Trump kicked off video game meeting with 'horrendous' skull-splitting and impaling clips, participan

Broader discussion I suppose as people are shocked anyone could be so callous and violent. It's time we start to at least recognize that the constant exposure to violence by young people is troublesome, and can't be deemed "positive" or healthy.

As I said, only a small % would be impacted. Think about hitting the gym. You put on music that energizes you give you an emotional and maybe even a physical boost. The music is the stimuli, and many people leverage this. Why wouldn't exposure to extreme violence in games, movies or music have some impact in some people?

When you take video games, movies, TV shows, they do desensitize us to violence and with the justification of aborting a life or ending a life, we keep moving away from the santicty for life. Is this the reason for more school shootings? I don’t know but One would think it would have an effect.

I think a bigger cause is parents not investing in their kids. Taking time to help with life lessons and coping with fears and failures and frustration.

Parents need to be in their children’s lives, be there for them, talk to them, draw them out. When a child is bullied the parent needs to contact the school and defend the child, then they need to talk with their child and help them to cope and not be a victim but help their child change their response to the bullying and empower their child to work the problem out and then follow up with the school, the teachers and their child. If a parent finds out their kid is the bully, then the parent needs to work with the school, the teachers and their child to teach their child how to handle their frustrations, feelings of inadequacy and their need to lash out at others. The parents should work with their child to accept responsibility and change their response to frustrations and problems.

Too many times the parents want the school to fix the problem, the schools have no way to teach every child one on one, that is the parents responsibility.
Every bully I've known had parents who bullied them, or beat them, or whatever. I don't know how you shut down a bully, but the parents aren't usually the answer, I'm afraid.

You have a good point about the bullies parents not setting the right example. It brings us back to parents not being involved in their child’s lives and not taking responsibility. What is sad is that there are people that should never have been parents.

But still. I mean, good points all around but many of us were raised by such parents, and just (after gaining our bearings) chose to break the chain. Why some do and some don't is anybody's guess.

I agree, I'm not sure what or if there is a solutions? Why have shootings increase so significantly since the mid 90's?
You’ve got me thinking. Will be back much later.

For now, - remember the song ‘Jeremy?’ Aired nonstop. I could be way off base.

Jeremy (song) - Wikipedia

Oh boy, another moral panic. I love my mother but sometimes I look forward to the end of the baby boomer generation.
You shouldn't be glad to see us go....with us goes the last of civility, critical thinking and the wisdom you won't have until you're our age. Or so it seems at times. You young pups run like rabid dogs.

Seems to me that the boomer generation presided over a period of extreme moral decay and did little to retain the values of the previous generation and now you're all wondering why kids have gone crazy and are shooting up schools. "It's not my fault, it's the videogames."

Oh boy, another moral panic. I love my mother but sometimes I look forward to the end of the baby boomer generation.
You shouldn't be glad to see us go....with us goes the last of civility, critical thinking and the wisdom you won't have until you're our age. Or so it seems at times. You young pups run like rabid dogs.

Seems to me that the boomer generation presided over a period of extreme moral decay and did little to retain the values of the previous generation and now you're all wondering why kids have gone crazy and are shooting up schools. "It's not my fault, it's the videogames."
We were definitely not into the shooting up the schools thing. Living in shithole communes raising vegetables and fucking like bunnies in the back of VW vans, sure. The violence thing wasn't ours.

Yeah? Or you're easily amused. At any rate, I was talking to Gramps because, as I so clearly and succinctly stated, I am not familiar with Steam.
then link us some hate groups to see directly.

No. I'm not here for anything other than to ask Gramps' opinion. Hell, for all I know there are hate guilds in WoW. We certainly have our fair share of trolls in trade chat. But Steam is not something I am familiar with at all.

You sure are demanding.
so we're to take you at your word steam is full of hate groups yet you are not familiar with steam.

you should do your own research.

It's not my word. I found an article, I asked somebody who I perceive to be acquainted with the subject for his take on it. That, to me, is doing research.

I didn't start a thread. I didn't pronounce the article true or false. I have no idea why you are dogging me, I've been perfectly polite and transparent with you.
To be fair I use STEAM as a launcher and not much more. I don't socialize on their forums other than to ask game specific questions. There are user created private groups but unless you are a member you can not access those groups or see their content.
Also of note is that STEAM is mostly used by adults where as children tend to use consoles. PC gaming requires a much larger investment than a 200 dollar console.

200 dollar console? Maybe if you find a good sale. From the little looking I've done, you're more likely to spend $300-400 on a console. It wouldn't be great, but you can play games on a $400 PC. :)

No. I'm not here for anything other than to ask Gramps' opinion. Hell, for all I know there are hate guilds in WoW. We certainly have our fair share of trolls in trade chat. But Steam is not something I am familiar with at all.

You sure are demanding.
so we're to take you at your word steam is full of hate groups yet you are not familiar with steam.

It's not my word. I found an article, I asked somebody who I perceive to be acquainted with the subject for his take on it. That, to me, is doing research.

I didn't start a thread. I didn't pronounce the article true or false. I have no idea why you are dogging me, I've been perfectly polite and transparent with you.
To be fair I use STEAM as a launcher and not much more. I don't socialize on their forums other than to ask game specific questions. There are user created private groups but unless you are a member you can not access those groups or see their content.
Also of note is that STEAM is mostly used by adults where as children tend to use consoles. PC gaming requires a much larger investment than a 200 dollar console.

200 dollar console? Maybe if you find a good sale. From the little looking I've done, you're more likely to spend $300-400 on a console. It wouldn't be great, but you can play games on a $400 PC. :)
Sony PlayStation 4 Launch Edition 500GB Jet Black Console | eBay

Compared to my gpu alone...

Gigabyte GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X VR | eBay

You sure are demanding.

Gigabyte GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X VR | eBay

That's a used ps4 for more than $200.

Like I said, a $400 PC wouldn't be great, but it would be fine to play quite a few games. I wouldn't try to compare a console to a top-of-the-line gaming PC. I would put an entire PC together for the price of a 1080, including monitor, and play games with it. :p I bought a 1050 ti for around $150 last year, and that's plenty of GPU for gaming for me.

Like I said, a $400 PC wouldn't be great, but it would be fine to play quite a few games. I wouldn't try to compare a console to a top-of-the-line gaming PC. I would put an entire PC together for the price of a 1080, including monitor, and play games with it. :p I bought a 1050 ti for around $150 last year, and that's plenty of GPU for gaming for me.
Now you could sell it for triple that because of the mining craze. I've been offered 1500 for my card. A card I paid 800 for new at launch.

My point was the investment & effort to play on pc is FAR more compliated than buying a 200 dollar plug n play machine.

Yeah? Or you're easily amused. At any rate, I was talking to Gramps because, as I so clearly and succinctly stated, I am not familiar with Steam.

You sure are demanding.

It’s used by kids too. Steam is chock full of smaller games that run fine on a chromebook.

Now you could sell it for triple that because of the mining craze. I've been offered 1500 for my card. A card I paid 800 for new at launch.

My point was the investment & effort to play on pc is FAR more compliated than buying a 200 dollar plug n play machine.

It can be. It isn't necessarily much more, though. It depends on what you want to play, I think. You can buy a fully assembled PC rather than put one together yourself, get it for not all that much more than a new console, and often get games to play cheaper. Plus, you don't have to pay for a monthly service on top of your internet connection, like you do with the consoles.

If you want the best stuff available, only playing the newest games, PC will certainly be costlier and perhaps quite a bit more effort, depending on how you go about it.

I haven't really been affected by it (like I said, I'm using a 1050 ti, which is a lower-tier card than miners use), but I hate the cryptocurrency mining craze and how it has affected GPU prices. If I were considering a more powerful PC, I might not bother because of the price increases mining has caused in video cards. :mad:

Then again, I don't even want to pay current RAM prices, and that's not nearly as much of an issue. :lol:

You sure are demanding.

Very few games you can play on a $400 PC. I spent almost that much on the video card for my sons PC

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

You sure are demanding.

Very few games you can play on a $400 PC. I spent almost that much on the video card for my sons PC

thanks to bitcoin, high end video cards are now nuts.

you can play some older games and many times the specs are *overkill* and in 3-4 years the video card that needed 4 heat sinks and 2 fans and a dual PCI plugin slot now work on a single card. :) but yea,to play newer games, you need a video card and $200 is just getting in the door of many of these. all i need cause i don't game, just photo stuff.

You sure are demanding.

You can play plenty of games on a $400 PC, you'd just have to use low settings. It might not work well for some of the newer games, I don't know. ;)

I do agree that there is some blame to be placed on video games, although not all of it.

There was one particular case I remember of a violent cop who executed someone in cold blood, and was a video game player. As well as some mass murderers.

Thankfully no video games have shown an angry god drowning all of humanity and saving one family whom he favored. Only to have it all go to shit again shortly afterwards.

What rampage of violence that would create.

Forum List

Back