Trump: I opened up European market Europe: No you didn’t

Trump lies and his supporters defend him – it’s a sad, tedious, and moronic process.

So you won't be buying and sporting a red hat?

upload_2018-7-29_10-24-4-png.207457

"We just opened up Europe for you farmers. You're not going to be too angry with Trump, I can tell you," he said Thursday in the farming state of Iowa.

We were talking about this in the pub last night.

None of us could really get our heads around that claim. The EU has no budget to buy anything and nor can it compel its members to purchase anything. Its like the US telling Walmart it has to buy Welsh Lamb as opposed to wherever they get their normal supplies. It just doesnt happen. So how could the EU deliver on Trumps claims ?

Mr Junker said this after the meeting -

"Anyone who thinks that the Commission could decree who imports what from where, overestimates the capabilities of the Commission. Market events, especially prices, dominate the soybean sector,"

Well it turns out that European countries were already planning to buy US beans.

The two biggest exporters of soybeans are the US and Brazil.

Trumps trade war idiocy has caused the Chinese to hoover up the Brazlian crop thus driving up the cost of Brazilian soybeans.

Directly linked to this is the fact that US beans are now cheaper. European businesses were going to buy American beans anyway.

Trump was pushing at an open door. He is claiming credit for selling stuff to a willing buyer mainly because his policies have brought the cost of the product down.

There have been no other agreements on US agricultural products and any that are made will take years and not hours. The EU has just concluded tarrif free agreements with Japan and Mexico and both of those agreements took over two years.

So the idea that Trump can bang the table and crack heads to get a quick agreement is as credible as most of his other claims.

The upshot of all this posturing is that,post tarrifs, hard pressed US farmers will sell a percentage of their crop to Europe at a lower price than they were getting from China. US taxpayers will then pick up the shortfall through subsidies.

Maybe there is a genius on here who can explain the benefits in all this without reference to the Brazilian soy bean industry who probably think Donny is a living God.

EU's Juncker says trade talks with Trump almost collapsed over US agriculture demands | DW | 27.07.2018

Pres. Trump is a very astute leader and always knows what is best for our country.

American citizens need to support him and trust in his judgement when dealing with other nations. ... :thup:

"We just opened up Europe for you farmers. You're not going to be too angry with Trump, I can tell you," he said Thursday in the farming state of Iowa.

None of us could really get our heads around that claim. The EU has no budget to buy anything and nor can it compel its members to purchase anything. Its like the US telling Walmart it has to buy Welsh Lamb as opposed to wherever they get their normal supplies. It just doesnt happen. So how could the EU deliver on Trumps claims ?

"Anyone who thinks that the Commission could decree who imports what from where, overestimates the capabilities of the Commission. Market events, especially prices, dominate the soybean sector,"

Well it turns out that European countries were already planning to buy US beans.

Trumps trade war idiocy has caused the Chinese to hoover up the Brazlian crop thus driving up the cost of Brazilian soybeans.

Directly linked to this is the fact that US beans are now cheaper. European businesses were going to buy American beans anyway.

Trump was pushing at an open door. He is claiming credit for selling stuff to a willing buyer mainly because his policies have brought the cost of the product down.

There have been no other agreements on US agricultural products and any that are made will take years and not hours. The EU has just concluded tarrif free agreements with Japan and Mexico and both of those agreements took over two years.

So the idea that Trump can bang the table and crack heads to get a quick agreement is as credible as most of his other claims.

The upshot of all this posturing is that,post tarrifs, hard pressed US farmers will sell a percentage of their crop to Europe at a lower price than they were getting from China. US taxpayers will then pick up the shortfall through subsidies.

Maybe there is a genius on here who can explain the benefits in all this without reference to the Brazilian soy bean industry who probably think Donny is a living God.

EU's Juncker says trade talks with Trump almost collapsed over US agriculture demands | DW | 27.07.2018
crying gif.gif

The more you push back against Trump on trade, the more you validate his policies.

The more you push back against Trump on trade, the more you validate his policies.
I dont understand the point you are making. trump is claiming a big victory whilst Juncker is laughing all the way back to Brussels.

Trumps Great Soybean Victory - not what it seemed to be

Trump's 2016 win - not what it seemed to be, either.
Trumps trade war idiocy
You haven't noticed it (somehow) but in the last three years, EVERY SINGLE THING Trump has said and done has been decried by the media as "idiocy," it then went on to work!

So when you tell me his soybean policy is yet more idiocy, all I can say is:

THANK YOU.

I dont understand the point you are making. trump is claiming a big victory whilst Juncker is laughing all the way back to Brussels.

Why is he laughing? That is not very diplomatic is it?

The world view you lefties have been pushing is one were, for a number of reasons, these policies and trade balances don't matter.

So, the more pushback, the more you demonstrate that it DOES matter.

Otherwise, you would give US what we want, because it is not important, and it keeps the peace to humor US.

Your resistance, shows that you know it does matter.

Why is he laughing? That is not very diplomatic is it?

The world view you lefties have been pushing is one were, for a number of reasons, these policies and trade balances don't matter.

So, the more pushback, the more you demonstrate that it DOES matter.

Otherwise, you would give US what we want, because it is not important, and it keeps the peace to humor US.

Your resistance, shows that you know it does matter.
I am not sure what you want. Trump seems happy with "winning" a deal that he was going to get anyway. This macho idiocy is costing US taxpayers bigly. As an EU citizen it hasnt affected me at all.
Why dont you rgue with my op rather than ramble on ?

Trumps Great Soybean Victory - not what it seemed to be

Trump's 2016 win - not what it seemed to be, either.
Trumps trade war idiocy
You haven't noticed it (somehow) but in the last three years, EVERY SINGLE THING Trump has said and done has been decried by the media as "idiocy," it then went on to work!

So when you tell me his soybean policy is yet more idiocy, all I can say is:

THANK YOU.
I have given you facts. you have given me petulant spew. Come back when you can debate.

See! You DO have bad wiring for nerve ganglia! You mean come back when I can agree with you! But how can I ever agree that your spew are facts and that my facts (as a matter of the recent historical record!) are mere spew?

Forum List

Back