Trump kicked off video game meeting with 'horrendous' skull-splitting and impaling clips, participan

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Some of the stuff is pretty graphic obviously.

I don't think it will impact 99% of the average people playing, but I can't believe that this, or violent music/movies does not have an impact on the 1% or even more. Someone with the predisposition to engage in violence and is triggered by something

Trump kicked off video game meeting with 'horrendous' skull-splitting and impaling clips, participants say

Trump kicked off video game meeting with 'horrendous' skull-splitting and impaling clips, participants say

President Trump's closed-door meeting Thursday with members of the video game industry, lawmakers, and cultural critics began with the president playing "horrendously violent" gaming content on a laptop, participants say.

Trump played a compilation of clips from video games on a large screen at the end of a table before asking industry representatives to explain themselves, attendees told the Washington Examiner.

"One looked like an ax or machete going through someone's skull," said Melissa Henson of the Parents Television Council, one of 10 invited participants. In another clip, "someone appeared to be impaled on a spike... pretty graphic stuff," she said.

Bringing up video games seems like a deflection to me. Is there any indication that video games were at all to blame for the FL shooting?

Broader discussion I suppose as people are shocked anyone could be so callous and violent. It's time we start to at least recognize that the constant exposure to violence by young people is troublesome, and can't be deemed "positive" or healthy.

As I said, only a small % would be impacted. Think about hitting the gym. You put on music that energizes you give you an emotional and maybe even a physical boost. The music is the stimuli, and many people leverage this. Why wouldn't exposure to extreme violence in games, movies or music have some impact in some people?

Maybe they need to incorporate how the families are impacted after those killings, if they choose to keep them in the games.

The rest of the world has access to the same games we do.
Australia

Australian law prohibits the sale of video games that promote any illegal activity. Many games are banned for violent and sexual content, but the law creates some stranger rationales as well. For example, Mark Ecko’s "Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure," a game about graffiti tagging, is banned because graffiti is illegal in Australia.

Germany

Germany routinely bans video games that are deemed to contain “high impact violence.” In June 2009, after a string of shooting rampages, Germany’s interior ministers formally asked the Bundestag to pass a ban on the production and distribution of all violent video games.

This crap was stupid back in the 80’s when Owl Gore and his idiot wife were doing it and it’s stupid today.

How about you crap ass parents don’t let video games raise your kids? It’s not a games fault you failed to raise someone with no morals or understanding of personal responsibility.

This crap was stupid back in the 80’s when Owl Gore and his idiot wife were doing it and it’s stupid today.

How about you crap ass parents don’t let video games raise your kids? It’s not a games fault you failed to raise someone with no morals or understanding of personal responsibility.
My sons didn’t get to play violent games.

Back in the day of Roy, Gene, Johnny Mac Brown and the Lone Ranger, galoots were shot once somewhere in the torso and quietly fell to the ground. The violence I saw in the 20 cent Saturday matinee in the 50's was nothing like the garbage kids see now. It can't help but make an impact and kids are so desensitized, the Hollywood cretins have to keep making them more heinous to keep sales up. I doubt with the Trump-hate in Mexifornia that anything can be done, short of calling for a boycott and those usually goose sales.

Australia

Australian law prohibits the sale of video games that promote any illegal activity. Many games are banned for violent and sexual content, but the law creates some stranger rationales as well. For example, Mark Ecko’s "Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure," a game about graffiti tagging, is banned because graffiti is illegal in Australia.

Germany

Germany routinely bans video games that are deemed to contain “high impact violence.” In June 2009, after a string of shooting rampages, Germany’s interior ministers formally asked the Bundestag to pass a ban on the production and distribution of all violent video games.

So two countries, one of which is also gun-free, yeah?

Wrong
List of banned video games - Wikipedia. By country

Australia

Germany

Bringing up video games seems like a deflection to me. Is there any indication that video games were at all to blame for the FL shooting?

Broader discussion I suppose as people are shocked anyone could be so callous and violent. It's time we start to at least recognize that the constant exposure to violence by young people is troublesome, and can't be deemed "positive" or healthy.

As I said, only a small % would be impacted. Think about hitting the gym. You put on music that energizes you give you an emotional and maybe even a physical boost. The music is the stimuli, and many people leverage this. Why wouldn't exposure to extreme violence in games, movies or music have some impact in some people?

This seems like more of a parental issue than anything. The more violent games are already intended for mature players. If children are playing them, that is probably because their parents allow it.

I don't mind there being conversation about it, but evidence linking video games to violence is limited, at best. And in the context of the FL school shooting and the president having a meeting with video game execs and detractors, it looks to me like doing nothing hoping it gives the appearance of doing something. :dunno:

Wrong

Australia

Germany

I play with people from all over the world. Game bans are very specific to certain titles and for certain reasons. For example in Germany games with NAZI imagery is banned IF the images are not altered in some fashion so as to hide swastikas and such. Call of Duty is a prime example.
Most of those countries are not banning games because of content but rather to keep their population from interacting with the outside world.

This game scapegoat is nothing more than a deflection because the real issues are to hard to address.

Besides the courts have already ruled that games are protected under the first amendment so this discussion is pointless busy work.

Wrong

Australia

Germany

I play with people from all over the world. Game bans are very specific to certain titles and for certain reasons. For example in Germany games with NAZI imagery is banned IF the images are not altered in some fashion so as to hide swastikas and such. Call of Duty is a prime example.
Most of those countries are not banning games because of content but rather to keep their population from interacting with the outside world.

This game scapegoat is nothing more than a deflection because the real issues are to hard to address.

Besides the courts have already ruled that games are protected under the first amendment so this discussion is pointless busy work.

Since I just saw this article, I've never done or understood the steam - platform? So basically I'm shooting in the dark, no pun intended.

What's your take on this article that just showed up in my FB feed?

Steam Is Filled With Groups That Celebrate School Shooters

Most people use the giant online video game platform Steam to buy games and move on, but others build communities. As we've previously reported, Valve, the company that operates Steam, does very little moderating. So the platform is full of hate groups.

As the nonprofit news organization The Center for Investigative Reporting first reported on Friday, it appears Steam is also full of groups that venerate school shooters. Valve is a multi billion-dollar game company with at least 125 million users. Its code of conduct specifically prohibits racism and “threats of violence or harassment, even as a joke.” That fact that some of these groups have been allowed on a platform for years is yet another example of how Valve not only fails to enforce its own policies, but normalizes extremist thinking.

“Plan to shoot up Forest Lake state school,” a user named School Shooter 66 wrote in the Steam group School Shooting Squad group in March 2017. “I plan to bring an M16 , 3 mags, suicide pills and an axe." The user goes on to detail his plan of attack, and clarifies in all caps that "THIS IS NOT A JOKE."

Many do ban certain ones for violent content. I agree, but also think this is a small piece of many, particularly when you are dealing with the sociopath that has access to such things and walks freely.
Wrong

Australia

Germany

Wrong

Australia

Germany

Since I just saw this article, I've never done or understood the steam - platform? So basically I'm shooting in the dark, no pun intended.

What's your take on this article that just showed up in my FB feed?

Steam Is Filled With Groups That Celebrate School Shooters

Most people use the giant online video game platform Steam to buy games and move on, but others build communities. As we've previously reported, Valve, the company that operates Steam, does very little moderating. So the platform is full of hate groups.

As the nonprofit news organization The Center for Investigative Reporting first reported on Friday, it appears Steam is also full of groups that venerate school shooters. Valve is a multi billion-dollar game company with at least 125 million users. Its code of conduct specifically prohibits racism and “threats of violence or harassment, even as a joke.” That fact that some of these groups have been allowed on a platform for years is yet another example of how Valve not only fails to enforce its own policies, but normalizes extremist thinking.

“Plan to shoot up Forest Lake state school,” a user named School Shooter 66 wrote in the Steam group School Shooting Squad group in March 2017. “I plan to bring an M16 , 3 mags, suicide pills and an axe." The user goes on to detail his plan of attack, and clarifies in all caps that "THIS IS NOT A JOKE."
That article looks like fabricated bull.

STEAM moderates their forums much stricter than this site. Simple trolling and insults are delt with by moderators.

Forum List

Back