Trump kicked off video game meeting with 'horrendous' skull-splitting and impaling clips, participan

Bringing up video games seems like a deflection to me. Is there any indication that video games were at all to blame for the FL shooting?

Broader discussion I suppose as people are shocked anyone could be so callous and violent. It's time we start to at least recognize that the constant exposure to violence by young people is troublesome, and can't be deemed "positive" or healthy.

As I said, only a small % would be impacted. Think about hitting the gym. You put on music that energizes you give you an emotional and maybe even a physical boost. The music is the stimuli, and many people leverage this. Why wouldn't exposure to extreme violence in games, movies or music have some impact in some people?

When you take video games, movies, TV shows, they do desensitize us to violence and with the justification of aborting a life or ending a life, we keep moving away from the santicty for life. Is this the reason for more school shootings? I don’t know but One would think it would have an effect.

I think a bigger cause is parents not investing in their kids. Taking time to help with life lessons and coping with fears and failures and frustration.

Parents need to be in their children’s lives, be there for them, talk to them, draw them out. When a child is bullied the parent needs to contact the school and defend the child, then they need to talk with their child and help them to cope and not be a victim but help their child change their response to the bullying and empower their child to work the problem out and then follow up with the school, the teachers and their child. If a parent finds out their kid is the bully, then the parent needs to work with the school, the teachers and their child to teach their child how to handle their frustrations, feelings of inadequacy and their need to lash out at others. The parents should work with their child to accept responsibility and change their response to frustrations and problems.

Too many times the parents want the school to fix the problem, the schools have no way to teach every child one on one, that is the parents responsibility.

So much more violent than a war movie or a slasher flick..
They should ALL slow down. That much graphic human v. human violence is just deadening us to the real thing. It should make us all puke.

Since I just saw this article, I've never done or understood the steam - platform? So basically I'm shooting in the dark, no pun intended.

What's your take on this article that just showed up in my FB feed?

Steam Is Filled With Groups That Celebrate School Shooters
so - to prove the site is full of hate groups, this site writes an article that says it's full of hate groups, backing up their claim with an article THEY WROTE saying the site is full of hate groups, backed up by a thread on steam showing that they were not responsible for the algorithm that wrote it anyway spawning all the concern in the end, which in itself is on twitter, NOT STEAM.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that's funny shit right there.

Yeah? Or you're easily amused. At any rate, I was talking to Gramps because, as I so clearly and succinctly stated, I am not familiar with Steam.
then link us some hate groups to see directly.

No. I'm not here for anything other than to ask Gramps' opinion. Hell, for all I know there are hate guilds in WoW. We certainly have our fair share of trolls in trade chat. But Steam is not something I am familiar with at all.

You sure are demanding.
so we're to take you at your word steam is full of hate groups yet you are not familiar with steam.

you should do your own research.

It's not my word. I found an article, I asked somebody who I perceive to be acquainted with the subject for his take on it. That, to me, is doing research.

I didn't start a thread. I didn't pronounce the article true or false. I have no idea why you are dogging me, I've been perfectly polite and transparent with you.

Since I just saw this article, I've never done or understood the steam - platform? So basically I'm shooting in the dark, no pun intended.

What's your take on this article that just showed up in my FB feed?

Steam Is Filled With Groups That Celebrate School Shooters
so - to prove the site is full of hate groups, this site writes an article that says it's full of hate groups, backing up their claim with an article THEY WROTE saying the site is full of hate groups, backed up by a thread on steam showing that they were not responsible for the algorithm that wrote it anyway spawning all the concern in the end, which in itself is on twitter, NOT STEAM.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah? Or you're easily amused. At any rate, I was talking to Gramps because, as I so clearly and succinctly stated, I am not familiar with Steam.

No. I'm not here for anything other than to ask Gramps' opinion. Hell, for all I know there are hate guilds in WoW. We certainly have our fair share of trolls in trade chat. But Steam is not something I am familiar with at all.

You sure are demanding.
so we're to take you at your word steam is full of hate groups yet you are not familiar with steam.

They pop up like rhey do everywhere. Steam deletes them as they can, but how are you going to monitor the chatter that goes on in every group, especially when most use third party apps like Discord to communicate?

Bringing up video games seems like a deflection to me. Is there any indication that video games were at all to blame for the FL shooting?

Broader discussion I suppose as people are shocked anyone could be so callous and violent. It's time we start to at least recognize that the constant exposure to violence by young people is troublesome, and can't be deemed "positive" or healthy.

As I said, only a small % would be impacted. Think about hitting the gym. You put on music that energizes you give you an emotional and maybe even a physical boost. The music is the stimuli, and many people leverage this. Why wouldn't exposure to extreme violence in games, movies or music have some impact in some people?

When you take video games, movies, TV shows, they do desensitize us to violence and with the justification of aborting a life or ending a life, we keep moving away from the santicty for life. Is this the reason for more school shootings? I don’t know but One would think it would have an effect.

I think a bigger cause is parents not investing in their kids. Taking time to help with life lessons and coping with fears and failures and frustration.

Parents need to be in their children’s lives, be there for them, talk to them, draw them out. When a child is bullied the parent needs to contact the school and defend the child, then they need to talk with their child and help them to cope and not be a victim but help their child change their response to the bullying and empower their child to work the problem out and then follow up with the school, the teachers and their child. If a parent finds out their kid is the bully, then the parent needs to work with the school, the teachers and their child to teach their child how to handle their frustrations, feelings of inadequacy and their need to lash out at others. The parents should work with their child to accept responsibility and change their response to frustrations and problems.

Too many times the parents want the school to fix the problem, the schools have no way to teach every child one on one, that is the parents responsibility.
Every bully I've known had parents who bullied them, or beat them, or whatever. I don't know how you shut down a bully, but the parents aren't usually the answer, I'm afraid.

The rest of the world has access to the same games we do.
Australia

Australian law prohibits the sale of video games that promote any illegal activity. Many games are banned for violent and sexual content, but the law creates some stranger rationales as well. For example, Mark Ecko’s "Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure," a game about graffiti tagging, is banned because graffiti is illegal in Australia.

Germany

Germany routinely bans video games that are deemed to contain “high impact violence.” In June 2009, after a string of shooting rampages, Germany’s interior ministers formally asked the Bundestag to pass a ban on the production and distribution of all violent video games.

So two countries, one of which is also gun-free, yeah?

Australia is gun free? Do you know you can buy a gun in Australia? All you need to do is join a gun club, then you can buy a gun. That isn’t anywhere close to gun free.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You sure are demanding.

It's not my word. I found an article, I asked somebody who I perceive to be acquainted with the subject for his take on it. That, to me, is doing research.

I didn't start a thread. I didn't pronounce the article true or false. I have no idea why you are dogging me, I've been perfectly polite and transparent with you.
my bad if i misfired then.

Every bully I've known had parents who bullied them, or beat them, or whatever. I don't know how you shut down a bully, but the parents aren't usually the answer, I'm afraid.

It just so happens I do, OldLady. You punch them as hard as you can in the nose and keep hitting them until they go down/give up.

I learrned this in kindergarten/ 1st grade.

Oh boy, another moral panic. I love my mother but sometimes I look forward to the end of the baby boomer generation.
You shouldn't be glad to see us go....with us goes the last of civility, critical thinking and the wisdom you won't have until you're our age. Or so it seems at times. You young pups run like rabid dogs.

You have a good point about the bullies parents not setting the right example. It brings us back to parents not being involved in their child’s lives and not taking responsibility. What is sad is that there are people that should never have been parents.

You have a good point about the bullies parents not setting the right example. It brings us back to parents not being involved in their child’s lives and not taking responsibility. What is sad is that there are people that should never have been parents.

But still. I mean, good points all around but many of us were raised by such parents, and just (after gaining our bearings) chose to break the chain. Why some do and some don't is anybody's guess.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You sure are demanding.

To be fair I use STEAM as a launcher and not much more. I don't socialize on their forums other than to ask game specific questions. There are user created private groups but unless you are a member you can not access those groups or see their content.
Also of note is that STEAM is mostly used by adults where as children tend to use consoles. PC gaming requires a much larger investment than a 200 dollar console.

You sure are demanding.

To be fair I use STEAM as a launcher and not much more. I don't socialize on their forums other than to ask game specific questions. There are user created private groups but unless you are a member you can not access those groups or see their content.
Also of note is that STEAM is mostly used by adults where as children tend to use consoles. PC gaming requires a much larger investment than a 200 dollar console.

Same for me with WoW or SL, except with WoW I will show up on the forum if I have a gaming question, and the answer wasn't found at Wowhead.

Australia

Australian law prohibits the sale of video games that promote any illegal activity. Many games are banned for violent and sexual content, but the law creates some stranger rationales as well. For example, Mark Ecko’s "Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure," a game about graffiti tagging, is banned because graffiti is illegal in Australia.

Germany

Germany routinely bans video games that are deemed to contain “high impact violence.” In June 2009, after a string of shooting rampages, Germany’s interior ministers formally asked the Bundestag to pass a ban on the production and distribution of all violent video games.

Australia is gun free? Do you know you can buy a gun in Australia? All you need to do is join a gun club, then you can buy a gun. That isn’t anywhere close to gun free.

My mistake, I believed Australians when they announced that they were superior to the US due to a school shooting that turned their world upside down.

In 1996, Australia Enacted Strict Gun Laws. It Hasn't Had a Mass Shooting Since.

No time to read, have to shower and get some sleep before I start work in six hours.

Australia

Germany

My mistake, I believed Australians when they announced that they were superior to the US due to a school shooting that turned their world upside down.

In 1996, Australia Enacted Strict Gun Laws. It Hasn't Had a Mass Shooting Since.

No time to read, have to shower and get some sleep before I start work in six hours.
digging into some facts on this one:

List of massacres in Australia - Wikipedia

in 1996 there was a mass shooting and yes, 35 people were killed. i guess they change up how they define MASS because in 1999, 2002, 2014 they did have shootings. they have also had mass arson attacks, vehicular attacks and the like where people just used something else perhaps. i'd need to do more research.

they are down, yes. but the rage itself didn't seem to slow down much, just changed direction of choice so to speak.

and - they define it as "4 or more".
Regulating people – not just guns – might explain Australia's decline in mass shootings

this one seems to go a bit deeper and offer more of what was done other than just guns. found this bit in that article:

Australia had 13 mass shootings between 1964 and 2014, involving many different types of firearms. Before Port Arthur, the worst mass shooting was not committed with a high-powered semi-automatic weapon, but with a “single shot” .22-calibre bolt-action rifle. That type of firearm is still commonly owned by farmers and other licensed shooters in Australia today.
----------
so, the worst mass killing they've seen was from the least powerful gun and slowest "reload" you can really even get and still very common and easy to get there.

then:
Measures including 28-day waiting periods and mandatory police background checks were uniformly implemented around Australia. Predictors of violent behaviour, such as past violence – including domestic violence – and involvement in other criminal activities, including drug use, became reasons for refusing, or cancelling, gun licences.
---------
so doing *BETTER* background checks also seem to be a huge contributor other than just banning guns.

so it seems in australia isn't not about banning guns but being smarter about who gets them.

Last edited:
Please don't anyone reply to the above post; we don't need another gun thread. Please.

The fbi under Obama changed our definition to include 3 or more excluding the shooter, whereas previously it had been 4 or more, excluding the shooter.
Different websites tracking them also use their own criteria.

Australia’s definition for mass shooting is more than 5 killed in a public setting, not including the perpetrator.

Australia

Germany

in 1996 there was a mass shooting and yes, 35 people were killed. i guess they change up how they define MASS because in 1999, 2002, 2014 they did have shootings. they have also had mass arson attacks, vehicular attacks and the like where people just used something else perhaps. i'd need to do more research.

they are down, yes. but the rage itself didn't seem to slow down much, just changed direction of choice so to speak.

Last edited:
The fbi under Obama changed ours to include 3 or more excluding the shooter, whereas previously it had been 4 or more, excluding the shooter.
Different websites tracking them also use their own criteria.

Australia’s definition for mass shooting is more than 5 killed in a public setting, not including the perpetrator.

Australia

Germany

yep. that one article i found and linked offered up a lot of information i'm "digesting".

ie - the last "mass shooting" was done with a bolt action .22, still found in abundance there. along with many centerfire guns. so they didn't just BAN GUNS and all was fixed. they also beefed up background checks, waiting periods and so forth. some of which we can do here, some of which if you ask for will get you walled (ie, waiting 30 days)

But still. I mean, good points all around but many of us were raised by such parents, and just (after gaining our bearings) chose to break the chain. Why some do and some don't is anybody's guess.

I agree, I'm not sure what or if there is a solutions? Why have shootings increase so significantly since the mid 90's?

Forum List

Back