Trump ends Michelle Obama's effort to fight child hood obesity.

The menus I've seen coming from them are low calorie, low fat, low protein, and high carbohydrate. THAT, my friend is what causes type 2 diabetes, as well as high cholesterol.

Actually, type 2 diabetes is caused by a genetic defect—one that is rampant on my father's side of my family. He had it, all his brothers had it, his father had it, and now, my brother and I have it.

If you don't have the genetic pattern, then you will never develop type 2 diabetes, no matter what you eat or how you otherwise care for yourself or fail to do so.

I would have to disagree with you there. I'm type 2 and we have no diabetes in the family. But for much of my life, I was either thin or built. During the time I discovered it, I was eating well and exercising with weights. My sister has always had weight problems--especially when she was younger, and never had a sugar problem.

I do agree with you that it has little to do with diet though. From what I understand, real diabetes is caused by cells killing off each other in the pancreas. Type 1 can be controlled with weight, but less of diet.

What medications do you take because some doctors will treat you for Type 2 diabetes even if you do not meet the criteria for it.

Youre right ray, let's bring back the vending machines and pump our kids full of coke and hohos. Fuck it, they can eat healthy at home.

And they can eat unhealthy at home too.
You're right, they can... but school is a place to gain education, learn about science, the arts, our language and our history. Learn how to socialize, compete in sports, and yes learn about health and nutrition. Our schools should set examples for healthy lifestyles and when the kids leave they can go make whatever choices they want to make. There is no crazy oppression going on by giving them whole wheat pizza instead of white crust. You are manufacturing a crisis. Very snowflake of you Ray.

What good is offering whole wheat pizza if the kids do not eat and throw it away, then chew on their recycled cardboard lunch tray because it tastes better than the so-called pizza?

It says we want government out of our lives. It says we want government out of our children's lives. We want government out of our families lives.

We don't have to justify anything to anybody. We won--you lost. Elections have consequences.

You're not going to make fat kids skinny with this stupid feel good program. It's a waste of time and money. Are you so foolish enough to believe that the cause of obesity is what kids eat in school? If that were the case, they would get fat during the school year and come back skinny after summer vacation. That doesn't happen.

The future of our children does not depend on some bored lady in the White House that can get her husband to implement her ideas. Americans elected Barack, not Mooochele.
Proving my point. You want government out of your life, but you will accept government in your old age. You claim elections have consequences, but you are not willing to own the consequence of childhood obesity.

You say that childhood obesity has nothing to do with what is fed in schools while ignoring the fact that many children get their only meals at school. And then you again use this issue to attack the former First Lady.

So, you have shown precisely what I was writing about. An unconcerned, largely ignorant attitude more concerned, as sports fans are, with winning rather than leading.

The reason I will accept government in my old age is because I was forced to pay into government programs my entire life.

Back in my day as a kid, we didn't have government raise our children. We didn't have government deciding what they should or shouldn't eat. We had different people to do that. I forget what we called them now.......it was.......something like.....oh yes, they were called PARENTS!

Yes, it was the parents (not the government) that accepted responsibility for the heath of their children. If the parents thought their kid was getting overweight, they did something about it--not government.

Government does have a place in our society, but a small place. For instance if the only time a kid eats is in school, government should take that child away from the parents and charge them with endangerment. If the only time a kid eats is in school, it doesn't matter what the kid eats because you will never get fat on one meal a day. School should be a place for children to learn, not be a place that acts as surrogate parents.
You would use government to break up a family (where else have we heard that?) but not to aid in the correction of the situation. What if we were talking about cholera rather than childhood obesity? Would you insist that the folks effected turn away government help?

Like I said, government does have a small role in our country. But deciding what a kid should eat is not one of them. Eating is a personal decision. What a child eats is a parental decision. It's not a government decision.

Protecting children that are being mistreated at home is a government role because we all expect our government to protect children from abusive parents. That's because they have no choice but to be mistreated and have nowhere to go in most cases unless they run away from home.

You're not going to correct obesity at school. Most kids eat one meal in school and that isn't enough to turn a fat kid skinny. It's what they do outside of the school that helps treat their problem which again, is overseen by the parents. Thinking that school will change the physique of a child is as ridiculous as thinking somebody will turn away from McDonald's because they have the calorie count on their food items. It's nothing more than a "feel good" effort that accomplishes nothing.

"Folks, liberals measure success by intent. Conservatives measure success by results."
Rush Limbaugh
You would have a point if the schools were checking kids lunches and not allowing them to eat unhealthy foods... but they aren't doing that are they? No, they are just revamping the food that they serve to kids that buy school lunches. And guess what? If kids don't like it they can still bring In Their own lunches. This whole stripping of rights and deciding what we eat case you are trying to make is totally bogus.

Also do you really think quoting a guy like Rush, helps your credibility at all? Haha

Why not? He's correct!

It's called the politics of meaning. Liberals don't care if their programs are successful as long as they can pat themselves on the back for doing something. Conservatives want to see the program succeed, not just exist to assuage the liberal's guilt.

Youre right ray, let's bring back the vending machines and pump our kids full of coke and hohos. Fuck it, they can eat healthy at home.

And they can eat unhealthy at home too.
You're right, they can... but school is a place to gain education, learn about science, the arts, our language and our history. Learn how to socialize, compete in sports, and yes learn about health and nutrition. Our schools should set examples for healthy lifestyles and when the kids leave they can go make whatever choices they want to make. There is no crazy oppression going on by giving them whole wheat pizza instead of white crust. You are manufacturing a crisis. Very snowflake of you Ray.

What good is offering whole wheat pizza if the kids do not eat and throw it away, then chew on their recycled cardboard lunch tray because it tastes better than the so-called pizza?

Maybe kids need to grow up learning that healthy food tastes good. The attitude of "they throw it away" is the attitude of "the kids are in control".

This adminstration just doesn't stop, nor does it care. Childhood obesity and Type 2 diabetes is skyrocketing in this country. Parents should teach their kids good healthy eating habits, but it should also be reinforced in our public schools.

WASHINGTON – After only six days on the job, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue moved to stall one of former First Lady Michelle Obama’s signature accomplishments: stricter nutritional standards for school breakfasts and lunches, which feed more than 31 million children.

Speaking at Catoctin Elementary School in Leesburg, Virginia, on Monday with Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kansas, and Patricia Montague of the School Nutrition Association, Perdue announced that his department would be slowing the implementation of aggressive standards on sodium, whole grains and sweetened milks that passed under the Obama administration.

“We know meals cannot be nutritious if they’re not consumed, if they’re thrown out,” Perdue told reporters after eating chicken nuggets and salad with a group of fifth graders. “We have to balance sodium and whole grain content with palatability.”

It was the second blow to the Obama administration’s nutritional legacy in less than a week. On Friday, the Food and Drug Administration signaled its intent to rewrite long-delayed menu-labeling rules passed as part of the Affordable Care Act. Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee also attached several nutrition-related riders to this week’s appropriations bill, including one that targeted voluntary industry sodium-reductions.

“I feel that we have made such progress in schools meals over the past five years,” said Miriam Nelson, a public health researcher who helped advise Michelle Obama’s nutrition initiatives. “This progress has contributed to reversing the trend in childhood obesity rates nationwide . . . We want to continue the progress we have made.”

School lunches have seen a radical makeover in the past five years. Since 2012, when the nutrition rules mandated by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act went into effect, cafeterias have had to slash the amount of calories, trans-fats, sodium and refined grains in their foods, replacing cafeteria staples like conventional pizza with salt-reduced, whole-grain versions. They are also required to serve fruit, a variety of vegetables, and low-fat or fat-free milk.
Trump ends Michelle Obama’s plan to fight childhood obesity – The Denver Post

Here is what the next generation of kindergardners will look like.

28156-fatkids.jpg
Now we have Melania with questionable immigration history promoting republican values of posing nude for money.

This adminstration just doesn't stop, nor does it care. Childhood obesity and Type 2 diabetes is skyrocketing in this country. Parents should teach their kids good healthy eating habits, but it should also be reinforced in our public schools.

WASHINGTON – After only six days on the job, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue moved to stall one of former First Lady Michelle Obama’s signature accomplishments: stricter nutritional standards for school breakfasts and lunches, which feed more than 31 million children.

Speaking at Catoctin Elementary School in Leesburg, Virginia, on Monday with Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kansas, and Patricia Montague of the School Nutrition Association, Perdue announced that his department would be slowing the implementation of aggressive standards on sodium, whole grains and sweetened milks that passed under the Obama administration.

“We know meals cannot be nutritious if they’re not consumed, if they’re thrown out,” Perdue told reporters after eating chicken nuggets and salad with a group of fifth graders. “We have to balance sodium and whole grain content with palatability.”

It was the second blow to the Obama administration’s nutritional legacy in less than a week. On Friday, the Food and Drug Administration signaled its intent to rewrite long-delayed menu-labeling rules passed as part of the Affordable Care Act. Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee also attached several nutrition-related riders to this week’s appropriations bill, including one that targeted voluntary industry sodium-reductions.

“I feel that we have made such progress in schools meals over the past five years,” said Miriam Nelson, a public health researcher who helped advise Michelle Obama’s nutrition initiatives. “This progress has contributed to reversing the trend in childhood obesity rates nationwide . . . We want to continue the progress we have made.”

School lunches have seen a radical makeover in the past five years. Since 2012, when the nutrition rules mandated by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act went into effect, cafeterias have had to slash the amount of calories, trans-fats, sodium and refined grains in their foods, replacing cafeteria staples like conventional pizza with salt-reduced, whole-grain versions. They are also required to serve fruit, a variety of vegetables, and low-fat or fat-free milk.

28156-fatkids.jpg

That was a great plan 'cept there is a problem in this country for a lot of school children. It's called food insecurity. You will recognize this in areas where schools or programs try to send the kids home with something on the weekends. Often there are summer food programs. Many of those have been cut. I don't know if you are aware of this. It doesn't sound like it. Perhaps you were counting on charity organizations to fill that gap. That was a great plan too. 'Cept what many charity organizations found is that all of the people that had been donating lost jobs etc. and were in a place of need as well.
An example:
Study finds food insecurity exists across all of Indiana

Once that "nutrition legacy" came about the kids that had been taking half their lunch and shoving it in their pockets so they could eat later or eating on the weekend were unable to do so.

When I was teaching, we had a "backpack" program where kids would be given food to take home to eat over the weekend. Guess how much of that food went home with the kid? None! They would come back to class and give the good stuff to their classmates who didn't qualify and throw the rest away. After a few weeks, the kids would not even bother to go pick it up at the end of the day on Friday. The program dies after a few short months because everyone saw it was a waste of time and money.

She was a typical Nanny Stater jerk. Feeding kids healthier meals in school, was a good idea. But like all Nanny Staters, she abused the power. When she ordered school officials to inspect kids' lunch boxes to make sure parents packed them a 'Healthy Meal', she went too far. That's always the big problem with Authoritarians. They can't control themselves. They always end up abusing power.
More conservative propaganda

Michelle Obama did not “order” any lunchbox inspections
That is up to local school districts

In other words, her minions did it instead.
Michelle Obama has no minions in local school districts

Maybe not personally, but Democrats march like Nazi's in lockstep.

The problem was the feds (pushed by Mooochelle) required schools to inspect lunches, and if they did not meet the government requirements, the school was forced into providing the items those homemade lunches did not have, and that cost them money.

In order to try and force parents into making lunches that met FEDERAL requirements, they confiscated food items not on that list.

DHHS Defends School Lunch Inspections

Now, in fairness, that was a pre-school program.

As usual, the Nanny Staters abused their power. Schools started checking kids' lunch boxes to see if their parents were up to 'Nanny State Code' on what they packed them for lunch. They were even throwing kids' snacks away. You can't give Nanny Staters an inch.
Link?

Miriam Nelson the Public Health advisor in favor of keeping the Michelle Obama’program says “we’ve made progress” yet provides no specifics to back it up. This is typical of Liberals.

Proving my point. You want government out of your life, but you will accept government in your old age. You claim elections have consequences, but you are not willing to own the consequence of childhood obesity.

You say that childhood obesity has nothing to do with what is fed in schools while ignoring the fact that many children get their only meals at school. And then you again use this issue to attack the former First Lady.

So, you have shown precisely what I was writing about. An unconcerned, largely ignorant attitude more concerned, as sports fans are, with winning rather than leading.

The reason I will accept government in my old age is because I was forced to pay into government programs my entire life.

Back in my day as a kid, we didn't have government raise our children. We didn't have government deciding what they should or shouldn't eat. We had different people to do that. I forget what we called them now.......it was.......something like.....oh yes, they were called PARENTS!

Yes, it was the parents (not the government) that accepted responsibility for the heath of their children. If the parents thought their kid was getting overweight, they did something about it--not government.

Government does have a place in our society, but a small place. For instance if the only time a kid eats is in school, government should take that child away from the parents and charge them with endangerment. If the only time a kid eats is in school, it doesn't matter what the kid eats because you will never get fat on one meal a day. School should be a place for children to learn, not be a place that acts as surrogate parents.
You would use government to break up a family (where else have we heard that?) but not to aid in the correction of the situation. What if we were talking about cholera rather than childhood obesity? Would you insist that the folks effected turn away government help?

Like I said, government does have a small role in our country. But deciding what a kid should eat is not one of them. Eating is a personal decision. What a child eats is a parental decision. It's not a government decision.

Protecting children that are being mistreated at home is a government role because we all expect our government to protect children from abusive parents. That's because they have no choice but to be mistreated and have nowhere to go in most cases unless they run away from home.

You're not going to correct obesity at school. Most kids eat one meal in school and that isn't enough to turn a fat kid skinny. It's what they do outside of the school that helps treat their problem which again, is overseen by the parents. Thinking that school will change the physique of a child is as ridiculous as thinking somebody will turn away from McDonald's because they have the calorie count on their food items. It's nothing more than a "feel good" effort that accomplishes nothing.

"Folks, liberals measure success by intent. Conservatives measure success by results."
Rush Limbaugh
You would have a point if the schools were checking kids lunches and not allowing them to eat unhealthy foods... but they aren't doing that are they? No, they are just revamping the food that they serve to kids that buy school lunches. And guess what? If kids don't like it they can still bring In Their own lunches. This whole stripping of rights and deciding what we eat case you are trying to make is totally bogus.

Also do you really think quoting a guy like Rush, helps your credibility at all? Haha

Why not? He's correct!

It's called the politics of meaning. Liberals don't care if their programs are successful as long as they can pat themselves on the back for doing something. Conservatives want to see the program succeed, not just exist to assuage the liberal's guilt.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Your Cheeto Jesus doesn't give one wet fart about any of you poor RWNJ's.
Everything he has done & is doing is to make sure you stupid fucks die at a young age - before you can get your hands on any of that social security (you earned).

He's gonna build a wall & a hotel in NK with those funds.

You idiots will be poor, sick & homeless & you're so stupid you're thanking him for methodically killing you.

MAGA you morons.

Rush Limbaugh

Why not? He's correct!

So you couldn't come up with anything to say or totally screwed up the quote function?

Your Cheeto Jesus doesn't give one wet fart about any of you poor RWNJ's.
Everything he has done & is doing is to make sure you stupid fucks die at a young age - before you can get your hands on any of that social security (you earned).

He's gonna build a wall & a hotel in NK with those funds.

You idiots will be poor, sick & homeless & you're so stupid you're thanking him for methodically killing you.

MAGA you morons.

Luaghing animated .gif

28156-fatkids.jpg
Now we have Melania with questionable immigration history promoting republican values of posing nude for money.

Oh, so now you leftists are getting morals. :21:

The menus I've seen coming from them are low calorie, low fat, low protein, and high carbohydrate. THAT, my friend is what causes type 2 diabetes, as well as high cholesterol.

Actually, type 2 diabetes is caused by a genetic defect—one that is rampant on my father's side of my family. He had it, all his brothers had it, his father had it, and now, my brother and I have it.

If you don't have the genetic pattern, then you will never develop type 2 diabetes, no matter what you eat or how you otherwise care for yourself or fail to do so.

I would have to disagree with you there. I'm type 2 and we have no diabetes in the family. But for much of my life, I was either thin or built. During the time I discovered it, I was eating well and exercising with weights. My sister has always had weight problems--especially when she was younger, and never had a sugar problem.

I do agree with you that it has little to do with diet though. From what I understand, real diabetes is caused by cells killing off each other in the pancreas. Type 1 can be controlled with weight, but less of diet.

What medications do you take because some doctors will treat you for Type 2 diabetes even if you do not meet the criteria for it.

It's really on the fence and the doctors and patients call. I've known heavy people who had some sugar problems and corrected it with diet, but those are not serious cases. Serious cases require insulin and there is no way around it. Minor cases can be controlled with pills, but I'm really not familiar with those since it's been years since I tried them. Looking over what I wrote, I switched type 1 and 2. I'm actually type 1 and take insulin.

I have a friend who uses pills and he does okay, but he makes a lot of sacrifices to use them. You have to just about starve yourself and no goodies of any kind for them to work. As he told me, he doesn't even bother going to restaurants anymore because it's just no fun when you can't have most of what they offer. With insulin, you can adjust the dosage for what you are going to eat. That doesn't mean you can eat like a pig, but you can have more than you can just taking pills.

28156-fatkids.jpg

That was a great plan 'cept there is a problem in this country for a lot of school children. It's called food insecurity. You will recognize this in areas where schools or programs try to send the kids home with something on the weekends. Often there are summer food programs. Many of those have been cut. I don't know if you are aware of this. It doesn't sound like it. Perhaps you were counting on charity organizations to fill that gap. That was a great plan too. 'Cept what many charity organizations found is that all of the people that had been donating lost jobs etc. and were in a place of need as well.
An example:
Study finds food insecurity exists across all of Indiana

Once that "nutrition legacy" came about the kids that had been taking half their lunch and shoving it in their pockets so they could eat later or eating on the weekend were unable to do so.

When I was teaching, we had a "backpack" program where kids would be given food to take home to eat over the weekend. Guess how much of that food went home with the kid? None! They would come back to class and give the good stuff to their classmates who didn't qualify and throw the rest away. After a few weeks, the kids would not even bother to go pick it up at the end of the day on Friday. The program dies after a few short months because everyone saw it was a waste of time and money.
We had that out here as well and the backpacks made it home or at least out the door. Ours got canned when they cut the social workers out of the schools.

Forum List

Back