, but the law creates some stranger rationales as well. For example, Mark Ecko’s "Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure," a game about graffiti tagging, is banned because graffiti is illegal in Australia.

Germany

Germany routinely bans video games that are deemed to contain “high impact violence.” In June 2009, after a string of shooting rampages, Germany’s interior ministers formally asked the Bundestag to pass a ban on the production and distribution of all violent video games.

I play with people from all over the world. Game bans are very specific to certain titles and for certain reasons. For example in Germany games with NAZI imagery is banned IF the images are not altered in some fashion so as to hide swastikas and such. Call of Duty is a prime example.
Most of those countries are not banning games because of content but rather to keep their population from interacting with the outside world.

This game scapegoat is nothing more than a deflection because the real issues are to hard to address.

Besides the courts have already ruled that games are protected under the first amendment so this discussion is pointless busy work.

Since I just saw this article, I've never done or understood the steam - platform? So basically I'm shooting in the dark, no pun intended.

Most people use the giant online video game platform Steam to buy games and move on, but others build communities. As we've previously reported, Valve, the company that operates Steam, does very little moderating. So the platform is full of hate groups.

As the nonprofit news organization The Center for Investigative Reporting first reported on Friday, it appears Steam is also full of groups that venerate school shooters. Valve is a multi billion-dollar game company with at least 125 million users. Its code of conduct specifically prohibits racism and “threats of violence or harassment, even as a joke.” That fact that some of these groups have been allowed on a platform for years is yet another example of how Valve not only fails to enforce its own policies, but normalizes extremist thinking.

“Plan to shoot up Forest Lake state school,” a user named School Shooter 66 wrote in the Steam group School Shooting Squad group in March 2017. “I plan to bring an M16 , 3 mags, suicide pills and an axe." The user goes on to detail his plan of attack, and clarifies in all caps that "THIS IS NOT A JOKE."
so - to prove the site is full of hate groups, this site writes an article that says it's full of hate groups, backing up their claim with an article THEY WROTE saying the site is full of hate groups, backed up by a thread on steam showing that they were not responsible for the algorithm that wrote it anyway spawning all the concern in the end, which in itself is on twitter, NOT STEAM.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah? Or you're easily amused. At any rate, I was talking to Gramps because, as I so clearly and succinctly stated, I am not familiar with Steam.

Wrong

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah? Or you're easily amused. At any rate, I was talking to Gramps because, as I so clearly and succinctly stated, I am not familiar with Steam.
then link us some hate groups to see directly.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No. I'm not here for anything other than to ask Gramps' opinion. Hell, for all I know there are hate guilds in WoW. We certainly have our fair share of trolls in trade chat. But Steam is not something I am familiar with at all.

You sure are demanding.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No. I'm not here for anything other than to ask Gramps' opinion. Hell, for all I know there are hate guilds in WoW. We certainly have our fair share of trolls in trade chat. But Steam is not something I am familiar with at all.

You sure are demanding.
so we're to take you at your word steam is full of hate groups yet you are not familiar with steam.

you should do your own research.

Forum List

Back