Trump aims to "help" farmers who are hurt by China's tariff retaliations

I must still fight the belief that farmers receive heavy subsidies. Again, farmers put their own money into crop insurance. I'm not saying there is no government aid, but saying that farming is massively subsidized is in my opinion slanderous.
It is massively subsidized. To the tune of $20 billion a year.

I live in farm country, I have relatives that farm, and nobody is swimming in government money. They aren't asking for it either.
/——/ Libs say we don’t need farms. We get our food from the supermarket.
Show me evidence for your claim that "libs say we don't need farms".

Thanks.

I must still fight the belief that farmers receive heavy subsidies. Again, farmers put their own money into crop insurance. I'm not saying there is no government aid, but saying that farming is massively subsidized is in my opinion slanderous.

Had no idea it was that much. That is astonishing!

Its rather amazing how this idiot-in-chief keeps screwing up......and his moronic base blindly cheers him on as robotic cult members.

Trump placed tariffs on China (as well as to the EU and our neighbors)

China, of course retaliates by imposing tariffs on U.S. goods, especially on SOY BEANS

China then urges Chinese farmers to grow more domestic soy beans and turns to countries likes Brazil as potential sources of such a commodity........A fact that will almost forever kill our soy bean exports to the lucrative Chinese market.

Soooooo, pressured by red state republicans, what does Trump do???

Well, my fellow Americans, we will now begin to subsidize soy bean farmers for their heavy losses in perpetuity......Nice, huh???

Yes, the Trump administration is considering "buying" the soybeans that China will NO longer want from us..........Let's all enjoy a tall glass of soy milk....It will soon be a heck of a lot cheaper....but, of course, we will then piss off dairy farmers.

(hope we will enjoy those "huge" tax cuts as our debt skyrockets because, among other screw ups because of the orange idiot, we need to have yet another expense to subsidize our own farmers.)

Trump’s Trade War Is Hurting Red-State Farmers—and Ripping Their GOP Senators Apart
Lawmakers disagree about using government subsidies to quell tariff woes.

Trump’s trade war is hurting red-state farmers—and ripping their GOP senators apart

I like it

No ONE would ever "accuse" you of having a fucking brain, Frankie.....lol

I live in farm country, I have relatives that farm, and nobody is swimming in government money. They aren't asking for it either.
Anecdotes don't mean shit.

The farm industry is subsidized to the tune of $20 billion a year. Government gifts. That's a fact.

Where the hell are these 'gifts' going? You don't have to believe me or any anecdotes, that doesn't change how things are in my neck of the woods.

Our amazing Pres. Trump is the best president that America has had in decades. ....
lR6DtsoniWnqWD2guOcFsVkww4o3e6WDrBV01qFxEJMIh9-asn2IS_yHf5S1AoFIBP59DTtMd3lxR4rStY69KZKIZWY5TqU8JtXU=s0-d-e1-ft

He is a great leader and knows what is best for the country.

We are truly a blessed nation to have him in the White House. .... :cool:
Grovel, peasant

Anecdotes don't mean shit.

The farm industry is subsidized to the tune of $20 billion a year. Government gifts. That's a fact.

Where the hell are these 'gifts' going?

The federal government spends more than $20 billion a year on subsidies for farm businesses. About 39 percent of the nation's 2.1 million farms receive subsidies, with the lion's share of the handouts going to the largest producers of corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton, and rice.

Agricultural Subsidies

Not at all. I know that many deals wrt wheat etc have been sent the US farmers' way because of farm subsidies. They're sorty of a quiet tax boondoggle.
American farm subsidies are egregiously expensive, harvesting $20 billion a year from taxpayers’ pockets. Most of the money goes to big, rich farmers producing staple commodities such as corn and soyabeans in states such as Iowa.

Few politicians are inclined to vote against farm subsidies: though farmers make up only a small number of voters, even in agricultural states, they are loud and organised enough to punish lawmakers who vote against a farm bill. Opposition to spending is muted; few voters realise how much of their money is given to farmers and even fewer would change their vote because of it.

The 2014 bill, which passed with 68 votes in the Senate and comfortably in the House, at least nodded to reform. Most importantly Congress abolished direct payments based on land ownership. Instead, farmers now get more subsidised insurance, and new payments which are linked to past crop prices and productivity. Those not “actively engaged” in farming are in theory banned from collecting subsidies—though Congress delegated the task of defining who is really a farmer to Mr Vilsack’s department.

This new system was meant to save around $23 billion over a decade—partly through cuts to food stamps for hard-up families, a welfare programme which, oddly, is administered by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). But because payments are linked to commodity prices and output, the new system could cost much more, says Vincent Smith, an agricultural economist at Montana State University. It could also get America into trouble with the World Trade Organisation if payments exceed certain thresholds.

Ominously, on February 10th the USDA predicted that net farm income would decline by 32% between 2014 and 2015. Commodities such as corn (which in America is used to produce everything from biofuel to syrup) and soya have become less valuable of late thanks to soaring supply and weak demand. Falling prices reduce the cost of subsidised crop insurance to the taxpayer (since less valuable crops cost less to insure). But those gains will be wiped out and more by the cost of compensating farmers for their lower incomes.

Any new rules designed to stop non-farmers from getting payments will be unlikely to work, predicts Mr Smith. While it may be possible to stop some landowners from claiming payments, they will adapt: “You hire a good agricultural lawyer and redefine the structure of the farm.” Many landowners have already found their way around similar rules introduced in the farm bill of 2008, nominating young children as farmers, or claiming to be engaged in farming by providing management advice. Alfalfa non-growers still have bumper times ahead.

Milking taxpayers

Greg

China has been stealing US technology for years, manipulating their currency and ripping off American businesses and you're worried about a few bloody soya beans?? WTF are you; a bloody soy boy or something??

Greg

Another trump ass kisser, "defends" the moron-in-chief because......
well because THAT is what Trump cult members must do.......LOL
/—-/ When you can’t refute a conservative’s post, which is often, you resort to juvenile insults.
Like "Libs say we don’t need farms."

Still waiting for evidence to support that claim.

China has been stealing US technology for years, manipulating their currency and ripping off American businesses and you're worried about a few bloody soya beans?? WTF are you; a bloody soy boy or something??

Greg

Another trump ass kisser, "defends" the moron-in-chief because......well because THAT is what Trump cult members must do.......LOL

What you fantasise about Hillary must be somewhat indelicate.

Greg

Its rather amazing how this idiot-in-chief keeps screwing up......and his moronic base blindly cheers him on as robotic cult members.

Trump placed tariffs on China (as well as to the EU and our neighbors)

China, of course retaliates by imposing tariffs on U.S. goods, especially on SOY BEANS

China then urges Chinese farmers to grow more domestic soy beans and turns to countries likes Brazil as potential sources of such a commodity........A fact that will almost forever kill our soy bean exports to the lucrative Chinese market.

Soooooo, pressured by red state republicans, what does Trump do???

Well, my fellow Americans, we will now begin to subsidize soy bean farmers for their heavy losses in perpetuity......Nice, huh???

Yes, the Trump administration is considering "buying" the soybeans that China will NO longer want from us..........Let's all enjoy a tall glass of soy milk....It will soon be a heck of a lot cheaper....but, of course, we will then piss off dairy farmers.

(hope we will enjoy those "huge" tax cuts as our debt skyrockets because, among other screw ups because of the orange idiot, we need to have yet another expense to subsidize our own farmers.)

Trump’s Trade War Is Hurting Red-State Farmers—and Ripping Their GOP Senators Apart
Lawmakers disagree about using government subsidies to quell tariff woes.

Trump’s trade war is hurting red-state farmers—and ripping their GOP senators apart

Nothing says 'Free Trade' and Capitalism like government subsidies for Agriculture......

Greg

Another trump ass kisser, "defends" the moron-in-chief because......well because THAT is what Trump cult members must do.......LOL

What you fantasise about Hillary must be somewhat indelicate.

Greg
Actually, protectionist tariffs are a left wing thing.

Trump is a New York Democrat, and always will be.

Thanks.
/——/
upload_2018-6-29_15-4-41.jpeg

Contards say we should jail all non-whites. Whites are the only Americans that matter.

Thanks.
/——/ View attachment 201838
BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Ohmygod, you fell for a hoax! Again.

Priceless.

It's amazing how you rubes keep going back to drink from the same piss bowls over and over and over and over and over again. You NEVER learn!

You DESERVE to be lied to.

Greg

Another trump ass kisser, "defends" the moron-in-chief because......
well because THAT is what Trump cult members must do.......LOL
/—-/ When you can’t refute a conservative’s post, which is often, you resort to juvenile insults.
Like "Libs say we don’t need farms."

Still waiting for evidence to support that claim.

'Sallright, Comrade!!

Collective farming and communal farming are various types of "agricultural production in which multiple farmers run their holdings as a joint enterprise."[1] That type of collective is often an agricultural cooperative in which member-owners jointly engage in farming activities. The process by which farmland is aggregated, often by force, is called collectivization. In some countries (including the Soviet Union, the Eastern Bloc countries, China, and Vietnam), there have been state-run and cooperative-run variants. For example, the Soviet Union had both kolkhozy (cooperative-run type) and sovkhozy (state-run type), often denoted in English as collective farms and state farms, respectively.

Works real well in all its commie manifestations!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg

Not at all. I know that many deals wrt wheat etc have been sent the US farmers' way because of farm subsidies. They're sorty of a quiet tax boondoggle.
American farm subsidies are egregiously expensive, harvesting $20 billion a year from taxpayers’ pockets. Most of the money goes to big, rich farmers producing staple commodities such as corn and soyabeans in states such as Iowa.

Few politicians are inclined to vote against farm subsidies: though farmers make up only a small number of voters, even in agricultural states, they are loud and organised enough to punish lawmakers who vote against a farm bill. Opposition to spending is muted; few voters realise how much of their money is given to farmers and even fewer would change their vote because of it.

The 2014 bill, which passed with 68 votes in the Senate and comfortably in the House, at least nodded to reform. Most importantly Congress abolished direct payments based on land ownership. Instead, farmers now get more subsidised insurance, and new payments which are linked to past crop prices and productivity. Those not “actively engaged” in farming are in theory banned from collecting subsidies—though Congress delegated the task of defining who is really a farmer to Mr Vilsack’s department.

This new system was meant to save around $23 billion over a decade—partly through cuts to food stamps for hard-up families, a welfare programme which, oddly, is administered by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). But because payments are linked to commodity prices and output, the new system could cost much more, says Vincent Smith, an agricultural economist at Montana State University. It could also get America into trouble with the World Trade Organisation if payments exceed certain thresholds.

Ominously, on February 10th the USDA predicted that net farm income would decline by 32% between 2014 and 2015. Commodities such as corn (which in America is used to produce everything from biofuel to syrup) and soya have become less valuable of late thanks to soaring supply and weak demand. Falling prices reduce the cost of subsidised crop insurance to the taxpayer (since less valuable crops cost less to insure). But those gains will be wiped out and more by the cost of compensating farmers for their lower incomes.

Any new rules designed to stop non-farmers from getting payments will be unlikely to work, predicts Mr Smith. While it may be possible to stop some landowners from claiming payments, they will adapt: “You hire a good agricultural lawyer and redefine the structure of the farm.” Many landowners have already found their way around similar rules introduced in the farm bill of 2008, nominating young children as farmers, or claiming to be engaged in farming by providing management advice. Alfalfa non-growers still have bumper times ahead.

Milking taxpayers

Greg

I know farmers used to get money for not planting certain crops, but that ended years ago. I'm sure there are shady pork deals, but I'm still not seeing the government propping up farms. I'm open minded. I honestly don't see the government piggy bank, but if you prove me wrong I'll own up.

Thanks.
/——/ View attachment 201838

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/did-trudeau-canada-american-farmers/

This quote was completely invented — apparently from whole cloth — in order to paint Canada’s leader as ignorant and give bots and trolls fodder with which to criticize the international community in defense of President Donald Trump’s escalating trade war.

This quote seemingly originated in a thread on QAnon.news, a web site dedicated to a bizarre right-wing conspiracy theory dealing in everything from “PizzaGate” to the “Illuminati” to the “Deep State,” and which bears a suspicious resemblance to the hall-of-mirrors style of Kremlin disinformation apparently aimed at weakening the relationships between the United States and its allies. Vice provides a brief summary of the QAnon conspiracy theor

Milking taxpayers

Greg

I know farmers used to get money for not planting certain crops, but that ended years ago. I'm sure there are shady pork deals, but I'm still not seeing the government propping up farms. I'm open minded. I honestly don't see the government piggy bank, but if you prove me wrong I'll own up.

He just provided the article to you.

Forum List

Back