Trump Is Hiding His Taxes

All Presidents since Nixon have released their taxes and I’m not running for President
IOW, it's a tradition that he, for his own reasons, doesn't care to continue, and he doesn't have to. You could ask why it took Obama so long to release his birth certificate, and why he only did it when it became a problem. You could ask why Obama refused to release his school records. You could ask why Hillary wouldn't release her medical records, and on it goes. People still have the right to privacy, even if they run for president. Naturally, the haters and usual suspects jump on whatever is withheld as containing the smoking gun that will allow them to finally "get" whoever it is they're mad at.

There's a law mandating tax returns be turned over to specific House committees when requested. Trump is ordering his staff to ignore the law.
When requested for certain purposes. They cannot simply demand the returns hoping to find something.

All Presidents since Nixon have released their taxes and I’m not running for President
IOW, it's a tradition that he, for his own reasons, doesn't care to continue, and he doesn't have to. You could ask why it took Obama so long to release his birth certificate, and why he only did it when it became a problem. You could ask why Obama refused to release his school records. You could ask why Hillary wouldn't release her medical records, and on it goes. People still have the right to privacy, even if they run for president. Naturally, the haters and usual suspects jump on whatever is withheld as containing the smoking gun that will allow them to finally "get" whoever it is they're mad at.

There's a law mandating tax returns be turned over to specific House committees when requested. Trump is ordering his staff to ignore the law.
When requested for certain purposes. They cannot simply demand the returns hoping to find something.
Incorrect. There are no "certain purposes" listed in the law. They "shall" be provided. No caveats.

Incorrect. There are no "certain purposes" listed in the law. They "shall" be provided. No caveats.
Post the entire text of the law, not just the fragment.

So what IS Trump hiding?

It must be something impressive considering how hard he's fighting

The tax returns in questions were 2010 through 2015 which Trump claims have been under continuous audit. That means his returns have been under continuous audit for 4 to 9 years? That does not make sense, particularly since continuous audits were discontinued in 2015.
How do you know this? Oh yeah, you don't.

Not really accurate. There are specific committes who can request tax information from the irs only during closed executive session. This means there are confidentiality rules that apply. Only those on the committee can view the information, and whatever they see cannot be shared outside of that closed executive session.

Also, the information requested cannot be information that identifies a particular person.

There has to be a specific reason for requesting the information. In other words, they have to basically know what it is they are looking for, and use the documents to confirm it. They are not allowed to request the documents just for the purpose of seeing what is in there to see if they can find any wrongdoing.

Not really accurate. There are specific committes who can request tax information from the irs only during closed executive session. This means there are confidentiality rules that apply. Only those on the committee can view the information, and whatever they see cannot be shared outside of that closed executive session.

Also, the information requested cannot be information that identifies a particular person.

There has to be a specific reason for requesting the information. In other words, they have to basically know what it is they are looking for, and use the documents to confirm it. They are not allowed to request the documents just for the purpose of seeing what is in there to see if they can find any wrongdoing.
Everything after the first paragraph is untrue.

There are no stipulations about stripping identifying information and there is no requirement that they provide a reason for their request.

Everything after the first paragraph is untrue.

There are no stipulations about stripping identifying information and there is no requirement that they provide a reason for their request.
To get Trump’s tax returns, Democrats must show they have a good reason

The courts have said that lawmakers need a legitimate legislative reason for their investigations.

26 U.S. Code § 6103 - Confidentiality and disclosure of returns and return information

(f)Disclosure to Committees of Congress

(1)Committee on Ways and Means, Committee on Finance, and Joint Committee on Taxation

Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

Congress is trying to get Trump's taxes. Every President since Nixon has released theirs and Trump "claims" he'd like to release them.

He is however fighting tooth and nail to keep them secret. His claim here is that he's under audit and for some reason that precludes him from releasing them. It doesn't.

The IRS does not lock them down for that reason, and it's CONGRESS requesting them in accordance with the law. In fact a refusal would put the the head of the IRS or Treasury Secretary in contempt of Congress.

And for what it's worth, Trump's former attorney Cohen testified under oath that Trump WASN'T under audit

What do you suppose he's hiding? Tax evasion? Money Laundering?

He's afraid of something obviously
How about posting your tax returns here online.What are you hiding?
Our colleague is not suspected of violating the Emoluments Clause of the US Constitution.

Our colleague is not suspected of being in thrall to a foreign power.

Our colleague is not suspected of abusing his office for personal gain.

Minor difference, eh?

Congress is trying to get Trump's taxes. Every President since Nixon has released theirs and Trump "claims" he'd like to release them.

He is however fighting tooth and nail to keep them secret. His claim here is that he's under audit and for some reason that precludes him from releasing them. It doesn't.

The IRS does not lock them down for that reason, and it's CONGRESS requesting them in accordance with the law. In fact a refusal would put the the head of the IRS or Treasury Secretary in contempt of Congress.

And for what it's worth, Trump's former attorney Cohen testified under oath that Trump WASN'T under audit

What do you suppose he's hiding? Tax evasion? Money Laundering?

He's afraid of something obviously
1. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) reviews everybody's Annual Tax Returns and if they find that anyone didn't pay their taxes, or have any egregious errors in the form, they do an audit. If there was anything nefarious about his taxes, they would have caught it and audited him.
2. If he didn't pay any taxes due to "legal loopholes," that's permissible by the IRS.
3. ALL, I repeat, ALL, citizens tax returns are private and cannot be released without a court order and as the president of the United States is a citizen, his tax returns are just as private as anyone else's. As for those politicians who do release their tax returns, they do so willingly, but don't really have to.
So....the whole thing is voluntary. Whether he paid all relevant taxes, or through legal loopholes, managed to avoid doing so, I don't care. I only care about his performance, which so far, isn't bad.

Everything after the first paragraph is untrue. There are no stipulations about stripping identifying information and there is no requirement that they provide a reason for their request.
So you support the witch hunt?
I think Trump is probably lying, tax cheating, bank fraudster, that has destroyed the credibility of the republican party. That said, if it were me, I sure as hell would hide mine, and tell anyone who wanted them "F#ck You" till my dying day and laugh out loud about it, till they drug them from my cold, dead, pale, p#ssy grabbing fingers. Amen!

I think Trump is probably lying, tax cheating, bank fraudster, that has destroyed the credibility of the republican party. That said, if it were me, I sure as hell would hide mine, and tell anyone who wanted them "F#ck You" till my dying day and laugh out loud about it, till they drug them from my cold, dead, pale, p#ssy grabbing fingers. Amen!
If you have evidence, send it to the Deep State.

If you have evidence, send it to the Deep State.

Deep state is just another label, like fake news. If you give something a simple, meaningless, derogatory label, your can more simply attempt to attack it. It is most effective, by and for simpletons.

Deep state is just another label, like fake news. If you give something a simple, meaningless, derogatory label, your can more simply attempt to attack it. It is most effective, by and for simpletons.

Boom. Anyone not directly appointed by Trump is a "Deep Stater" and even they become "Deep Staters" the minute they don't unquestioningly support the Orange Criminal

Chris Wray for example

Everything after the first paragraph is untrue. There are no stipulations about stripping identifying information and there is no requirement that they provide a reason for their request.
There is no witch hunt.

There is, however, Impeachment of the President, by the US House of Representatives.

When you broadcast your intention to unseat the president before he even takes office, it's a witch hunt.

There is no witch hunt.

There is, however, Impeachment of the President, by the US House of Representatives.

When you broadcast your intention to unseat the president before he even takes office, it's a witch hunt.

So since some Dems said that, there can be no investigation or impeachment of Trump for any reason?

Forum List

Back