Trump is a Strategic Genius the Way He Used DACA

I hope you're right. I think the GOP has strong leverage over Dems on the narrative to trade DACA for the wall and border security. I wish they would sell the message more. In what world would it make sense to do DACA without addressing the underlying illegal immigration problem that led to the DACA problem in the first place. However, in my mind, chain migration and the visa lottery are two unrelated issues that don't have to do with illegal immigration at all...he might need let them go in negotiations in return for the wall, border security, and tougher penalties on businesses hiring illegals.

Letting the DACA people stay is supported by 80% of Americans.

By all means, the GOP should fight hard to deport them, lol.

btw, Schumer got the CHIP program extended 6 years in exchange for reopening the government for a couple weeks.

1. GOP wanted to fund CHIP anyway (they proposed it in the bill Dems rejected in favor of shutdown)
2. GOP already supports a DACA fix (on the record)
3. GOP requires leverage in order to convince Dems to support fixing the root cause of the DACA problem which is the ease of illegal immigration

Dems messed up by shutting down the govt and then reopening it with ZERO concessions granted that were not on the table prior. Dems are going to get smeared if they choose to hold up DACA because they won't grant additional measures to curb illegal immigration. Dems might make a huge miscalculation because they are blinded by their zealous hatred of Trump and giving him his signature campaign promise. Dems are not in a good position right now and as long as Trump can stop saying "shithole" and the GOP doesn't step on its own face it should get most of what it was elected to deliver.

btw, Schumer got the CHIP program extended 6 years in exchange for reopening the government for a couple weeks.

1. GOP wanted to fund CHIP anyway (they proposed it in the bill Dems rejected in favor of shutdown)
3. GOP requires leverage in order to convince Dems to support fixing the root cause of the DACA problem which is the ease of illegal immigration

Dems messed up by shutting down the govt and then reopening it with ZERO concessions granted that were not on the table prior. Dems are going to get smeared if they choose to hold up DACA because they won't grant additional measures to curb illegal immigration. Dems might make a huge miscalculation because they are blinded by their zealous hatred of Trump and giving him his signature campaign promise. Dems are not in a good position right now and as long as Trump can stop saying "shithole" and the GOP doesn't step on its own face it should get most of what it was elected to deliver.
The gop house thinks they can pass an immigration bill only granting 3 year legal status to the Dreamers and no path to citizenship, funding the wall, ending chain migration and the lottery, more everify and propbably other stuff.

They maybe have the votes, but maybe not. There's no way that passes the Senate. Trump chose not to pressure the gop house to compromise. And that's why there was a shutdown. The dems pulled everything, and now even the wall funding they'd offered before. It's basically back to ground zero, but the dems will get their up or down vote in the senate on a path to citizenship for Dreamers, and my guess is they get 11 goper senators to buy in.

The House then has to pass (or just not vote which was what they did last time) something. And meanwhile the temporary lift to the debt limit will be running out.

My guess is the two main reasons McConnell set this out is 1) he agrees with the dems that there's no way to bargain in good faith with Trump, and would prefer doing some deal with Ryan to get a compromise bill he can pass in the Senate and deliver to Trump's desk ALONG WITH a long term debt fix. And 2) McConnell knows a maj of his Gop senate wants to put the DACA issue permanently to rest. I don't know if the dems can get a path to citizenship, but permanent green card status shouldn't be much of a stretch. How much the gop has to give up for the Senate dems to agree to wall funding, and how far Ryan can push the House immigration hardliners is probably the story. And Trump will sign whatever McConnell and Ryan send to him.

Who told you all that? Foxnews?

You're arguing that the commitments Schumer got from McConnell aren't concessions because McConnell can't be trusted,

because he's a Republican...

...okay...

Get in line to apply for citizenship like all other legal immigrants, come back, assimilate, work hard and be a proud American. Don’t come here illegally, mooch a free education, wave a Mexican flag in our faces and tell us it’s your damn "dream”

In charge, in power and still can't get anything done. It's as if work isn't something Republicans actually do.

DT3EW15W4AE98Ry.jpg

Who told you all that? Foxnews?

You're arguing that the commitments Schumer got from McConnell aren't concessions because McConnell can't be trusted,

because he's a Republican...

...okay...

Schumer literally got NO concessions whatsoever. He got a "commitment" from McConnell that he would table a DACA bill. Duh. That's exactly what they were negotiating before the shutdown. He half-heartedly tried to spin it like he got something but really it was just backpeddling. The deal the GOP is looking for is CLEARLY to trade a DACA fix (i.e. a way to give the "dreamer" illegal aliens some type of legal status) in return for other immigration reforms like the wall, more border security, etc. Politics aside...if you think Schumer got something of value then you are dead wrong. As for me, I think McConnell caved to early. He had the Dems on the ropes and I think he should have held out for an actual "clean" budget bill approval not just a 3-week CR. But, he probably knows something I don't.

Forum List

Back